No Throttle Response in First Gear HELP - Page 3 - Hyundai Genesis Forum
 4Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 54 Old 04-25-2019 Thread Starter
Member
 
Michael Persons's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbsie141 View Post
My current fix is to just use factory tailights. I am currently talking with Spec D and GenRacer(the distributor that I bought the tailights from) and they think it's the tailights themselves, but I think it's something else.

Back in 2013, genesis coupes had a recall for a brake switch that would malfunction and not send enough power when braking to the brake lights. I think that the tailights might be programmed on the old brake switch that got recalled and is now messing with the new one. For me, it only happens at night when the lights are on all the time, so maybe the car thinks that you have the brakes on and doesnt want you to start moving with them on, so it cuts throttle response for a few seconds. One thing I also figured out is that if you leave it in gear for a couple of seconds while you dont have throttle response, it just let's you start driving. So if it happens again, leave it in gear (I know its sketchy af) then it should just kick back in.
It's funny you say that. I also thought the brake pedal had something to do with it. I've found that when i pull the ebrake at redlights instead of using my brake pedal, it pulls away fine. Also if I can get the car inching forward with just the clutch and jab the throttle a bit to keep the revs up (as opposed to keeping my foot on the gas at a constant rpm) the car will pull away fine. If need be, feel free to let Spec-D and GenRacer know about this forum as well as the fact that you are not the only one with this issue. Keep the updates coming, I'm sure that many others are having this issue, it's best if we get it solved now.

Wish my car worked
Michael Persons is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #42 of 54 Old 04-25-2019
Junior Member
 
hobbsie141's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Persons View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbsie141 View Post
My current fix is to just use factory tailights. I am currently talking with Spec D and GenRacer(the distributor that I bought the tailights from) and they think it's the tailights themselves, but I think it's something else.

Back in 2013, genesis coupes had a recall for a brake switch that would malfunction and not send enough power when braking to the brake lights. I think that the tailights might be programmed on the old brake switch that got recalled and is now messing with the new one. For me, it only happens at night when the lights are on all the time, so maybe the car thinks that you have the brakes on and doesnt want you to start moving with them on, so it cuts throttle response for a few seconds. One thing I also figured out is that if you leave it in gear for a couple of seconds while you dont have throttle response, it just let's you start driving. So if it happens again, leave it in gear (I know its sketchy af) then it should just kick back in.
It's funny you say that. I also thought the brake pedal had something to do with it. I've found that when i pull the ebrake at redlights instead of using my brake pedal, it pulls away fine. Also if I can get the car inching forward with just the clutch and jab the throttle a bit to keep the revs up (as opposed to keeping my foot on the gas at a constant rpm) the car will pull away fine. If need be, feel free to let Spec-D and GenRacer know about this forum as well as the fact that you are not the only one with this issue. Keep the updates coming, I'm sure that many others are having this issue, it's best if we get it solved now.
They accepted my warranty so I will be getting a new set and will see if this works. GenRacer has been great with getting me new lights, although I'm not 100% sure that this will solve it. They said all of the wiring of my old ones look fine, so im not sure if it is a problem with the lights. We will see in a week or so when they get them to me.
hobbsie141 is offline  
post #43 of 54 Old 04-26-2019 Thread Starter
Member
 
Michael Persons's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbsie141 View Post
They accepted my warranty so I will be getting a new set and will see if this works. GenRacer has been great with getting me new lights, although I'm not 100% sure that this will solve it. They said all of the wiring of my old ones look fine, so im not sure if it is a problem with the lights. We will see in a week or so when they get them to me.
If it doesn't solve the problem get a new throttle body and ecu, I'm almost 100% sure that will fix it. After getting my new throttle body (rather a used one off a copart car with 56k) the issue rarely occurs, if ever.

Wish my car worked
Michael Persons is offline  
 
post #44 of 54 Old 05-14-2019
Junior Member
 
Iwirelive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I wrote a post but it did not post. went to the dealer they changed the brake switch. they said the tail lights are showing up on the scanner saying that the brake pedal is being pushed. They told me to drive the car with the headlight switch on off not auto and it worked no problems turn on the head lights and there is the problem again. I want to try to add a diode in between the ecu and the driver for the led and see if that helps. the problem is I cant see the code with the obd2 scanner only the dealer can (I Think). Dealer said in the automatic version of the car if you press the brake and the gas at the same time you would have the same result. it is a safety feature. I called spec d but they are useless they said they would give me my money back. but I want to fix the problem. if anyone else has any ideas hit me up.
Frank Tedeschi
[email protected]
516-978-4642
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image-1.jpeg.jpg (233.5 KB, 6 views)
Iwirelive is offline  
post #45 of 54 Old 05-14-2019
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 361
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)

Welcome to Spec D taillight ownership, or so it seems.
Michael Persons likes this.

2013 3.8 R-Spec - Great White
Magnaflow X-pipe CBE
Custom Vibrant resonators
15mm/20mm spacers
BC Racing coils
TROS Potent Booster
L8Braker is online now  
post #46 of 54 Old 05-14-2019 Thread Starter
Member
 
Michael Persons's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwirelive View Post
I wrote a post but it did not post. went to the dealer they changed the brake switch. they said the tail lights are showing up on the scanner saying that the brake pedal is being pushed. They told me to drive the car with the headlight switch on off not auto and it worked no problems turn on the head lights and there is the problem again. I want to try to add a diode in between the ecu and the driver for the led and see if that helps. the problem is I cant see the code with the obd2 scanner only the dealer can (I Think). Dealer said in the automatic version of the car if you press the brake and the gas at the same time you would have the same result. it is a safety feature. I called spec d but they are useless they said they would give me my money back. but I want to fix the problem. if anyone else has any ideas hit me up.
Frank Tedeschi
[email protected]
516-978-4642
Hm, that's interesting. I do love the taillights but they aren't worth the stress of being unable to go at an intersection. I'm thinking I'm just going to contact spec d and get my money back, and just get a pair of BK 2 taillights. If you do happen to solve the taillight issue, keep us all informed. Thanks for all the info up to this point.

Wish my car worked
Michael Persons is offline  
post #47 of 54 Old 05-14-2019
Junior Member
 
Iwirelive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

well im just going to add it to my to do list along with this my 87 3.8 sc fiero needs a engine rebuild
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image3.jpeg.jpg (158.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg image2.jpeg.jpg (147.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg image1.jpeg.jpg (103.2 KB, 6 views)
Iwirelive is offline  
post #48 of 54 Old 05-14-2019 Thread Starter
Member
 
Michael Persons's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwirelive View Post
well im just going to add it to my to do list along with this my 87 3.8 sc fiero needs a engine rebuild
Looks like you have your work cut out for you, my gen recently got in a fight with some rocks and a sighn so if anyone has a bk1 front bumper, passenger side fender, or hood, and passenger side suspension peices let me know. 👌🏾

Wish my car worked
Michael Persons is offline  
post #49 of 54 Old 05-24-2019
Junior Member
 
hobbsie141's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Persons View Post

Looks like you have your work cut out for you, my gen recently got in a fight with some rocks and a sighn so if anyone has a bk1 front bumper, passenger side fender, or hood, and passenger side suspension peices let me know. 👌🏾
Just recently got the new set and it didnt help the problem at all. I may do the same and get a refund and take business elsewhere. I found a local company that I'm going to try and see if they can diagnose and hopefully fix the problem.
hobbsie141 is offline  
post #50 of 54 Old 05-27-2019
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Hey guys i just recently bought some spec d tail lights as well for my 2010 genesis 3.8.

Same issue as everyone else, once the lights are on i get no response while the car is in gear but if i switch the lights off completely while it's not responding the car instantly takes off again. Has anyone been able to find a solution?
Imtiaz is offline  
post #51 of 54 Old 05-27-2019
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Hey guys i just recently bought some spec d tail lights as well for my 2010 genesis 3.8.

Same issue as everyone else, once the lights are on i get no response while the car is in gear but if i switch the lights off completely while it's not responding it instantly takes off again. Has anyone been able to find a solution?

Cool hobbsie please let us know if you found a solution I'd really like to make the lights works rather than returning them lol
Imtiaz is offline  
post #52 of 54 Old 06-03-2019
Junior Member
 
hobbsie141's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imtiaz View Post
Hey guys i just recently bought some spec d tail lights as well for my 2010 genesis 3.8.

Same issue as everyone else, once the lights are on i get no response while the car is in gear but if i switch the lights off completely while it's not responding it instantly takes off again. Has anyone been able to find a solution?

Cool hobbsie please let us know if you found a solution I'd really like to make the lights works rather than returning them lol

I have worked the issue down again, it's the resistors. They arent pulling enough volts when the brake is released to get under the 12 that the brake lights operate at, so it is tripping the safety feature that thinks the brakes are being pressed on when they really arent. This is just what I believe to be happening, and dont have enough knowledge in wiring to fix it myself, so I let Spec D know about a week ago, so I'm waiting for a response.
Red Raspberry likes this.
hobbsie141 is offline  
post #53 of 54 Old 06-10-2019
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbsie141 View Post
I have worked the issue down again, it's the resistors. They arent pulling enough volts when the brake is released to get under the 12 that the brake lights operate at, so it is tripping the safety feature that thinks the brakes are being pressed on when they really arent. This is just what I believe to be happening, and dont have enough knowledge in wiring to fix it myself, so I let Spec D know about a week ago, so I'm waiting for a response.
okay cool, I've actually been in contact with Jeff from Gen Racer and he had Spec D contact me just today. They want me to send them a video of what's going on so they can send it over to their R&D department to see if they can figure out how to fix it.I'll probably send then a video this weekend and I'll keep everyone updated on the forum as to the progress.
Imtiaz is offline  
post #54 of 54 Old 06-22-2019 Thread Starter
Member
 
Michael Persons's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imtiaz View Post
okay cool, I've actually been in contact with Jeff from Gen Racer and he had Spec D contact me just today. They want me to send them a video of what's going on so they can send it over to their R&D department to see if they can figure out how to fix it.I'll probably send then a video this weekend and I'll keep everyone updated on the forum as to the progress.
Sounds good, please keep us updated.

Wish my car worked
Michael Persons is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Related Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
hm throttle position sensor? throttle cable? throttle body stuck? hajimah 2.0T Discussion 2008-2012 9 02-22-2015 03:16 PM
Throttle Response Delay jaybone909 3.8 V6 Discussion 2008-2012 35 09-13-2012 03:06 PM
Improving partial throttle power response sanengo 2.0T Discussion 2008-2012 4 04-22-2011 01:45 PM
1st gear difficult to engage smoothly/throttle response sluggish docprego 2.0T Discussion 2008-2012 3 08-19-2009 07:15 PM
Update on the throttle response & rev hang! [email protected] 2.0T Discussion 2008-2012 41 07-02-2009 08:32 AM


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Genesis Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome