Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

Removing second cat?

3K views 25 replies 6 participants last post by  Spitfire 
#1 ·
What would the gain be if the second cat is removed?
And - will the engine recognize the loss of second cat?

#6 ·
Did you have the aluminum spare wheel? My temp spare tire developed a bulge and the tread separated just sitting in the trunk over the years. Went to check the air pressure and could see it was distorted. Never been mounted on the car.

The OE wheels are boat anchors too.

#24 ·
This is a comment from the test pipe selling company: "This item will most likley cause a Check engine light to come on, this light does not effect the performance of the engine, just an indicator light that there are no cats."

If that is true, the engine actually does recognize the second cat as well as the first one, and therefore will indicate a change in cat setup at the car inspection : (

#25 ·
It's not true for the second cat. There is no sensor that is after the second cat so it may as well not be there as far as the engine and ECU are concerned. the only possibility would be if the main cat at the manifold was inefficient and they actually tested the exhaust gas.

And for that matter seeing as they are a simple bolt on you can just swap the old back in if you need them to pass.

#26 ·
As stated above, the exhaust sensor is at the first set of catalytic converters from the engine, so removing the second catalytic converters will not trigger any kind of warning. Doing so will free up the exhaust air flow. I have not noticed any smells of exhaust or gas from removing mine and leaving the first set on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.