1stgengen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
[INFO] General Coilover DIYs/Tips/Tricks/Knowledge

Hey Guys,

I noticed that there is a lack of easy to find info here related to coilovers. I've assembled a few threads that I'll link here that might help and hopefully this can be stickied for future use by members. Please link any other relevant coilover info you might stumble upon and I'll add it to the list.

All coilover suspension systems for the Genesis Coupe should fit, regardless of model year, trim and engine type, including 2013+ years. There is a slight difference in end links for the front suspension in years 2011+. I'll update with further info on that topic shortly, unless someone else can elaborate until then. Bascially, 2010 coupes have different sized endlinks than 2011+, meaning you have to take that into consideration. Thanks to rogkum for the info on endlinks provided in his post below.

I'll leave product reviews out of this for the most part, just to be all inclusive.

Enjoy! [FYI, read whole threads, as things are often updated and explained further]

ISC Install by xGuMB1x
https://www.gencoupe.com/suspension-2...diy-video.html

ISC Install by Kepone w/ lots of info on rear preload
https://www.gencoupe.com/suspension-2...pics-info.html

BC Racing Install by Sigel
https://www.gencoupe.com/diy-do-yours...r-install.html

Turn In Concepts suspension overview
https://www.gencoupe.com/suspension-2...-revealed.html

General Help w/ HSD adjustment guide
https://www.gencoupe.com/suspension-2...ll-help-2.html

Good info on spring rates
https://www.gencoupe.com/suspension-2...ing-rates.html

Thread on roll stiffness and weight transfer
https://www.gencoupe.com/articles-cha...ould-know.html

Available Coilovers w/ spring rates and dampening

HSD HR
16 way dampening
6kg (f)
7kg (r)
camber plates
HT series w/remote reservoir available
48 step rebound
12 step compression

BC Racing
30 way dampening
camber plates

ARK ST-P
16 way dampening
12kg
10kg

ARK DT-P
16 way dampening
12kg
10kg
camber plates

Stance GR+
15 way dampening
6kg
7kg
camber plates

KW Variant 3
14 way compression dampening/infinite rebound w/ two stage valving
400lbs/min front spring rate
progressive rear spring rate

Cusco Sport Zero-2E
5 way dampening
9kg (f)(r)
24 way avail. (Zero-3)
external reservoir avail. (Zero-3x)

D1 Factory
8 way dampening
6kg
5kg

Eibach Pro Street
no dampening adjustment
8.2kg
2.75-4.07kg progressive

Tein Street Basic
?

Megan Racing
32 way dampening
7kg
8kg
camber plates

PBM Max Pro USA
12 way dampening
8kg
6kg
Camber/Caster adjustment

ST Speedtech by KW
No dampening adjustment
400lbs/min front spring rate
progressive rear spring rate

CX Racing
32 way dampening
10kg
7kg

CX Racing V2
32 way dampening
5kg
8kg
camber plates

K-Sport Kontrol Pro

Research before you buy!

Still updating as info is found.
kimnat0r likes this.

One standardized US gallon of displacement compressed using 6 pistons housed in a 60 degree all aluminum V shaped block to 10.4 atmospheres injected and ejected via 24 valves and 4 camshafts. Mix part 100% organically produced air w/ part refined 91 octane liquid hydrocarbons. Expose to electricity and pressure within the energy extrapolater to produce forward thrust via a fully synchronized helical gear set coupled to a minimal slippage differentiator and rubberized traction disks.

Last edited by ByByCavalier; 01-03-2013 at 06:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 Old 12-20-2012

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

PBM
MAX PRO coilovers have many of the best things you have come to expect from our competition coilovers like front and rear pillowball spring perches, light weight mounting brackets and full tap super low independent ride height adjustability. They also have high quality components and a robust damper but unlike the comp. coilover which is a pretty stiff ride that compliments lower power cars, the damping on the PRO coilover has been fine tuned for a softer range by Eisuke Kawamori of Parts Shop MAX Japan to give high grip that high power cars require. The softer damper with more adjustability also compliments the NEW SLL Springs which feel softer than our standard springs because the rate is more linear. The SLL springs make this pro coilover even lighter than the comp coilovers. This pro coilover also feels comfortable on the street and has increased stroke.

Your requests on our wish list forum were taken into account here. These have been development for over a year after and prototypes have seen action throughout the 2010 Formula D season on Tommy Roberts and Matt Powers car (before Matt finally got picked up by major FD sponsor KW). The 2011 season will see Ryan Kado running these on his 350Z and for the 2012 FD Season we will add Matt fields S14 to the Pro roster. I have personally put more than 10,000 daily driven miles into testing these on the streets in my genesis. With the success of our exsisting coilovers over the last 5 years, we were in no hurry to release a new coilover line until it has met our expectations and withstood more abuse than you will give them through competition and crashes. They had to be dead sexy too - so we came up with a new look that has never been seen before by replacing orange and gold with real copper and mirror gold so we cant be mistaken for other products out there who use similar colors. Look for this color scheme in 2012 products designed to compliment the PRO coilovers. We hope you enjoy what we have worked so hard to create for you.
Sincerely, the entire team at Parts Shop MAX Japan and USA

Unique Features:
~ Super Light Linear Spring
~ CNC aluminum components double coated with pure copper, sealed with clear urethane
~ Pillowball uppers front and rear (teflon lined maintenance free)
~ Pillowball lower mounts (except Z33)
~ Fine damper threads to resist loosening
~ Rebound Infinitely adjustable with 12 click tactile feedback knob.
~ Damping has more adjustability all on the soft end of the range to compliment the swift springs and big traction on high power cars.
~ Camber AND CASTER adjustable front upper mount
~ 2 Degrees of negative camber built into lower mount
~ Lifetime warranty against manufacturer defect

MAX PRO COILOVERS BK Genesis 8/6KG $1,350.00 USD, 6 in stock
post #3 of 53 Old 12-20-2012 Thread Starter
1stgengen

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Thanks, Benedict. I've updated with dampening and spring rate info.

One standardized US gallon of displacement compressed using 6 pistons housed in a 60 degree all aluminum V shaped block to 10.4 atmospheres injected and ejected via 24 valves and 4 camshafts. Mix part 100% organically produced air w/ part refined 91 octane liquid hydrocarbons. Expose to electricity and pressure within the energy extrapolater to produce forward thrust via a fully synchronized helical gear set coupled to a minimal slippage differentiator and rubberized traction disks.

post #4 of 53 Old 12-21-2012
'11 3.8 Silverstone

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Garage

I wanted to add a bit of related info, about the end links change. All models built after 9/15/2010, have longer end links, and are not compatible with any coilover system designed for 2010 models (unless you get a set of the shorter 2010 end links of course).

It is commonly believed that the increased end link length was to reduce bump steer, which is true, but there is more to it. Snoopy0812 was able to elaborate, hope he doesn't mind me posting this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy0812
The endllinks don't just reduce bumpsteer, it's actually a side affect of their main purpose which is primarily handling. The shorter tighter endlinks are for high speed (think over 150km/h) stability and improved feedback in aggressive scenarios such as tracking and drifting. However the negative effect is DD handling, increased NVH and tramming. If you're not familiar with tramming, it's when the wheels are forced into grooves in the road and it becomes stiff or difficult to get out of them.

The longer, softer endlinks do nearly the exact opposite of the sorter ones. They trade highspeed performance for better DD. Some may notice the difference in handling, most however notice the bumpsteer change. To regain some of that highspeed performance without adversly affecting the DD characteristics you can use tighter bushings and ball joints while still maintaining the fundamentals of the longer endlinks. The 2013's went this route so they could run a softer more tolerant suspension while not sacrificing anything in handling and it works.

Last edited by rogkum; 01-09-2013 at 05:34 AM. Reason: added pic
post #5 of 53 Old 12-26-2012 Thread Starter
1stgengen

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Thanks for that, rogkum.

List has been updated a bit.

post #6 of 53 Old 12-27-2012

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Great thread and contribution Cavalier!!

2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track | 6 Speed Manual | Becketts Black
2011 Sonata 2.4 SE | 6 Speed Auto | Radiant Silver
2000 Yamaha YZF R6 | Carbureted | Blue
post #7 of 53 Old 12-27-2012
Genesis OG

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)

Only thing this thread is missing is tips/tricks on camber adjustment (using camber plates) and tips/tricks on adjusting ride height in the rear (mainly quickest/easiest way)

2013 3.8 Track M/T

BC Racing Coilovers
R2C Intake
ARK Downpipes
ARK Test Pipes
Custom CNT V3 w/ X pipe
SFR Custom Tuned
Dolphin Grey Work Varianza/AG M560
19x9.5 +15 235/35 Achilles ATR Sport
19x11 +18 265/30
Xenon Depot 6500K D1S HIDs
6000K Switchbacks
6000K LED Fogs
Full Time DRL's
RGB Halos
Custom Interior LED Kit
6W Reverse LEDs
20% Tint
post #8 of 53 Old 12-28-2012 Thread Starter
1stgengen

Garage
(Thread Starter)

I'll see what I can do. Thanks for the suggestion!

post #9 of 53 Old 12-28-2012

Garage

Any tips for pbm install? Ordering coils and rlca's from pbm in the next day or two

Sent from my DROID3 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
post #10 of 53 Old 12-28-2012 Thread Starter
1stgengen

Garage
(Thread Starter)

As this is just a general guide for most coilover type, I would contact PBM or perhaps members who have installed that specific set of coils for installation tips. PBM has a "coil over damper" setup in the rear, where all the other brands have separate coil/damper assemblies, just like OEM. However, If I come across anything in my searches, I'll be sure to post it up.

post #11 of 53 Old 12-28-2012

Garage

O ok cool

post #12 of 53 Old 12-28-2012
제네시스 쿠페

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage

^ install is straight forward.

for the fronts, you can follow any of the DIY above but you can use 1320drift's specs for caster/camber adjustment by switching the position of the top hats.

The rears, once you have it, you will know. Don't worry about the empty OEM spring seat area.

2010 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track 6MT w/Navi - Karussel White
2015 Lexus GS350 Fsport - Ultra White
1995 Mazda Miata MX-5 5MT - Black

█▄▄ ███ █▄▄ _ █▄█▄█ █▄█ ▀█▀
ಠ_ಠ
post #13 of 53 Old 12-28-2012

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Would you recommend using PBM for daily cars J? I don't track my car, but am looking for something comfortable and that will also allow for easier ride height adjustment in the rear. It was a lot of work every time I wanted to go lower or raising up my car with the Megans and BC I'd have to pull the whole rear assembly out.

post #14 of 53 Old 12-29-2012

Garage

You plan on adjusting ride height that often?

post #15 of 53 Old 12-30-2012 Thread Starter
1stgengen

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Another question, why would you pull the whole assembly out?

post #16 of 53 Old 12-30-2012
Lord Stig

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011Genesis View Post
Would you recommend using PBM for daily cars J? I don't track my car, but am looking for something comfortable and that will also allow for easier ride height adjustment in the rear. It was a lot of work every time I wanted to go lower or raising up my car with the Megans and BC I'd have to pull the whole rear assembly out.
I would. Already have spent a Day DD with them. I have the rear at 8 and up front at 0 clicks like 1320Drift has it. Its pretty comfortable for me. I'm sure if I left it at 0 click all round it would be super soft.

Raising and lowering the rears with the PBM rear coilover is cake! You dont have to romve the whole assembly off. Just the Spring and strut. thats it.

"Some say he disappears months at a time, and when he comes back, a new record for driving to and from a taco truck has been set. all we know is, he's called el_stig" [email protected]

Trusted with INVISION.

Suspension: