Hyundai Genesis Forum

Hyundai Genesis Forum (https://www.gencoupe.com/forumindex.php)
-   3.8 V6 Discussion 2013 and up (https://www.gencoupe.com/3-8-v6-discussion-2013-up/)
-   -   True cold air intake (https://www.gencoupe.com/3-8-v6-discussion-2013-up/730308-true-cold-air-intake.html)

Jose_G 07-19-2018 12:13 PM

True cold air intake
 
has anyone actually taken out the reservoir to make a custom intake would be interested in seeing some pics of some thinking of doing it and cutting out the piece under the fog light

shorttrack 07-20-2018 06:19 AM

Yep,I've done it (to include opening up the right side fog light fake screen and making it functional ) and so have others.Do a search and will find pics .

Jose_G 07-20-2018 03:20 PM

do you happen to have any pics of it and also do you feel a difference in the car or is it not worth it
Quote:

Originally Posted by shorttrack (Post 4707294)
Yep,I've done it (to include opening up the right side fog light fake screen and making it functional ) and so have others.Do a search and will find pics .


shorttrack 07-20-2018 06:57 PM

My pic's were taken down by 3rd party host .It is a mod that is well worth it, I'm in Texas so with the crazy heat here it is paramount to do anything to bring thermals in check .Yes it works, I data logged and am glad I made a true CAI system. titan2782 and andbudzi still have pic's up .

Gaijinn 07-20-2018 08:25 PM

Here is exactly what you want to do, just take away the turbo> The piping for your intake runs the same route to your TB.

Video was for IC explanation and intake routing.. In this vid the air filter element is not installed yet but you can see where it goes clearly. As long as you shield your intake piping with gold wrap etc you will have ambient intake temps at minimum.

Enjoy:
https://youtu.be/e-ULsnlqJf0

bsbullie 07-21-2018 05:04 AM

2 Attachment(s)
This is what my fog replacements look like. They are carbon fiber, made by Enthuspec and can be purchased from Genracer. Im am a boosted 3.8 but as mentioned, just need to fabricate custom aluminum tubing and be good with welding aluminum.

I added the screening to passenger side as that is where my trans cooler is located.

EDIT - it is not letting me post the pictures due to image size.

Red Raspberry 07-21-2018 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsbullie (Post 4707418)

EDIT - it is not letting me post the pictures due to image size.

https://www.irfanview.com/

Jose_G 07-21-2018 03:43 PM

well i’m down in miami and it’s hot here all the time as well but also humid you took yours to a shop to do the piping
Quote:

Originally Posted by shorttrack (Post 4707390)
My pic's were taken down by 3rd party host .It is a mod that is well worth it, I'm in Texas so with the crazy heat here it is paramount to do anything to bring thermals in check .Yes it works, I data logged and am glad I made a true CAI system. titan2782 and andbudzi still have pic's up .


Jose_G 07-21-2018 03:43 PM

thank you for the vid so much space is provided after you remove the reservoir
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaijinn (Post 4707404)
Here is exactly what you want to do, just take away the turbo> The piping for your intake runs the same route to your TB.

Video was for IC explanation and intake routing.. In this vid the air filter element is not installed yet but you can see where it goes clearly. As long as you shield your intake piping with gold wrap etc you will have ambient intake temps at minimum.

Enjoy:
https://youtu.be/e-ULsnlqJf0


Jose_G 07-21-2018 03:45 PM

what screening did you use i’ve been looking for a good one but never find any i’ve literally been to every hardware store near me and can’t find anything good
Quote:

Originally Posted by bsbullie (Post 4707418)
This is what my fog replacements look like. They are carbon fiber, made by Enthuspec and can be purchased from Genracer. Im am a boosted 3.8 but as mentioned, just need to fabricate custom aluminum tubing and be good with welding aluminum.

I added the screening to passenger side as that is where my trans cooler is located.

EDIT - it is not letting me post the pictures due to image size.


shorttrack 07-21-2018 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jose_G (Post 4707456)
well iím down in miami and itís hot here all the time as well but also humid you took yours to a shop to do the piping

No, I do all of my on work.Been doing this $hit for over 30 plus years .If you seen my car ,I do my fabbing and work to the point that it would appears as if a pro race shop did it .

bsbullie 07-21-2018 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jose_G (Post 4707460)
what screening did you use i’ve been looking for a good one but never find any i’ve literally been to every hardware store near me and can’t find anything good
Quote:

Originally Posted by bsbullie (Post 4707418)
This is what my fog replacements look like. They are carbon fiber, made by Enthuspec and can be purchased from Genracer. Im am a boosted 3.8 but as mentioned, just need to fabricate custom aluminum tubing and be good with welding aluminum.

I added the screening to passenger side as that is where my trans cooler is located.

EDIT - it is not letting me post the pictures due to image size.


I am in Palm Beach County. PM me your number and I will text you pictures.

bsbullie 07-21-2018 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shorttrack (Post 4707462)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jose_G (Post 4707456)
well i’m down in miami and it’s hot here all the time as well but also humid you took yours to a shop to do the piping

No, I do all of my on work.Been doing this $hit for over 30 plus years .If you seen my car ,I do my fabbing and work to the point that it would appears as if a pro race shop did it .

I have seen his work and can attest he knows his $hit and what he is doing.

shorttrack 07-22-2018 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsbullie (Post 4707464)
I am in Palm Beach County. PM me your number and I will text you pictures.

You can show him my pics as well .I can Take more pics if needed and you can put them up on the forum if you like .

andbudzi 07-22-2018 06:28 AM

My car has foglights - 8" diameter intake filter fits snug, fully fills up space between foglight and fender liner. Filter is large because it fits over velocity stack.

Fresh air come from front grill opening, so filter does not get soaked with water (if I were to open up fog light area). https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...8a7d4f9156.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...693e424e0e.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...a00c3d71fe.jpg

andbudzi 07-22-2018 06:34 AM

Air path to intake.
OEM grill does not have opening this far to the side as afternarket ... if my memory serves me right. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...fcac12a992.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

shorttrack 07-22-2018 03:59 PM

I cut the fake mesh out of the fog light assy and with the fog light assy bezel screws I screwed some gutter screening in place (from Home Depot) to make the CAI truly function at speeds.My CAI is similar to andbudzi but I'm using 4 inch O.D. aluminum piping from Spectre .also used 1... 40 degree rubber elbow ,1... 40 degree aluminum elbow and made a pivot bracket mounted to the fender well for support .Also I am using a 4 to 6 inch bell velocity stack to which my over sized K&N filter is attached to.My Data log showed on a hot 101 degree day moving at 45 mph air intake temps of 88 degrees .CAI with water being sprayed during spirited runs (2,500 through 6,650 rpm's) from my AEM water/ methanol system drops inlet manifold temps such that after a hard run I can open the hood and touch the upper intake manifold which is cool to the touch .I have 2 tanks for my water/meth system ,1 gallon for w/m during nitrous runs and 3 gallons for distilled water during NA runs .

AKGC 07-27-2018 10:14 AM

I advise not running the CAI pictured in the rain.... hydrolocking the engine is a very bad thing :p

Red Raspberry 07-27-2018 10:17 AM

You can get a sock for it. I left the gill slits alone on that side. Plenty of ambient air behind the bumper there as is. I did put in a plastic panel between the filter and the frame rail to block off the engine area.

shorttrack 07-27-2018 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AKGC (Post 4708208)
I advise not running the CAI pictured in the rain.... hydrolocking the engine is a very bad thing :p

Even though my GC is not my daily driver ,I keep a small screw driver in the glove box so I can disconnect the inlet tube from the throttle body if I do by chance get caught in the rain .But yeah, you must be aware of road and pending weather conditions .


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:40 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome