Need help with ground on battery - Hyundai Genesis Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 2 Days Ago Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Need help with ground on battery

Hey, would anybody know what part I would need to replace if no current is flowing thru my car right now. I have to jump start it every time I move it and when I jump start I have to connect ground somewhere other then the one on the battery. I was told to replace a battery sensor but I need more clarity if anyone knows. I have a 2010. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 2 Days Ago

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by micksterr205 View Post
Hey, would anybody know what part I would need to replace if no current is flowing thru my car right now. I have to jump start it every time I move it and when I jump start I have to connect ground somewhere other then the one on the battery. I was told to replace a battery sensor but I need more clarity if anyone knows. I have a 2010. Thanks
The battery doesn't have a sensor.

if you take out the battery, the ground cable is suppose to be bolted to the body frame to the right of it.
post #3 of 9 Old 1 Day Ago
Dropping Knowledge

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Garage

Normally you jumpstart with a chassis or engine ground anyway, that's the correct way. Pull the battery out and verify the ground strap is connected to the chassis properly.

Was the battery tested and verified to be good with the proper CCA?
Is there voltage getting to your fusebox from the battery?

2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe
R-Spec | 2.0L Turbo | Tsukuba Red | 6 Speed Manual

Mods
A shitload

post #4 of 9 Old 1 Day Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenCoupeBoricua View Post
Normally you jumpstart with a chassis or engine ground anyway, that's the correct way. Pull the battery out and verify the ground strap is connected to the chassis properly.
Incorrect. You ALWAYS jump it by the battery terminals. Some car have reverse polarity, where the body is the positive.

On the genesis, the negative terminal wire bolts directly
post #5 of 9 Old 1 Day Ago
Dropping Knowledge

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKGC View Post
Incorrect. You ALWAYS jump it by the battery terminals. Some car have reverse polarity, where the body is the positive.

I was incorrect on one detail. If you connect positive to positive then there is no problem. The car doing the jumping usually is connected to bare metal ground. It has been this way for ages.

Let us not knit-pick on how we jump cars. Prefer to try and help the issue of the car.

2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe
R-Spec | 2.0L Turbo | Tsukuba Red | 6 Speed Manual

Mods
A shitload
post #6 of 9 Old 22 Hours Ago

Quoted: 201 Post(s)

Wow, so much yapping..... Hun just buy a Duralast Gold for your year make and model. Your battery is bad. Better yet have someone jump your car, drive to the Autyo zone, buy the battery. They will put it in for you for free,....if she still wont start, they will run a scan and other things that will guide you.

Some times it pays to be a chick,...................LOL.

Here we go again !
post #7 of 9 Old 21 Hours Ago Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenCoupeBoricua View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKGC View Post

I was incorrect on one detail. If you connect positive to positive then there is no problem. The car doing the jumping usually is connected to bare metal ground. It has been this way for ages.

Let us not knit-pick on how we jump cars. Prefer to try and help the issue of the car.
Hey guys! Thanks for the advice. It's definitely not the battery itself bc I have switched it out already and I replaced an ignition sensor as well. My emergency lights won't even turn on nor any lights on my dash. I will try to see if the ground terminal is properly attached. I literally jump my car by connecting positive to the +end if the battery and ground to the oxygen sensor.
post #8 of 9 Old 11 Hours Ago
I'd rather do it myself

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage

Grounding to the body and not the engine block will cause issues over time. I run an additional ground cable from the factory ground point on the fender to the engine block.

2010 Red 2.0L track

Quote:
If the Pharaohs had duct tape, the Sphinx would still have a nose...."
post #9 of 9 Old 7 Hours Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by micksterr205 View Post
Hey guys! Thanks for the advice. It's definitely not the battery itself bc I have switched it out already and I replaced an ignition sensor as well. My emergency lights won't even turn on nor any lights on my dash. I will try to see if the ground terminal is properly attached. I literally jump my car by connecting positive to the +end if the battery and ground to the oxygen sensor.
Oops, didn't realize I didn't complete the sentence.

"On the genesis, the negative terminal wire bolts directly to the body"

I had to unbolt the cable from the body and clean the part that it attaches to, some years back.

I used a wire brush, but I recommend using this... you can get it at lowes, walmart ect.
You only need a tiny amount on a q-tip works in minutes, unless it heavily rusted already, then just wipe away.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Genesis Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page