Odd Occurrence while cruising - Hyundai Genesis Forum
 5Likes
  • 2 Post By AKGC
  • 1 Post By dagreekgencoupe
  • 1 Post By GenPops69
  • 1 Post By AKGC
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 09-25-2019 Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
GenPops69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Odd Occurrence while cruising

Yesterday my son was on I95 on cruise control in his '12 3.8 w/112k miles (car is vg cond) and he says the cruise control and traction control kicked off simultaneously without any input on his part.. When he restarted the car, everything worked normally again. I'm puzzled on this one. Sensor?
GenPops69 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 09-25-2019
Senior Member
 
AKGC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 14,787
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)

maybe one of the abs/speed sensors?

front ones are built into the hubs, so hubs would need to be replaces, if it is what is causing it.

rears, just unbolt the sensors from the hub carrier.
GenPops69 and Psynormous like this.
AKGC is offline  
post #3 of 10 Old 09-25-2019
Senior Member
 
dagreekgencoupe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 306
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)

Also check the brake light switch, if the plunger doesn't get pushed it when you are off the brakes, it will keep the brake lights on continuously and shut down the ESC/TC and Cruise Control. Our brake light switches are adjustable, 2 nuts that hold it on the brake pedal.
GenPops69 likes this.

2010 2.0T Premium 6 Speed M/T
SFR Stage 1 Tune 93 Octane
Homemade SRI
Homemade single exit exhaust
Kinugawa/Kamak (Forge) BOV and Bypassed
Megan Racing Tranny Mount
Actuator arm baseline adjustment, needed 3 whole turns
Injen Intercoolers Pipes
Turbo Boost Gauge
HID Headlight Conversion Kit
Red LEDs in Dash, Center Display, HVAC Controls, Steering Wheel Controls and Window Switches
LED Interior, Glove Box, Trunk and License Plate Lights
Spyder LED Taillights
Rear Lip Spoiler
dagreekgencoupe is offline  
 
post #4 of 10 Old 09-25-2019
Junior Member
 
Psynormous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage

I had this exact problem it was a speed sensor. It started intermittently, and eventually threw a CEL. I had this happen twice in the first 10k miles or so...
Psynormous is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old 09-25-2019 Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
GenPops69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

So this is what we have established so far. The day before we replaced both headlights and taillights with Spec-D's. Both sets of lights have load resistors to prevent hyper flashing. We have confirmed that when the headlights come on it disables the cruise control and the traction control. When we turn the headlights off, they both work normally again. What is causing the interference is the mystery.
GenPops69 is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old 09-26-2019
Senior Member
 
AKGC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 14,787
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenPops69 View Post
So this is what we have established so far. The day before we replaced both headlights and taillights with Spec-D's. Both sets of lights have load resistors to prevent hyper flashing. We have confirmed that when the headlights come on it disables the cruise control and the traction control. When we turn the headlights off, they both work normally again. What is causing the interference is the mystery.
How did you determine this? did swap headlights and swapped them again for testing?
If so, did you swap the tail lights and headlights separately during testing?

did it do it again for a second time?

Sounds like a coincidence to me... or a combination of what degreek said and the tail lights.
AKGC is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 09-26-2019 Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
GenPops69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKGC View Post
How did you determine this? did swap headlights and swapped them again for testing?
If so, did you swap the tail lights and headlights separately during testing?

did it do it again for a second time?

Sounds like a coincidence to me... or a combination of what degreek said and the tail lights.
What we found out that it is actually the Spec D sequential LED tail lights (these pull more power than the average LED tail lights which we replaced and did not even have load resistors before), not the headlights; even though the Spec D sequential tail lights came with load resistors. After doing some research this what we found out that the cruise control uses the same ground path to the rear tail lights as the cruise control. Because of the complexity of these sequential LED's, when the tail lights come on (even without the brake lights; just the tail lights) it is sending a signal through the ground wire to the CC causing it to disengage. What we are going to try next is adding one more set of load resistors to see if this remedies the problem. I will be posting updates as we work through this issue. I was surprised not to find any other Gen Coupe owners with these lights having this issue. However we did find other vehicles with new after market rear LED's having the same issue.

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussion...e-control-inop
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/2-f...issues.195975/
AKGC likes this.

Last edited by GenPops69; 09-26-2019 at 08:32 AM.
GenPops69 is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old 09-26-2019
Senior Member
 
AKGC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 14,787
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenPops69 View Post
What we found out that it is actually the Spec D sequential LED tail lights (these pull more power than the average LED tail lights which we replaced and did not even have load resistors before), not the headlights; even though the Spec D sequential tail lights came with load resistors. After doing some research this what we found out that the cruise control uses the same ground path to the rear tail lights as the cruise control. Because of the complexity of these sequential LED's, when the tail lights come on (even without the brake lights; just the tail lights) it is sending a signal through the ground wire to the CC causing it to disengage. What we are going to try next is adding one more set of load resistors to see if this remedies the problem. I will be posting updates as we work through this issue. I was surprised not to find any other Gen Coupe owners with these lights having this issue. However we did find other vehicles with new after market rear LED's having the same issue.

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussion...e-control-inop
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/2-f...issues.195975/
it could be that when CC is engaged and sees that the brake light is on (not because of the brake pedal) then it disengages the CC. This could by load resistances ohms.

I suggest using a multimeter and testing the ohms of each OEM taillight from the plug, then checking ohms with spec d taillights as is, then you can figure our around what ohm resistors is needed.
GenPops69 likes this.
AKGC is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 09-27-2019 Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
GenPops69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

We haven't tried using a multi meter yet, but we were also getting uneven brightness on the tail lights. The right was brighter than the left. We solved that problem by increasing the STOP fuse by 5 amps. We added load resistors to the rear (which now totaled two resistors per side) and that did not resolve the CC problem. We are now going to try to disconnect the negative battery cable to see if that helps.
GenPops69 is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 10-04-2019
2012 Gen. 3.8 Track w/ZF
 
-fritz-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Henderson, NV
Posts: 714
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)

I had the exact same problem back when I had about 25,000 miles on my car. I know this sounds strange but each time. I got the cruise and TC working again by pulling and then pushing back in, the Audio and Memory fuses which are linked together in the fuse box in the cabin at the left end of the dash. It may have done it a couple more times. I don't recall, but it has never done it since. I now have a bit over 106,000 miles.

2012 Genesis 3.8 Track, Silverstone, w/ZF Trans.
20% Tint. Fogs on anytime mod.
Gencoupe Wings emblems.
K&N Drop-in, and carbon filter delete.
Quad exhaust tips.
-fritz- is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Genesis Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome