No Throttle Response in First Gear HELP - Page 2 - Hyundai Genesis Forum
 4Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 64 Old 08-30-2018
Senior Member
 
AKGC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 14,771
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 743 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Persons View Post
I don't think the issue is the spark plugs as the issue would have occurred much sooner and my idle would be rough.
You are forgetting that boost factors into ignition.

The idle would be fine. I have had my densos gapped to 0.04 just to see what would happen. Ran fine staying under 3500 rpm, but over, it would lose torque and was a struggle for it to accelerate.
AKGC is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 64 Old 08-30-2018 Thread Starter
Member
 
Michael Persons's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKGC View Post
You are forgetting that boost factors into ignition.

The idle would be fine. I have had my densos gapped to 0.04 just to see what would happen. Ran fine staying under 3500 rpm, but over, it would lose torque and was a struggle for it to accelerate.
I will check the plugs but again, the issue started one day and does not occur all the time. And to my knowledge incorrectly gaped plugs would make the drive quality garbage not completely get rid of throttle response.

Wish my car worked
Michael Persons is offline  
post #23 of 64 Old 08-30-2018
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 486
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Persons View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbullie View Post
Did it do this before you had the top end apart for the timing chain?

WC East or Henderson?
No the issue started a month after the timing chain check so I find it unlikely that that was the issue I just didn't want to completely rule it out.

And I Graduated from WC Rustin this year
I am thinking it may have been related to the top end work. Just too much of a coincidence.

I didnt even know there was a third public HS. I am a WC East grad.. class of '85.
bsbullie is offline  
 
post #24 of 64 Old 08-30-2018 Thread Starter
Member
 
Michael Persons's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbullie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Persons View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbullie View Post
Did it do this before you had the top end apart for the timing chain?

WC East or Henderson?
No the issue started a month after the timing chain check so I find it unlikely that that was the issue I just didn't want to completely rule it out.

And I Graduated from WC Rustin this year
I am thinking it may have been related to the top end work. Just too much of a coincidence.

I didnt even know there was a third public HS. I am a WC East grad.. class of '85.
Top end work could be a factor, but I had it done about a month before the issue started happening.

And Rustin was built in 2008 so its relatively new.

Wish my car worked
Michael Persons is offline  
post #25 of 64 Old 08-31-2018
Senior Member
 
Gaijinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Indianapolis In
Posts: 768
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)

Oh also, when you do all the IM work, while your there you might as well replace the plugs if they are anywhere near 15K,(your in the neighborhood anyway) and make sure to replace the PCV valve.(use oem). Again vac related issues cause all kinds of gremlins.

Here we go again !
Gaijinn is offline  
post #26 of 64 Old 02-23-2019
Junior Member
 
Iwirelive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Omg I am having the same problem. And I know this seams crazy but I also Changed my tail lights to led. Did you figure out your problem. Im just starting to diagnose

Last edited by Iwirelive; 02-25-2019 at 05:19 PM.
Iwirelive is offline  
post #27 of 64 Old 02-23-2019 Thread Starter
Member
 
Michael Persons's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwirelive View Post
Omg I am having the same problem. And I know this seams crazy but I also Changed my tail lights to led. Did you figure out your problem. I‚€™️m just starting to diagnose
I recently changed the throttle body and PCV valve. The throttle body helped the issue but didn't completely fix it. I still get the occasional no response when going into first but its not nearly as bad as it was. I'm now thinking it may be the ecu or some wiring somewhere that is fried, especially since you also replaced your tailights.

Wish my car worked
Michael Persons is offline  
post #28 of 64 Old 02-24-2019
Junior Member
 
Iwirelive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I have also taken apart the tb and cleaned it and it seemed to stop the problem. But then it came back. I just recently bought the car for my son and he is on a permit so it doesn’t get driven every day. The car is also on coil overs. Has a pro exhaust system. And has had the tune changed. I’m just mentioning this in case we have done any similar mods. Also the tpms light is on because we have changed rims and tires for the winter. And has a cold air intake. I think that’s everything.
Iwirelive is offline  
post #29 of 64 Old 02-24-2019
Junior Member
 
Iwirelive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

In the back of my mind I was thinking about the yaw sensor but I’m not sure if it shuts off throttle when triggered. Going to stop at the dealer and see if they can give any input.
Iwirelive is offline  
post #30 of 64 Old 02-25-2019
Senior Member
 
AKGC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 14,771
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 743 Post(s)

The tpms shouldn't cause an issue.

I've recently fixed an on going issue I had that didn't have the same symptoms, but can see the cause of my issue, causing a similar issue to yours.

My 2.0T has had an issue with the MAP sensors and throttlebody correlation error for the last 3~4 years.
I inspected the wiring going up to these, and found cracks in the insulation to the MAP sensors wiring. I used a hobby knife to remove the insulation and cleaned the copper with flux and tinned them with solder, then reinsulated it with a tiny bit of liquid electrical tape stuff.
AKGC is offline  
post #31 of 64 Old 02-25-2019
Junior Member
 
Iwirelive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

As soon as it warms up I was going to go thru all the electrical sensor wires, cut the tape off inspect and re tape I feel it has to be something stupid. I Feel like it might be a bad connection because it happens coming off a dead stop. But what drives me crazy is it never happens after first gear. I can slam second twist the car sideways and nothing. no problems. but I go to leave from a traffic light no matter how easy I come off and you step on the gas and its nothing but idle.
Iwirelive is offline  
post #32 of 64 Old 03-10-2019
Junior Member
 
Iwirelive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

ok so took the car out last night was good for a while then bam left a light and it happened 3 times. then the next light same thing. took the car home. unplugged the ecu tightened the battery cables. unplugged every senor I could reach in front of me and plugged in and out 3 or 4 times and plugged back in. then drove. I beat the **** out of the car and nothing happened. drove for an hour ad than bam again. and again and again. if I just drop the clutch normally it happens. if I ride the clutch it does not happen. almost seems like the jolting of the car is causing the issue. definitely warming up plays a affect. or maybe the car only does it when ecu goes into closed loop and starts to read sensors. But definitely making me crazy.
Iwirelive is offline  
post #33 of 64 Old 03-10-2019 Thread Starter
Member
 
Michael Persons's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwirelive View Post
ok so took the car out last night was good for a while then bam left a light and it happened 3 times. then the next light same thing. took the car home. unplugged the ecu tightened the battery cables. unplugged every senor I could reach in front of me and plugged in and out 3 or 4 times and plugged back in. then drove. I beat the **** out of the car and nothing happened.
drove for an hour ad than bam again. and again and again. if I just drop the clutch normally it happens. if I ride the clutch it does not happen. almost seems like the jolting of the car is causing the issue. definitely warming up plays a affect. or maybe the car only does it when ecu goes into closed loop and starts to read sensors. But definitely making me crazy.
I recently came home for spring break and drove the car for the entire week. Issue happened a couple times after I drove the car for an extended period of time. I'm worried because I'm not home to actively diagnose the issue and I need to bring the car over to college in april to get my stuff back home but im not sure it will make it. I'm thinking this is a manual only issue so im wondering what components could be causing the issue that are not in an automatic. Have you gone to the dealer at all to try and get the issue fixed?

Wish my car worked
Michael Persons is offline  
post #34 of 64 Old 03-11-2019
I'd rather do it myself
 
Red Raspberry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Flat lands of Illinois
Posts: 18,231
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage

You need to do some data monitoring. Torque with the EX Advantage for Hyundai can see what you need and log it.

When it is not responding what does the Absolute Throttle Position say, same for the two gas pedal sensors. On the pedal they are not 1:1 inverted values. And look to see what the commanded AFR (lambda) is when it not responding. Absolute Load is another. It will tell you if the MAP is showing a good value.

I use to get the limp mode when accelerating from low engine speeds while the car was at highway speed. It would limit the rpms to 1300. All you had to do to clear it was cycle the ignition. It would give some Throttle Memory error. This has not happened though in the last 6 years.

2010 Red 2.0L track

Quote:
If the Pharaohs had duct tape, the Sphinx would still have a nose...."
Red Raspberry is offline  
post #35 of 64 Old 03-11-2019 Thread Starter
Member
 
Michael Persons's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Raspberry View Post
You need to do some data monitoring. Torque with the EX Advantage for Hyundai can see what you need and log it.

When it is not responding what does the Absolute Throttle Position say, same for the two gas pedal sensors. On the pedal they are not 1:1 inverted values. And look to see what the commanded AFR (lambda) is when it not responding. Absolute Load is another. It will tell you if the MAP is showing a good value.

I use to get the limp mode when accelerating from low engine speeds while the car was at highway speed. It would limit the rpms to 1300. All you had to do to clear it was cycle the ignition. It would give some Throttle Memory error. This has not happened though in the last 6 years.
Thanks for the info, I'll definitely get on that when I get back home. I honestly wish my car was just going into limp mode then it would be easier to diagnose the issue.

Wish my car worked
Michael Persons is offline  
post #36 of 64 Old 03-15-2019
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I think they both actually have two values to watch. And absolute Throttle Position is another.
van6119 is offline  
post #37 of 64 Old 04-16-2019
Junior Member
 
hobbsie141's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Having the exact same problem, annoying the **** out of me. I have also installed the Spec D sequential taillights.
hobbsie141 is offline  
post #38 of 64 Old 04-19-2019
Junior Member
 
hobbsie141's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Persons View Post
Thanks for the info, I'll definitely get on that when I get back home. I honestly wish my car was just going into limp mode then it would be easier to diagnose the issue.
I FOUND THE PROBLEM!!!!!!!
Same thing was happening with my 2010 Genesis Coupe 3.8L GT Manual. I also have the Spec D sequential tailights and it turns out this is not a coincidence.

When it would start cutting throttle, i would force it to keep getting worse by doing it over and over again, and i then unplugged the tailights and it was perfectly fine! So, there is something messed up inside the wiring of the tailights, and i will be getting mine checked out this week by a automotive accessory company in my city. will let you know how it goes, hopefully not too much has to be done.
Michael Persons likes this.
hobbsie141 is offline  
post #39 of 64 Old 04-25-2019 Thread Starter
Member
 
Michael Persons's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbsie141 View Post
I FOUND THE PROBLEM!!!!!!!
Same thing was happening with my 2010 Genesis Coupe 3.8L GT Manual. I also have the Spec D sequential tailights and it turns out this is not a coincidence.

When it would start cutting throttle, i would force it to keep getting worse by doing it over and over again, and i then unplugged the tailights and it was perfectly fine! So, there is something messed up inside the wiring of the tailights, and i will be getting mine checked out this week by a automotive accessory company in my city. will let you know how it goes, hopefully not too much has to be done.
Awesome!!!, That would make sense. I'm wondering if the lights are taking power from the drive by wire system; thus, causing a power cut from to the throttle response. Or possibly if the battery cannot support the power required for both the throttle body and lights. As said beofre, I replaced my throttle body a little while back which greatly helped the issue, causing it to occur much less frequently. I'm also wondering if the lights may slowly damage the throttle body over time. Still many questions to be answered. Please let me know what you find out!

Wish my car worked

Last edited by Michael Persons; 04-25-2019 at 10:23 AM.
Michael Persons is offline  
post #40 of 64 Old 04-25-2019
Junior Member
 
hobbsie141's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Persons View Post

Awesome!!!, That would make sense. I'm wondering if the lights are taking power from the drive by wire system; thus, causing a power cut from to the throttle response. Or possibly if the battery cannot support the power required for both the throttle body and lights. As said beofre, I replaced my throttle body a little while back which greatly helped the issue, causing it to occur much less frequently. I'm also wondering if the lights may slowly damage the throttle body over time. Still many questions to be answered. Please let me know what you find out!
My current fix is to just use factory tailights. I am currently talking with Spec D and GenRacer(the distributor that I bought the tailights from) and they think it's the tailights themselves, but I think it's something else.

Back in 2013, genesis coupes had a recall for a brake switch that would malfunction and not send enough power when braking to the brake lights. I think that the tailights might be programmed on the old brake switch that got recalled and is now messing with the new one. For me, it only happens at night when the lights are on all the time, so maybe the car thinks that you have the brakes on and doesnt want you to start moving with them on, so it cuts throttle response for a few seconds. One thing I also figured out is that if you leave it in gear for a couple of seconds while you dont have throttle response, it just let's you start driving. So if it happens again, leave it in gear (I know its sketchy af) then it should just kick back in.
hobbsie141 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Related Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
hm throttle position sensor? throttle cable? throttle body stuck? hajimah 2.0T Discussion 2008-2012 9 02-22-2015 04:16 PM
Throttle Response Delay jaybone909 3.8 V6 Discussion 2008-2012 35 09-13-2012 04:06 PM
Improving partial throttle power response sanengo 2.0T Discussion 2008-2012 4 04-22-2011 02:45 PM
1st gear difficult to engage smoothly/throttle response sluggish docprego 2.0T Discussion 2008-2012 3 08-19-2009 08:15 PM
Update on the throttle response & rev hang! [email protected] 2.0T Discussion 2008-2012 41 07-02-2009 09:32 AM


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Genesis Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome