Hyundai Genesis Forum - View Single Post - Big brake kits???
View Single Post
post #5 of Old 04-25-2019
Odelagt
In Charge of Snacks

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by donluv3333 View Post
I have a 2013 3.8 Grand touring w/o brembo brakes. I was thing about getting a big brake kit. Which should I get? Then next year I was hoping to get a turbo kit so I want to make sure the car stops. Not sure if I want the brembo brake kit because of needing to step up to 19" rims for the larger caliper brakes. Also not sure if to pay that much for a kit when to others are $1000 less. Any help will be nice.
What do you want them for?

The stock genesis brembo brakes are ok, but they're really nothing special. As a style piece I recommend them. And they are substantially better than the base brakes. I've seen them second hand for as little as $700.

The R1 Concepts Forged BBK looks good, but there's no performance driving data. They are a reputable company based near where I live and they have excellent customer service aaand everything I've purchased from them has been as advertised and of decent to excellent quality.

That's all to say that I'm certain they'll work as road car brakes. I'm certain that, design considerations aside, they'll be well built units. I'm certain you'll get good service from R1 if you have a problem. However, once you spec them out on their website, you'll find they cost nearly as much as a stoptech trophy kit, which is a high performance specification and as a company, they have a considerable amount of experience and feedback/reviews from actual racers.

Brembo probably has the best components you can buy, but they're astonishingly expensive, and they don't sell a matching rear axle upgrade kit.

So, if you want max performance and you're ok with blah styling, go with stoptech.

If you just want flashy brakes that work and make your car look very spiffy(honestly R1's stuff has great combo potential), go with R1. It's possible they're even great performance if you spec them right. But really, nobody knows.

I remember I called R1 for a quote once on a 6 piston front and 4 piston rear setup with anodized everything and floating rotors and specified stainless pistons over their standard aluminum(which would be a mistake to use) and the price was a little over $5k. If you shop around for a stoptech trophy kit you can get it well under $6k. Food for thought, anyway.

'11 3.8 R-spec
Now trying to build the impossible

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome