Alignment question - Hyundai Genesis Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By AKGC
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 07-30-2019 Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: GA
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Alignment question

Hello everyone I just have a couple questions regarding my alignment situation. I have a 2015 ultimate stock suspension with around 32k miles. I was having a pull to the left so I recently got an alignment and the issue is still there. So I'm wondering if the front caster/camber is the reason I'm getting the pull. The place I went to said they can't adjust the front caster/camber and based off everything I read on the forum the dealership can't do much either. I'm also having a rubbing feeling in the steering wheel that happens only when going over 75 MPH. I can live with the pull to the left but the rubbing feeling is what really concerns me it just randomly started happening. I'll post a link to the alignment sheet they gave me any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
https://imgur.com/oSb6t0t
yahjoogooleh is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 07-30-2019
Senior Member
 
AKGC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 14,771
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 743 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahjoogooleh View Post
Hello everyone I just have a couple questions regarding my alignment situation. I have a 2015 ultimate stock suspension with around 32k miles. I was having a pull to the left so I recently got an alignment and the issue is still there. So I'm wondering if the front caster/camber is the reason I'm getting the pull. The place I went to said they can't adjust the front caster/camber and based off everything I read on the forum the dealership can't do much either. I'm also having a rubbing feeling in the steering wheel that happens only when going over 75 MPH. I can live with the pull to the left but the rubbing feeling is what really concerns me it just randomly started happening. I'll post a link to the alignment sheet they gave me any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
https://imgur.com/oSb6t0t
Have them loosen the bolts to the front subframe and adjust caster that way.
Once caster is adjusted and much as it can be, then toe and camber can be adjusted.

There are official camber bolts that hyundai sells.

The other option is to get after market control arms.
AKGC is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 07-30-2019
I'd rather do it myself
 
Red Raspberry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Flat lands of Illinois
Posts: 18,231
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage

There are two bolts that keep the subframe pinned. Located half way between the front and rear mounts. You have to remove these to move the subframe any. Then loosen the mounts and get out a crow bar.

I have not done this on the Gen Coupe though. I did on a FWD car. But the Gen Coupe has the trans bolted to the body at the trans mount. 4 small bolts to remove. May have to slot the mount bolt holes, I don't know.

I had a pull to the right and I used some adjustable tension arms to push the right front tire more forward and move the left tire back to even the camber out. I would rather try the subframe way though.

2010 Red 2.0L track

Quote:
If the Pharaohs had duct tape, the Sphinx would still have a nose...."
Red Raspberry is offline  
 
post #4 of 12 Old 07-31-2019
In Charge of Snacks
 
Odelagt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Orange County, CA(We're broke, too!!!)
Posts: 2,049
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)

Glad I haven't had this problem yet. Subframe levering sounds disturbing.

'11 3.8 R-spec
Now trying to build the impossible
Odelagt is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 07-31-2019
I'd rather do it myself
 
Red Raspberry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Flat lands of Illinois
Posts: 18,231
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage

You can't move it forward much. There is less than an inch between the front of the tire and fender liner.

2010 Red 2.0L track

Quote:
If the Pharaohs had duct tape, the Sphinx would still have a nose...."
Red Raspberry is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old 08-01-2019
In Charge of Snacks
 
Odelagt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Orange County, CA(We're broke, too!!!)
Posts: 2,049
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Raspberry View Post
You can't move it forward much. There is less than an inch between the front of the tire and fender liner.
Another part that needs "aftermarketing". LOL

'11 3.8 R-spec
Now trying to build the impossible
Odelagt is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 08-18-2019
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Based.on those readings it seems unlikely that the static alignment is causing the pulling condition.

I've also got a 2015 ultimate that tends to pull. I've roadforced and straight tracked the tires, including side to side rotations, No change. Did the alignment, no change. My numbers were similar to yours.

No loose anything that I've found, but, I did get my Uniq subframe collars in and they're going on tomorrow. From the sounds of it, that could be my issue, and if it does ill let you know (root cause of misc noises and handling concerns seems to be subframe shifting). Maybe I'm too optimistic, but it shouldn't get anything but better from the reviews and posts I've read.
jTweak is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 08-18-2019
Senior Member
 
AKGC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 14,771
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 743 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTweak View Post
Based.on those readings it seems unlikely that the static alignment is causing the pulling condition.

I've also got a 2015 ultimate that tends to pull. I've roadforced and straight tracked the tires, including side to side rotations, No change. Did the alignment, no change. My numbers were similar to yours.

No loose anything that I've found, but, I did get my Uniq subframe collars in and they're going on tomorrow. From the sounds of it, that could be my issue, and if it does ill let you know (root cause of misc noises and handling concerns seems to be subframe shifting). Maybe I'm too optimistic, but it shouldn't get anything but better from the reviews and posts I've read.
The issue is the caster as I said earlier in the thread.
caster angle is the axis of the front wheels when steering. On a flat surface there shouldn't be any pulling. On a rutted or crested surface, say a worn road, the difference in caster angle is going to cause 1 wheel to behave differently that the other, the wheel with more caster angle is the one that is going to be pulling.
Caster angle on the car is not adjustable from the factory.

As Red said before, the alignment bolts for the subframe isn't going to give much adjustment.

The theory is, adjusting the subframe to fix caster angle. This will throw off the camber and toe angles, but those are adjustable with out modifying those geometeries.
Odelagt likes this.

Last edited by AKGC; 08-18-2019 at 07:59 PM.
AKGC is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 08-19-2019
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Ok. Keep me posted as to how this turns out. Put my collars in and had it aligned just a little while ago so nothing to report on that just yet.
jTweak is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 09-06-2019 Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: GA
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

So I found out what the rubbing was and it's the wheel hub/bearing. Does anyone know if this is covered under warranty? I haven't done any suspension or wheels yet but I think I remember reading somewhere that the wheel hub is covered under the bumper to bumper.
yahjoogooleh is offline  
post #11 of 12 Old 09-06-2019
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahjoogooleh View Post
So I found out what the rubbing was and it's the wheel hub/bearing. Does anyone know if this is covered under warranty? I haven't done any suspension or wheels yet but I think I remember reading somewhere that the wheel hub is covered under the bumper to bumper.
5yr/60k miles or, if you're original owner it's 10 yr / 100k miles.
jTweak is offline  
post #12 of 12 Old 09-06-2019 Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: GA
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTweak View Post
5yr/60k miles or, if you're original owner it's 10 yr / 100k miles.
Yeah that's what I thought too. I have a 2015 CPO and it has like 34kish.. so it looks like another dealership visit I hate waiting all day oh well at least it's covered. Then after that order rims/coils hahah
yahjoogooleh is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Genesis Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome