Whats going on folks! This will be be my Re-build / Build thread for my GC..... Your probably thinking... " Re-build ? what the hell is he talking about " well let me explain.
So, I purchased my first GC in 2012 - 3.8 Track Acqua Minerale BLue 6 spd - Loved the car ever since I layed eyes on it and couldn't wait to start modding/tweeking/perfecting it... My plan was to eventually get into the F/I side of the house, but that wouldn't be until later on down the road.... Flash forward 1 year later. I moved out to Las Vegas for my job (USAF) and I came across a Red 2012 Rspec / Supercharged that was for sale out in San Diego.... got to talking with the Stealership and got a great deal on the car that i couldn't pass up, especially after around $10K had been dumped into the car... So I drove out to San Diego and traded in my GC for the Red GC... Well I was super stoked to own a S/C GC - pretty much my dream of what I had planned for the future for my car. Well we've all bought used cars before right ? The next day the car over heated, so i began trouble shooting and found that my radiator hose had been sitting on the header and it burnt a hole thru it - so I replaced that. Thought that was the issue, nope she still remained to overheat, so I bought a new thermostat thinking maybe that the oem had taken a dump, but w/ only 12k miles I had high doubt that was the issue, but i still replaced it w/ a mishimoto racing thermostat - car still overheated. I was driving to work one morning and my temp gauge redlined within 5 mins of driving, and when I made it to work I opened the hood and I could hear a drip followed by a "hisssss" - it was coolant leaving the block and dripping on the header..... So this is where the RE-BUILD / BUILD part comes into play....
Before I pulled the motor, I removed the exhaust and stock suspension and installed my Ark Grip V2 & HSD Coilovers
This exhaust was SOOOOOOO loud, and it had poor welds, so it was time to go! I ended up giving it to my boy Travis - GenCoupe13 - here on the forum, he had it fixed and re-welded and he threw it on his 13' GC - It sounds amazing now !
Replaced with this beautiful work of art
I had these on my other GC and removed them before I traded it in.
Coils & Exhaust being installed.
Now onto the rebuild:
Car was purchased - June 1, 2013 / June 23, 2013 - I pulled the motor out.
After I tore the motor out & down, I came to find that I had Detonation in cyl 4 which caused my head gasket to literally explode and and also damage the top of the cylinder sleeve and Warp my head.... So my awesome purchase of a car was not so awesome after all....
So as of right now the Motor has been at a machine shop having the following done :
- Block Re-surfaced & Honed
- Heads Decked / Straight Edged / Re-Surfaced
- Crank Polished / Re-Balanced
- All Parts Hot Tanked / Degreased / Cleaned
- New Main Bearings
- New Rod Bearings
- New JE Piston Rings
- New Main Bearing Cap Bolts:
- 21117-3C100 P/N - Cap Bolt (8 bolts)
- 21116-3C100 P/N - Cap Bolt (8 bolts)
- 21126-3C100 P/N - Side Bolt (8 bolts)
- New Front Main Seal
- New Rear Main Seal
- New Valve Cover Gaskets
- New Intake Manifold Gasket(s)
- New Plenum Gasket
- Arp Head Stud Kit (16 Bolts)
The motor already had:
- JE Pistons - Size: STD / Bore: 96.0
- Brian Crower Sportsman Connecting Rods w/ ARP 2000 Bolts
So my plan for this Build Thread is to:
1. Keep you all up to date on the process.
2. Upload as many photo's / videos as possible.
3. Post new Mod's / tweek's to the car and motor.
Let the photos Commence!!!!!!!! Most of these pics were taken with my iphone so excuse my crappy resolution... I will try to get a nice camera to take future pics!
Motor... yet again lol
Up on Jack Stands / Coolant drained
New Toys - Gotta Love Harbor Freight, all that for $185 !
My boy Mike aka Imdubbs here on the forum - Disconnecting the Exhaust
Everything disconnected from the motor
Cherry Picker all hooked up and ready to pull the motor out :P
Another view of the Cherry Picker
And away!!! :P
Motor out - Crappy pic sorry :\
Motor Out - Better Pic :P
Back of motor - Spec Clutch stage 3 clutch / Ark Headers
Motor / Supercharger Bracket
Valve covers removed - Didn't have bolts to mount the motor on the engine stand lol so 2 - 2x4's will suffice for the time being :P
Heads & Cams
Heads & Cams
Front Cover removed / Wiring Harness Marked & Taped
Front of Cams
Front of Cams
Started to remove the lower intake manifold and snapped my 6mm Hex Bit, I swear the bolts were torqued to 200 ft lbs friggin ridiculous!!!!!!
Hex Bit decapitated
Which called for a Beer Break! :P
Quick shot of the garage and how everything was sitting - slightly organized :P
The infamous blown headgasket!
yep, blown to SH*T !
Head Removed - gasket literally sprung up when I pulled the head off, and you can see the pistons crown of Cyl 4's is nice and shinny from the coolant being sucked in there, thank god she didnt hydro-lock!
heres a better view... steam cleaning at its finest!
Bottom side of the head.... Exhaust valves were soaked as you can see!
Again, exhaust port soaking wet.....
Better Close up.... ridiculous.
Heads off / Top Dead Center
Stupid finger lol
Cleaned the Heads up a lil :P
Thought this was a cool pic :P
Now onto the good stuff.... Cyl 4 side wall damage from the detonation!
Better angle / up close pic
Headgasket again.... Aye aye aye!
Pretty sweet pic!
FINALLY!!! got bolts for the block to put on the engine stand lol Thank you Home Depot :P
Organization at its finest!
And thats all for now folks! Stay tuned for more progress and updates!