2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 09-17-2019 Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Enigne optimization yesterday - my experience

Yesterday i picked up my car at the car tuning firm, after having it tuned by "Autostable tuning" here in Sweden. They had the car from 09.00 in the morning to 15.30 in the afternoon, and after a little chat and explanation about the procedure done, i got the keys for a first testrun.
The instructions were in short: use 98 octane fuel, let the automate gearbox adapt the first 2-3 fuel fillings, inform the service personal at Hyundai not to overwrite the settings on service intervals, and...take it easy on first run after tuning : )

When starting up the car i noticed just a little deeper sound in neutral, almost not audibly, and the idling was smoother and slightly lower rpm than before.

Putting in drive and rolling out from the parking area at the site, i could barely touch the pedal before the wheels lost grip. Before the tuning i could feel a slight delay in the gearbox before the torque hit, but now it was there from the bottom. Big difference.

Heading out through the neighborhood for the highway, it felt almost as before, except for the immidiate respons from the throttle. The sound was just slightly higher.

The biggest difference noticed was in acceleration and torque. I could not give full throttle from start because the tires (245īs rear wheel) lost grip, but when up in speed a bit i tried, and the car responsed so damn quick. At 100 km/h when kickdown 80% or so, the wheels lost grip and the car skidded sidways for a second before the antispinn/antiskid straightened it up again.
The road was a bit moisty at the time, so on a really dry road, it would be a better measure of acceleration of course.
It feels almost as my supercharged BMW 330 that was benched to 350 hk.

My testimonial : ) - worth every damn penny...or Krona, as it is here in Sweden.

With lighter wheels and some kind of CAI installed, this is a sports car

*damned, i spelled "engine" wrong in the topic*

*if it has wheels or boobs, it will cost you*

Last edited by Sweden; 09-17-2019 at 11:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 09-18-2019

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
F-ck yeah

Glad you found someone capable,..............I think its funny your guy tuned you for 98 octane.
My guy tuned me for 98-100 octane ( with meth too, of course I'm a turbo). Point is its funny how SME's all turn to "fueling".

Don't know what its like in Sweden in terms of chemical access. If you like I can PM you fuel templates. Mixing your own is much more economical, and a fresh mix will yield up to 12% more energy per cc than anything thats been sitting around.

The stock wheels suck, so does the stock rear,..its mushy. Your next project(s).

Oh and friend, Put a big ass sticker near your ecm,DON'T TOUCH. Kiss your warranty goodbye. She's all yours now.
Sweden likes this.

Here we go again !

Last edited by Gaijinn; 09-18-2019 at 10:13 AM.
post #3 of 25 Old 09-18-2019 Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

- There were actually more than one technician involved in the opitimization process in this case. And yes, they always tune the cars to get the most power at 98 octane (or 98+ as i use mostly).
Itīs the normal procedure here in Sweden, since the lowest octane we use is 95 octane. But itīs allright with me - no probs fuelling the higher octane.

The wheels yes...i will be looking for a set of lightweight rims and also lighter tires, since the rotation forces is big part of the tuning in my opinion.

The rear, as the whole chassi, is really stiff in my car. It is hard and almost too "bumpy", and feels almost as riding an 70īs Porsche 911.

And yes - please PM the magic soup mix you refer to. I donīt know about the access to the ingredients here, but iīm all ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaijinn View Post
Glad you found someone capable,..............I think its funny your guy tuned you for 98 octane.
My guy tuned me for 98-100 octane ( with meth too, of course I'm a turbo). Point is its funny how SME's all turn to "fueling".

Don't know what its like in Sweden in terms of chemical access. If you like I can PM you fuel templates. Mixing your own is much more economical, and a fresh mix will yield up to 12% more energy per cc than anything thats been sitting around.

The stock wheels suck, so does the stock rear,..its mushy. Your next project(s).

Oh and friend, Put a big ass sticker near your ecm,DON'T TOUCH. Kiss your warranty goodbye. She's all yours now.

post #4 of 25 Old 09-19-2019

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 748 Post(s)

I wish we got 98 oct.

Highest we can get at the pump is 90.
post #5 of 25 Old 09-19-2019

Cool How true..........

I just noticed the saying on the bottom of your posts,..................Lord how true.

Here we go again !
post #6 of 25 Old 09-19-2019 Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKGC View Post
I wish we got 98 oct.

- Ahh, too bad. The lowest we had was 93, but that is long gone. Most performance vehicles here use 98+, called "98 Super+". The power difference sure is noticable.

I use this for both my ZX7/9 and the car.

post #7 of 25 Old 09-19-2019 Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
I just noticed the saying on the bottom of your posts,..................Lord how true.
- In fact, my girlfriend is not a big expense...and sheīs got b**bs allright

But - motorcycles and cars sure do. Thatīs why i sort these under "pleasures" and not expenses.

post #8 of 25 Old 09-23-2019 Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Yesterday i ordered a K&N-filter to replace the original in the airbox.
This because iīve read that it increases the enginesound (intake growl?) a bit, and i really like the sound of this engine.
Would like to increase the deep grumble in idling too, but guess it will only be noticable when revving the engine.

Anyone here that can describe a difference in sound on these cars?

post #9 of 25 Old 09-24-2019

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 748 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweden View Post
Yesterday i ordered a K&N-filter to replace the original in the airbox.
This because iīve read that it increases the enginesound (intake growl?) a bit, and i really like the sound of this engine.
Would like to increase the deep grumble in idling too, but guess it will only be noticable when revving the engine.

Anyone here that can describe a difference in sound on these cars?
I have one on my 2.0 (because I don't want to wait 2 weeks to get an oem filter, because no on in my freakin city carries any)
On mine there is increase turbo spool noise. I would assume that there would be increase engine noise with the 3.8
Any performance gain is negligible.
post #10 of 25 Old 09-26-2019 Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Yesterday after gym i switched to a K&N box air filter.
The experience so far - just one day - is that the sound changed slightly from a deep growl when hitting the pedal, to a more *donīt know the english word for the opposite to "deep" in that syntax*.
Anyway, the difference iīve recognized so far is this slight difference in sound when accelerating. Almost as if one muffler was empty from the silencing contains.

I also changed the "Hyundai"-badges both front and rear, and that really looks good now with the black "Genesis"-wings on instead : )

post #11 of 25 Old 09-27-2019
In Charge of Snacks

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)

So, If I ever get around to my dream of shipping my car to Norway for a road trip, can we do a Scandinavian photoshoot? Maybe Fredrikstad harbor or near the castle? Are there many GC's in Sweden? I never saw one during my last trip. Spent a few days in Uppsala and Stockholm. I've definitely never seen one in Norway.

'11 3.8 R-spec
Now trying to build the impossible
post #12 of 25 Old 09-30-2019 Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odelagt View Post
So, If I ever get around to my dream of shipping my car to Norway for a road trip, can we do a Scandinavian photoshoot? Maybe Fredrikstad harbor or near the castle? Are there many GC's in Sweden? I never saw one during my last trip. Spent a few days in Uppsala and Stockholm. I've definitely never seen one in Norway.
- If you refer to me, i live in Sweden and a photoshoot would have to be here if it should be possible. Fredrikstad is far from were i live on the southern east coast of Sweden.

I think there are 100+ GCīs in Sweden, but only 70 with this 3.8 engine.

post #13 of 25 Old 10-01-2019
In Charge of Snacks

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)

Quote:
- If you refer to me, i live in Sweden and a photoshoot would have to be here if it should be possible. Fredrikstad is far from were i live on the southern east coast of Sweden.

I think there are 100+ GCīs in Sweden, but only 70 with this 3.8 engine.
Ja, min svenske kamerat, I refer to you! I apologize, my concept of "Far" is definitely skewed. It's easy and cheap for me to drive a few hundred miles here in the US. It doesn't readily occur to me how costly, in time and fuel, road travel can be in Sweden, nor even Norway(with which I'm actually very familiar). I should know better. Friends of mine live a couple hours North of Bergen; I arbitrarily chose a "halfway" point that seems like a cool place. Regardless, might be fun to see more of Southern Sweden by road. Maybe in the next year or two...

Tell me, are your maximum legal road speeds as punishingly slow as they are in Norway? The drive from Oslo to say, Kalmar or Kristianstad(600km?), would be fairly dismal at 90 kph(56mph).

'11 3.8 R-spec
Now trying to build the impossible
post #14 of 25 Old 10-01-2019 Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odelagt View Post
Ja, min svenske kamerat, I refer to you! I apologize, my concept of "Far" is definitely skewed. It's easy and cheap for me to drive a few hundred miles here in the US. It doesn't readily occur to me how costly, in time and fuel, road travel can be in Sweden, nor even Norway(with which I'm actually very familiar). I should know better. Friends of mine live a couple hours North of Bergen; I arbitrarily chose a "halfway" point that seems like a cool place. Regardless, might be fun to see more of Southern Sweden by road. Maybe in the next year or two...

Tell me, are your maximum legal road speeds as punishingly slow as they are in Norway? The drive from Oslo to say, Kalmar or Kristianstad(600km?), would be fairly dismal at 90 kph(56mph).
- Yes, well a trip of 600 km in a car is dismal regardless speed, if you ask me : )
Anyhoo - the speed limits differs on roads, but the most common legal speed is 90 or 100 km/h.
The common flow on the "100-roads" is about 110-130 km/h.

post #15 of 25 Old 10-02-2019

For you "MERICAn"s" reading 100 km/h is only 60 mph. Not fast. Even Austin TX has some highway where the speed limit is 85 mph.

We want to go 230 km/h.

Here we go again !
post #16 of 25 Old 10-02-2019 Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
For you "MERICAn"s" reading 100 km/h is only 60 mph. Not fast. Even Austin TX has some highway where the speed limit is 85 mph.

We want to go 230 km/h.

- Correct.

And also only 324 persons killed in car accidents in Sweden last year.

post #17 of 25 Old 10-02-2019
br2
Bill

Quoted: 142 Post(s)

well y'all just aren't trying...
post #18 of 25 Old 10-02-2019

Quote:
- Correct.

And also only 324 persons killed in car accidents in Sweden last year.
Thats rendonkulus, (good). Every year in the US 10,000 people are killed in alcohol related traffic deaths alone. Dont know the total figure of the additional non alcihol related. EVERY year. Thats more people than were killed in the entire Vietnam war (US losses) which lasted like 10 years.

Here we go again !

Last edited by Gaijinn; 10-02-2019 at 09:44 AM.
post #19 of 25 Old 10-03-2019
The whistles go WOO! WOO!

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKGC View Post
I wish we got 98 oct.

It's different octane. They use RON rather than AKI.

98 RON is about 94 AKI.

So still better than what you can find, but I'm able to get 94 here in Toronto. Our normal premium is 91.

2010 Red GT Navi 3.8 m/t
post #20 of 25 Old 10-03-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomDestructn View Post
It's different octane. They use RON rather than AKI.

98 RON is about 94 AKI.

So still better than what you can find, but I'm able to get 94 here in Toronto. Our normal premium is 91.

My mix is 100 MON the most stringent of the ratings. No ethanol/tolu/iso oct/MTBE and add packs. Its da shnits !
Odelagt likes this.

Here we go again !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Genesis Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page