Questions on wheel vibration issues - Hyundai Genesis Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 08-10-2013 Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Questions on wheel vibration issues

I've been having some steering wheel vibration issues recently and tried to rule out everything it could be and was hoping I could get some ideas from you guys.

I'll try to make this short:
Replaced rear tires after a blowout and got a realignment after seeing unusual tire wear (camber was bad). Got alignment and balanced, Hyundai techs told me it was all good but front driver rim was damaged and needed repair. Got that repaired, and had everything re-balanced, still had vibration issues since front tires were worn badly due to initial bad alignment and rim damage.

I replaced the front tires, now have all 4 new tires and one repaired rim. Car drives better than before but still getting slight vibration issues at about 45+ mph and seems to go away after 75+ mph but it's hit and miss. Also, steering wheel is off center (tilts left to drive straight) and the car drifts to the right a bit.

While the front tires were being replaced I requested all tires to be balanced and was told the rear driver side rim had some damage (minimal?) to the inside since it couldn't really balance right but they couldn't tell exactly where. I plan on having that repaired and Hyundai said they would re-check alignment and steering wheel issue.

What I'm wondering is whether the rear rim being slightly damaged would cause the vibration issues or not? It's really nothing major according to what they could see but I want to eliminate all wheel/tire/balancing/alignment issues before I have the dealer really dig into the vibration issue.

BTW, from what I've read on other threads people say slight vibration can and will happen no matter what so what would be considered "normal" vibration?

Thanks for any help you all can provide.

2012 Hyundai Genesis 2.0T R-Spec

Sold the car - BUY MY PARTS! For Sale thread below

https://www.gencoupe.com/private-classifieds-engine/429634-2012-2-0t-part-out-back-stock-feeler.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-13-2013
Function Over Form

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Typically the average alignment shop will get you within tolerance. A real alignment shop will get it nats ass on the money. If your steering wheel if off and the car pulls that means your alignment shop sucks and if the wheels and tires don't balance it will add to the effect of the alignment. The longer you drive with a bad alignment the more your tires will wear funny so when you do get a good alignment you will still have problems with pulling and vibration because of your tires. I've had my car aligned over 20 times with multiple set ups and countless number of tires by the way.

Just find an alignment shop with good reviews get a real alignment and call it a day. I bet its the alignment of the front that is causing the vibration

Edit: do some homework. Know exactly what alignment specs you want your car set to. Don't leave it to them.

Parts Shop Max Level Up
SFR tuned

Last edited by 1320drift; 08-13-2013 at 11:55 AM.
post #3 of 12 Old 08-13-2013 Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

I actually took it to hyundai since the previous shops I used are the ones that messed everything up. My hope was that the hyundai techs would know what they're doing and get the alignment right.
I was going to use some of the specs I found online but also read that since each car is different you really cant use the same exact specs on every car so that's why there's a ballpark of what to set the alignment to. Is that correct?

I'm picking up the car later today so hopefully they got it fixed and I'll post the alignment sheet up to see what everyone thinks about how they did.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

https://www.gencoupe.com/private-classifieds-engine/429634-2012-2-0t-part-out-back-stock-feeler.html

post #4 of 12 Old 09-09-2013

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Any updates on this issue being resolved or not?

I'm having the same problem and about a week ago had my front tires balanced and all 4 wheels aligned but vibration is remaining, plus pulling to the right. (Front wheels are fairly new and rears will be changed very very soon)

The problem is that my Hyundai dealer's alignment machine is not working and I've been waiting for it for weeks. As soon as they get the machine working I'm taking it in so they can check where the problem is.

I know many have had this issue and got it resolved by getting the drive shaft changed under warranty. Hope I can get this over with as well, because I'm really pissed about the vibration and pulling on the steering.
post #5 of 12 Old 09-09-2013
I'd rather do it myself

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage

If the vibration is in the steering wheel then that's the front tires. If you can feel it through the seat then that's the rear tires.

2010 Red 2.0L track

Quote:
If the Pharaohs had duct tape, the Sphinx would still have a nose...."
post #6 of 12 Old 09-09-2013

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage

run your hand across the treads and feel for chopping or something funny. The vibration is likely something out of balance or the tire is out of round. They can come from a shop not quite circular. If they are stood on the tread for a long time without moving, gravity will make them sag. Sounds silly, but it happens. If all the alignment specs and balancing is good, jack up the front end and spin the tires. Look for undulations.

Parting out 2011 3.8 auto: K&N Drop in, OEM exhaust, OEM springs, LEDs, HIDs
post #7 of 12 Old 09-22-2013 Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Sorry I haven't updated but here's what's going on so far.
The dealership supposedly said they fixed the problem on paper buy the vibration never went away and the car still drifts to the right. I never took the car back since school started the week after and if I drop off to get worked on again they almost always keep it for 2 days with no loaner car for me.
Anyway, I got fed up and took it to a place to examine my wheel and sure enough it was bent from the inside. They fixed it and vibration issue went away. I'm super pissed the dealership never caught this and just said it was fixed. For the drifting issue I think I'm gonna take it a step further and get a hold of HMA and see what happens from there.

post #8 of 12 Old 09-23-2013
Korean Asswhoopin

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)

Sounds like they didn't take it on the highway or road force balance that wheel. A good hunter balancer will tell them if the rim has excess vibrations per revolution, if the wheel is bent in the barrel they could have hammered it out with a dead blow but a new rim is always the best fix.

2010 Grey Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T Track - Beyond Redline - Haltech and BW EFR 7064 - 385 whp and 345 wtq (SOLD)

2017 VW Golf R "Daily"
post #9 of 12 Old 09-23-2013
Korean Asswhoopin

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)

doublepost

2010 Grey Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T Track - Beyond Redline - Haltech and BW EFR 7064 - 385 whp and 345 wtq (SOLD)

2017 VW Golf R "Daily"

Last edited by Thumb5; 09-23-2013 at 06:46 PM. Reason: doublepost
post #10 of 12 Old 10-14-2013 Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

So I found a place that had a gsp9700 and it seems to have fixed the problem as best as it can be fixed considering I have 2 repaired rims. Vibration is pretty much all gone. The only way to completely get rid if the very little vibration that is left is just to buy new wheels but I might hold off on that for a while considering I have other things I gotta save up for.

Oh, and they performed an alignment using a Hunter machine but it still pulls a little to the right. Not as much as it used to but still enough to bother me. I have a 6 month warranty on it so I'll probably take it in sometime soon but I'm just straight up baffled why the pull is still happening.

Last edited by Bevo Lotti; 10-14-2013 at 06:21 PM.
post #11 of 12 Old 10-14-2013
GenSport KY

Location: In-between, BFE and You sure do have a pretty mouf.
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

I too had a car that would drift to the right, so hard that it would fatigue my arm fighting the car (Known Hyundai/Kia issue) After I had 6 alignments done with out much of a change, I took it upon myself to correct the issue. In my measurements, I found my scrub radius was grossly out. Right side was at a negative scrub, while the drivers side was closer to a 0 scrub. This was causing the pull, after investing into a set of coilovers with pillowball mounts, and adjustable top hats I now have corrected the issue. I'm glad to have this issue fixed

A suspension with 0 camber can be closer to | | adding in camber or wider wheels also causes your scrub to be off. In the genesis coupe I recommend a strut angle more like this / \ to get desired camber you may need camber bolts on some coilover models, remember the more camber added the more you need to adjust the scrub.

Watch this to show the relation of camber and scrub, and how if one changes, so should the other equally

Hydrogen and Stupidity, The most common elements in the universe.

Say NO! to Import Shark
https://www.facebook.com/SayNoToImportShark?fref=ts

Last edited by Molotov Fun; 10-14-2013 at 11:58 PM.
post #12 of 12 Old 10-15-2013

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I came from a G, so when I hear vibration my mind thinks bushings(G35 has horrible bushing issues). Then I'll check wheel bearings. I check tires on a regular basis so I never worry about those. Speaking of an alignment, I'm due for one. Firestone lifetime here I come
Sponsored Links
Advertisement