Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I started having an issue with what I thought was compressor surge, back when i instaslled an intake and downpipe. The car under full boost and load (4th gr and above) under 3k rpm, would sound like its WOT then not, WOT then not a couple few times untill just after 3k rpm and clear out. I asked many shops and applied "ALL" advice given. I was unsuccessful at fixxing the issue. SO I just continued to mod away.
Beyond redline stg2 reflash, 550cc inj, intake mani gasket, atp upper and lower downpipes, custom 3" exhaust, cx racing intercooler kit (w/re-mounted map bunge), MAperformance BOV block off plate.
I ended up puting down 296wtq and 261 whp. When I had her on the dyno you see in the graphs that something was going on under 3k rpm's.
Yesterday I finally decided to install a boost guage and MBC. I tuned to proper boost for my reflash, aprox. 20psi, and voilah no more boost surge.....yaaay.
I believe the oem bcs would be fine without intake and downpipe, but with the aftermarket parts on there the turbo spools way too fast for the bcs.
Now I cant wait to get back on the dyno and see where I am at now.

·
FUNCTION OVER FORM
5,383 Posts
Glad you found the source of the problem & finally got her fixed. I had planned on replacing mine anywho with aftermarket, but good to know.

·
Back to Stock!!
952 Posts
I had the same issue while running stock everything so I get what you were experiencing.

Yesterday I played around with boost settings; put every boost setting back to stock and removed clamps and got the same "hesitation". When I got home, I put the 3.7V clamp and it was totally gone!

Good u found it much earlier in the mods route than some of us did!

·
Premium Member
15,356 Posts
Stock one is garbage if you are having boost adjusted by it. It doesn't like having too many duty cycles going through it.

·
Finesse Is Everything
1,734 Posts
Those are some nice numbers.... Do you have a thread on your build?

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
Im at the same power #'s youre at (br stage2) my clutch started slipping bad on the first pull after install and the cars feels weird to. You pmed me but i have no idea what you said. Wheres the selenoid located? I can just eliminate it and all set? More details please

·
Premium Member
15,356 Posts
I think "selenoid" was suppose to be second solenoid.

The one that controls the BOV, that everybody just disconnects :p
idk what he wrote. So he could of meant something else.

0 out the BCS in CMD and use a MBC, if you don't want to short it out.
Otherwise get a grimmspeed BCS

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
I have pa stage 2 tune. So i cant just disconnect it?

·
Back to Stock!!
952 Posts
I have pa stage 2 tune. So i cant just disconnect it?
I'd verify with others having PA flash but at least on stock form, this might cause a "hard code" and cut your power or put your car in limp mode cause it doesn't have control over boost.

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
Yep i wont do that! I think my only problem right now is the clutch

·
Registered
86 Posts
im gettin something similiar to this. I have a dynojet cmd with a 20psi tune and 02 housing, downpipe, catback etc. and the tune will run really good and then suddenly i will get on the throttle and it will only boost 4psi. Is this limp mode or a ebcs problem?

·
209hp/280lbs tq :)
3,280 Posts
ive had the same issue as well. sometimes she feels good but other times and more lately it feels as if the turbo has to take forever to spool up and when it does she feels as she is struggling bad

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have no idea what my clamps are set at....I had a poweraxel unit as well but sold it because i thought it was the tune. The cmd i bought was used and the previous owner had ZERO problems with it

·
Back to Stock!!
952 Posts
Is ur boost map set to modify by offset or as open loop?

By offset, I had problems getting constant boost. Mine are set to open loop.

U'll need to work the boost tables again if u go this route though.

·
Premium Member
15,356 Posts
If you're getting a CEL then it's probably the clamp settings.

If not, then its most likely the EBCS.

Oddly enough, when mine went, I couldn't get into boost higher than 12 psi. Even though I had pretty much a different turbo, still would be the same on the stocker.

@flylow - What most people do is just take off the vacuum hoses and reroute them so they don't connect to the secondary. You can try to remove it all together, but pretty sure that it might throw a CEL.

Doesn't hurt to try. Just have to disconnect the battery and press the door switch a couple times and reconnect, if you see a CEL.

·
Back to Stock!!
952 Posts
If you're getting a CEL then it's probably the clamp settings.

If not, then its most likely the EBCS.

Oddly enough, when mine went, I couldn't get into boost higher than 12 psi. Even though I had pretty much a different turbo, still would be the same on the stocker.

@flylow - What most people do is just take off the vacuum hoses and reroute them so they don't connect to the secondary. You can try to remove it all together, but pretty sure that it might throw a CEL.

Doesn't hurt to try. Just have to disconnect the battery and press the door switch a couple times and reconnect, if you see a CEL.
In my case, I was going over 27 psi and pig rich when mine went.

Glad I had E85!! :D

·
Registered
715 Posts
The tune is made so that you don't make full boost before 3k rpm. You really don't want to make a ton of boost before the engine is spinning faster. That will lead to high stress on the rods.

·
With teeth.
1,138 Posts
Hey guys, I'm a bit confused at what is going on. Does someone mind summarizing the two problems I'm reading here?

1. CMD clamp not set properly causing boost surge and CEL then low boost

2. Factory boost controller failing at high boost, causing boost surge/sporadic boost and remedied by an aftermarket EBC?

Is the factory boost controller not sufficient for 20psi down low?

·
Premium Member
15,356 Posts
EBCS failing because of the tune having it over worked.

Failing symptoms:
overboosting, or boost creep; Unable to get into boost higher than like 12 psi (my case)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts