Flowmaster Vs. Magnaflow - Hyundai Genesis Forum
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By andbudzi
  • 2 Post By superchode
  • 1 Post By mattmc
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 02-13-2017 Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Flowmaster Vs. Magnaflow

Hello. I just created an account. I have a 2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 track. I don't want to spend too much; I just want my car to be louder because it's so quiet. I was looking at the Flowmaster 80 series and I like the way it sounds from YouTube videos. Question is, is there anything louder than the 80 series? Maybe going to the Magnaflow side? No, I don't wanna straight pipe it. Basically, I want loud but not straight piped loud.
steezymanny is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 Old 02-13-2017
Senior Member
 
andbudzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: muskegon, MI
Posts: 1,614
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)

Remove secondary cats and replace them with strait pipes to make yor xhaust louder.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
shorttrack likes this.

13 Genesis Track - MagnaFlow exhaust, test pipes, midpipes, custom CAI, LW Pulleys, Koning Oversteer rims, Stance coilovers, carbon fiber grill, front lip.

06 Outback 5spd - Winter muel.
14 Explorer 3.5 TT - Kids hauler with 18psi of punch.
03 Tiburon V6 custom T4E turbo - Ex mistress ...
andbudzi is offline  
post #3 of 18 Old 02-19-2017
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I've had the series 80 and straight pipes after pre-cats, cats, and a resonator.

The straight pipes was way too loud and sounded like a Camaro. Huge amount of boomy drone.

If you don't want to spend a lot of money just get the galvanized Flowmaster 80. I think it will be louder than the Magnaflow but not too loud.

I believe the series 80 is an easier install, too. I don't think Magnaflow has the single-in, dual out (one out per end of the muffler) configuration the series 80 FM does.

With the series 80 configuration the installer can leave the pre-muffler clamp right where it is and weld in your muffler. This makes future changes easier.

JMO.

2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 R-Spec
Cobra2Genesis is offline  
 
post #4 of 18 Old 02-19-2017
Senior Member
 
superchode's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,207
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Garage

Hehe i just redid my exhaust. So i have a bolt on cat back with a crossflow muffler (its a knock off of the flowmaster, team allied) with resonator delete freshly painted. Just painted it to prevent corrosion while it sits up in my garage. I would offer someone to take it off my hands or even borrow it if they want to see if they like it. warning.... It is an angy exhaust, but not at all pretty but who cares you cant see it under the car anyway lolz. I loved it and thats why i kept it. All you have to do is unbolt your stock exhaust from the cats back and this will bolt right in hangers and all. Ive got a video or two and pics. I aint shipping it so if you arent near SoCal then no go.... You can pm me if you want and atleast i can share the video and pics to give you an idea of what the setup is like . I had it done for about $600 total
superchode is offline  
post #5 of 18 Old 03-02-2017 Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)

Thanks man. I ordered the muffler and 2 dual tips and going to have them welded on this weekend. Really need my car to actually sound like a sports car. Haha
steezymanny is offline  
post #6 of 18 Old 03-02-2017
Junior Member
 
mattmc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Alabama
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by steezymanny View Post
Thanks man. I ordered the muffler and 2 dual tips and going to have them welded on this weekend. Really need my car to actually sound like a sports car. Haha
This is exactly the way I want to go too , flowmaster 80. I was just concerned how much drone it's going to create , other than that .... Love the sound . Really only one way to find out , just get it done .
mattmc is offline  
post #7 of 18 Old 03-02-2017
Senior Member
 
superchode's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,207
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Garage

So let me help you guys here alittle. While i didnt do the actual flowmaster 80..... I did a very similar setup but with the resonator removed as well. A crossflow muffler. So a little louder than just the muffler swap (atleast at low end). Performance wise no HP gain in fact may have lost alittle up top. Down low had more getup though..... Here is that sound, there are a ton of other 80 series videos out there as well......

https://youtu.be/yJQSwc9Dthw

And outside cruizing

https://youtu.be/ZYPgwlyYLsA

Dont get me wrong i loved it, had a kond of rat rod feel to it hehehe, still in my garage.... But.....

I just redid it to a duel setup with just a center resonated xpipe (magnaflow)..... It sounds way better everywhere and for sure gains all around (no dyno yet, but it does cuz i trust my a$$)..... I did the redo for actually cheaper than the first one. You could mellow the drone and queit it down a bit either with some resonators or rear straight through mufflers....

Both setups retained secondary cats forward btw....

Heres the new dual
https://youtu.be/oMFsjRT2JlE

And outside but in car (heheheh)

https://youtu.be/QCtn-VroE_4

Just wanted to chime in before you commited. And share from experience doing two setups. I personally like the 2nd one WAY better. It hit all three for me... Price, sound and performance, but i dont mind alittle drone either lolz (use headphones if you can it dont sound the same on a phone)

anyway happy modding and share what ya get when its done
GennyFetish and mattmc like this.
superchode is offline  
post #8 of 18 Old 03-02-2017
Junior Member
 
mattmc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Alabama
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by superchode View Post
So let me help you guys here alittle. While i didnt do the actual flowmaster 80..... I did a very similar setup but with the resonator removed as well. A crossflow muffler. So a little louder than just the muffler swap (atleast at low end). Performance wise no HP gain in fact may have lost alittle up top. Down low had more getup though..... Here is that sound, there are a ton of other 80 series videos out there as well......

https://youtu.be/yJQSwc9Dthw

And outside cruizing

https://youtu.be/ZYPgwlyYLsA

Dont get me wrong i loved it, had a kond of rat rod feel to it hehehe, still in my garage.... But.....

I just redid it to a duel setup with just a center resonated xpipe (magnaflow)..... It sounds way better everywhere and for sure gains all around (no dyno yet, but it does cuz i trust my a$$)..... I did the redo for actually cheaper than the first one. You could mellow the drone and queit it down a bit either with some resonators or rear straight through mufflers....

Both setups retained secondary cats forward btw....

Heres the new dual
https://youtu.be/oMFsjRT2JlE

And outside but in car (heheheh)

https://youtu.be/QCtn-VroE_4

Just wanted to chime in before you commited. And share from experience doing two setups. I personally like the 2nd one WAY better. It hit all three for me... Price, sound and performance, but i dont mind alittle drone either lolz (use headphones if you can it dont sound the same on a phone)

anyway happy modding and share what ya get when its done
Awesome , great videos you put together. Really like that last setup ..... Now I'm really torn 🤔😂
mattmc is offline  
post #9 of 18 Old 03-02-2017
Junior Member
 
mattmc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Alabama
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Superchode , This is what I would like to try . I setup like you have now , but with this muffler 524554-Super 50 Muffler ? 2.25 Dual In / 2.25 Dual Out ? Mild Sound
In place of the Magnaflow you have , the Super 50 would be quieter than the 80 series and could run true duals .... However , I compared the actual muffler size , and the flowmaster is an inch wider , taller , and 3 inches longer overall .... I was looking at the picture in your video , and I'm thinking I could get it to work .
MrDestinE likes this.
mattmc is offline  
post #10 of 18 Old 03-02-2017
Senior Member
 
superchode's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,207
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmc View Post
Superchode , This is what I would like to try . I setup like you have now , but with this muffler 524554-Super 50 Muffler ? 2.25 Dual In / 2.25 Dual Out ? Mild Sound
In place of the Magnaflow you have , the Super 50 would be quieter than the 80 series and could run true duals .... However , I compared the actual muffler size , and the flowmaster is an inch wider , taller , and 3 inches longer overall .... I was looking at the picture in your video , and I'm thinking I could get it to work .
Might not fit in the tunnel.... Magnaflow makes longer ones too. But i think with a dual you are gonna want an xpipe or h pipe at minimum like someone above mentioned or it may sound poopy. The best thing about the xpipe mufflers is its all in one. Simple and less welding cutting. Other guys have done similar stuff with like ferrari center mufflers and xpipes. I was gonna do a used masserati GT center muffler that has the xpipe attached but just went this way cuz our cars will never sound like a ferrari no matter how much we want it to. Dont get me wrong that 456 center setup sounds pretty good, but just a totally different motor....

So you could do one like your looking at but i would say you are gonna want some type of crossover in there to even out the pulses.

Last edited by superchode; 03-02-2017 at 05:52 PM.
superchode is offline  
post #11 of 18 Old 03-02-2017
Junior Member
 
mattmc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Alabama
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by superchode View Post
Might not fit in the tunnel.... Magnaflow makes longer ones too. But i think with a dual you are gonna want an xpipe or h pipe at minimum like someone above mentioned or it may sound poopy. The best thing about the xpipe mufflers is its all in one. Simple and less welding cutting. Other guys have done similar stuff with like ferrari center mufflers and xpipes. I was gonna do a used masserati GT center muffler that has the xpipe attached but just went this way cuz our cars will never sound like a ferrari no matter how much we want it to. Dont get me wrong that 456 center setup sounds pretty good, but just a totally different motor....

So you could do one like your looking at but i would say you are gonna want some type of crossover in there to even out the pulses.

Yeah , I was concerned about it not fitting.... You may be right . Taking into consideration about the x pipe , I need to look into a longer version of what you have . Or the exact muffler you have with resonators at the ends .
mattmc is offline  
post #12 of 18 Old 03-02-2017
Senior Member
 
superchode's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,207
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchode View Post
Might not fit in the tunnel.... Magnaflow makes longer ones too. But i think with a dual you are gonna want an xpipe or h pipe at minimum like someone above mentioned or it may sound poopy. The best thing about the xpipe mufflers is its all in one. Simple and less welding cutting. Other guys have done similar stuff with like ferrari center mufflers and xpipes. I was gonna do a used masserati GT center muffler that has the xpipe attached but just went this way cuz our cars will never sound like a ferrari no matter how much we want it to. Dont get me wrong that 456 center setup sounds pretty good, but just a totally different motor....

So you could do one like your looking at but i would say you are gonna want some type of crossover in there to even out the pulses.

Yeah , I was concerned about it not fitting.... You may be right . Taking into consideration about the x pipe , I need to look into a longer version of what you have . Or the exact muffler you have with resonators at the ends .
You can find the part number of something then just you tube spam and hear what it sounds like on different stuff. Thats what i did and found this then i was sold. Its not that loud until you open it up. Its actually alot quieter than my first one on the low end. But then you open it up and its the devil hehehehe

https://youtu.be/YUHtl50IB-0

https://youtu.be/K_kMma5ZEi0
superchode is offline  
post #13 of 18 Old 03-02-2017
Senior Member
 
superchode's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,207
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Garage

Heres another pretty sweet g37 (dont like the car) but sounds pretty nice to me

https://youtu.be/RtYYXc3GunA
superchode is offline  
post #14 of 18 Old 03-03-2017
Senior Member
 
gen10-38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Arizona West Phoenix
Posts: 208
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Garage

I prefer silent and stealthy... dont want the piggies hearing me open it up.

Sounds good though!

Last edited by gen10-38; 03-03-2017 at 10:33 AM.
gen10-38 is offline  
post #15 of 18 Old 03-04-2017
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Personally, I've always been a fan of Magnaflow for foreign vehicles. I like the deeper throaty growl from em. I'm doing a Magnaflow next week. Flowmaster is a great product, don't get me wrong. It's all about what sound you like if that's all your using it for.
MuscleJen is offline  
post #16 of 18 Old 03-04-2017
Senior Member
 
superchode's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,207
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Garage

Also depends on not only the sound you are seeking, but also if you are looking for alittle performace as well. Straight through vs crossflow. I kinda went over the differences i experienced a few posts above. There is a very good youtube vid by the magnaflow engineer. Simple explainatiin about exhaust systems in particular how a crossflow type is much more restrictive and a perforated straight through is actually more free flowing that just a straight pipe. Diameter of piping is also open for debate, IMHO 2-1/4" dual is the way to go on this car, but i am sure others will disagree..... But whatever ya end up doing be sure to show it off
superchode is offline  
post #17 of 18 Old 04-14-2019
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

so I just want to know do I remove my resonator or not when I install this 80 series flowmaster on my 13 3.8 track????
Simms90coupe is offline  
post #18 of 18 Old 04-14-2019
shorttrack
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Nightmare on any Street ,Houston Texas
Posts: 1,539
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by steezymanny View Post
Hello. I just created an account. I have a 2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 track. I don't want to spend too much- Basically, I want loud but not straight piped loud.
The 2 problems most Gen Coupe owners cause the after market to not want to support us .2 damn cheap to truly invest in their cars and want their car to perform and sound like a true sports car on a poor man's budget .

Nightmare On Any Street.2014 3.8 R-spec- Best 1/4 mile 11.57 ET @ 118.7 MPH on Nitrous and supporting mods (Many).Featured in GCtuner's featured rides section under ''links''.Many changes since then, too many to list.
shorttrack is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Related Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Flowmaster 80 Series vs Magnaflow Muffler only, comparison question Patrickstern 3.8 V6 Discussion 2013 and up 4 04-16-2019 03:48 AM
Flowmaster 80 Series DirkD123 General Discussion 5 05-29-2015 11:48 AM
Flowmaster 80 series for a 2.0t caper1 General Discussion 2 04-17-2015 07:36 AM
Anyone have flowmaster mufflers? bluegene 3.8 V6 Discussion 2008-2012 54 06-10-2014 08:05 AM
flowmaster Seraph0503 3.8 V6 Discussion 2008-2012 9 03-21-2011 06:17 AM


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Genesis Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome