HELP!!!!! Car keeps throwing overboost code - Hyundai Genesis Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 08-10-2019 Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Exclamation HELP!!!!! Car keeps throwing overboost code

So i have a 14 Gen coupe 2.0T A/T. Car has intake, turboback exhaust, and bov. When going WOT car gets turbo overspeed code. When just crusing and not hitting full boost car seems to run fine. Replaced the wastegate thinking that is what it was and that didnt change anything. Anyone can help me with this? Does wastegate need to be adjusted or could it be the 02 sensors??
Bk2_Dash is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 Old 08-10-2019
Senior Member
 
AKGC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 14,673
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)

Lower the preload on the wastegate
AKGC is offline  
post #3 of 21 Old 08-11-2019
Dropping Knowledge
 
GenCoupeBoricua's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 133
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Garage

What mod did you do when this started happening?

2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe
R-Spec | 2.0L Turbo | Tsukuba Red | 6 Speed Manual

Mods
A shitload
GenCoupeBoricua is offline  
 
post #4 of 21 Old 08-11-2019 Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKGC View Post
Lower the preload on the wastegate
How do i do that ??
Bk2_Dash is offline  
post #5 of 21 Old 08-11-2019 Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenCoupeBoricua View Post
What mod did you do when this started happening?
o2 housing
Bk2_Dash is offline  
post #6 of 21 Old 08-11-2019
Dropping Knowledge
 
GenCoupeBoricua's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 133
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bk2_Dash View Post
o2 housing
What BOV do you have? Connected where?

Also, did you unplug the battery and let it sit?

2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe
R-Spec | 2.0L Turbo | Tsukuba Red | 6 Speed Manual

Mods
A shitload
GenCoupeBoricua is offline  
post #7 of 21 Old 08-11-2019 Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenCoupeBoricua View Post
What BOV do you have? Connected where?

Also, did you unplug the battery and let it sit?
Had a Forge, now have a turboxs. Stock location and yes I have done that. Had to when i tried to put my canned tune back on. (car wont start on the canned tune).
Bk2_Dash is offline  
post #8 of 21 Old 08-11-2019
Dropping Knowledge
 
GenCoupeBoricua's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 133
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bk2_Dash View Post
Had a Forge, now have a turboxs. Stock location and yes I have done that. Had to when i tried to put my canned tune back on. (car wont start on the canned tune).
Connect your BOV to manifold pressure instead. Sounds like the BOV might not be going off fast enough with the extra airflow of your turbo since you removed the cat. This results in the computer expecting less air pressure vs what is in the manifold still.

2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe
R-Spec | 2.0L Turbo | Tsukuba Red | 6 Speed Manual

Mods
A shitload
GenCoupeBoricua is offline  
post #9 of 21 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenCoupeBoricua View Post
Connect your BOV to manifold pressure instead. Sounds like the BOV might not be going off fast enough with the extra airflow of your turbo since you removed the cat. This results in the computer expecting less air pressure vs what is in the manifold still.
Going to try that
Bk2_Dash is offline  
post #10 of 21 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Senior Member
 
AKGC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 14,673
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)

didn't realize that this is on a BK2.

disconnect the connector at the waste gate actuator, and plug it back in.

Also, disconnect the battery for an hour, and connect it back.
AKGC is offline  
post #11 of 21 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKGC View Post
didn't realize that this is on a BK2.

disconnect the connector at the waste gate actuator, and plug it back in.

Also, disconnect the battery for an hour, and connect it back.
Yeah have done that multiple times.
Bk2_Dash is offline  
post #12 of 21 Old 2 Weeks Ago
Junior Member
 
Lusca24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bk2_Dash View Post
So i have a 14 Gen coupe 2.0T A/T. Car has intake, turboback exhaust, and bov. When going WOT car gets turbo overspeed code. When just crusing and not hitting full boost car seems to run fine. Replaced the wastegate thinking that is what it was and that didnt change anything. Anyone can help me with this? Does wastegate need to be adjusted or could it be the 02 sensors??
I had this same issue on my 2013 2.0t m/t. The previous owner also had the same mods you have. He installed a spacer for the 02 sensor behind the primary catalytic converter behind the turbo. I kept getting turbo overspeed 172000 rpm. Lets say I had to rebuild the head of the motor because of this issue. One of the tappets for the cam broke off and destroyed the head. I ended up replacing the o2 sensor and removing that spacer. Also tuned the car so I wouldn't get the check engine light and never had issues since. Good luck.
Lusca24 is offline  
post #13 of 21 Old 2 Weeks Ago
Senior Member
 
AKGC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 14,673
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusca24 View Post
I had this same issue on my 2013 2.0t m/t. The previous owner also had the same mods you have. He installed a spacer for the 02 sensor behind the primary catalytic converter behind the turbo. I kept getting turbo overspeed 172000 rpm. Lets say I had to rebuild the head of the motor because of this issue. One of the tappets for the cam broke off and destroyed the head. I ended up replacing the o2 sensor and removing that spacer. Also tuned the car so I wouldn't get the check engine light and never had issues since. Good luck.
to add a footnote to this, disabling the 2nd o2 sensor via tune, just keeps it in a persistent "ready" state, which means it won't pass emissions test, if it's required where you live.
AKGC is offline  
post #14 of 21 Old 2 Weeks Ago
Junior Member
 
Lusca24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKGC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusca24 View Post
I had this same issue on my 2013 2.0t m/t. The previous owner also had the same mods you have. He installed a spacer for the 02 sensor behind the primary catalytic converter behind the turbo. I kept getting turbo overspeed 172000 rpm. Lets say I had to rebuild the head of the motor because of this issue. One of the tappets for the cam broke off and destroyed the head. I ended up replacing the o2 sensor and removing that spacer. Also tuned the car so I wouldn't get the check engine light and never had issues since. Good luck.
to add a footnote to this, disabling the 2nd o2 sensor via tune, just keeps it in a persistent "ready" state, which means it won't pass emissions test, if it's required where you live.
Ofcourse, but with these mods it would not matter either way. Your going to have to get a special smog either way. It's better then blowing your motor. 🙂
Lusca24 is offline  
post #15 of 21 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusca24 View Post
I had this same issue on my 2013 2.0t m/t. The previous owner also had the same mods you have. He installed a spacer for the 02 sensor behind the primary catalytic converter behind the turbo. I kept getting turbo overspeed 172000 rpm. Lets say I had to rebuild the head of the motor because of this issue. One of the tappets for the cam broke off and destroyed the head. I ended up replacing the o2 sensor and removing that spacer. Also tuned the car so I wouldn't get the check engine light and never had issues since. Good luck.
Put my original wastegate actuator back on and car runs fine and doesnt overboost but car doesnt start on canned tune..Thinking its the tune and not the car.
Bk2_Dash is offline  
post #16 of 21 Old 2 Weeks Ago
Dropping Knowledge
 
GenCoupeBoricua's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 133
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Garage

SO we went from just adding an O2 housing to having a tune? If you do not give these details some of the information given will not help you. There is also a difference between a wastegate and a blowoff/bypass valve.

2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe
R-Spec | 2.0L Turbo | Tsukuba Red | 6 Speed Manual

Mods
A shitload
GenCoupeBoricua is offline  
post #17 of 21 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenCoupeBoricua View Post
SO we went from just adding an O2 housing to having a tune? If you do not give these details some of the information given will not help you. There is also a difference between a wastegate and a blowoff/bypass valve.
o. Had a canned tune that the car ran fine with. I put the stock ecu back in because i sent the canned tune back to bypass the 02 sensor code because i was going catless. After getting the 02 hosing on...car runs fine on stock tune. With canned tune car wont start.. Since the car wasnt starting on the canned tune i figured it might be the wastegate so i replaced that..didnt work. After doing that kept the new wastegate on and found that the car keeps overboosting...Now i have the original wastegate on and with stock tune car doesnt overboost........Also have replaced the BOV. went from a forge to TurboXS........Again, car ran fine on tune before deleting the cats.
Bk2_Dash is offline  
post #18 of 21 Old 1 Week Ago
Senior Member
 
AKGC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 14,673
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusca24 View Post
Ofcourse, but with these mods it would not matter either way. Your going to have to get a special smog either way. It's better then blowing your motor. 🙂
The 2nd o2 sensor doesn't do anything, except tell the ECU if the primary cat is working.

the ECU doesn't do adjustments because of the 2nd o2 sensor readings. It does adjustments by primary o2 readings, even then it minute.
AKGC is offline  
post #19 of 21 Old 5 Days Ago
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

get an alphaspeed tune


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
zackthecamel121 is offline  
post #20 of 21 Old 2 Days Ago Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackthecamel121 View Post
get an alphaspeed tune


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Want to but dont want to get another tune until i know for sure its nothing to do with the car....also would rather just get a dyno tune but no where to go in GA
Bk2_Dash is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Genesis Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome