Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Doing my 2nd LS swap and figured I would document the progress and help the community at the same time for those who might choose to go down the same road. All OEM functionality is retained, including tach, temp etc. I'm midway through the swap, so I'll update as I go along.

**Disclaimer** I realize that this is not for everyone and not everyone is receptive to an LS swap. So if you feel butthurt, please move along and refrain from crapping up the thread.

Alright, with that out of the way....here we go. I will be using the Enjuku swap kit and headers, forged bottom end, ported heads and an LSA blower.

The patient

The donor. A 2007 LQ4 w/ 300k miles :grin: After selling the parts from it that I didn't need it was free.

A little filthy....actually it was a little more than filthy.

Stripped down and filthy

A little cleaner

For a 300k mile engine it was surprisingly clean on the inside. I imagine since it was a work van they probably kept up on the maintenance to some degree.

Block tore down and ready for the machine shop.

Time for engine to come out of the gencoupe. 29k miles on the clock.

aaaaand it's out

Gaping hole >:D

Sold the engine. Palleted and ready to be picked up

to be continued once mod approves thread.......

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
moving on.....

Truck harness blue/green deloomed or is it unloomed?

Keeper pile that will be made into a usable harness

Extra wires that will be discarded. Lot of extra stuff for 4WD and automatic transmission and other random stuff

Gencoupe harness waiting to be taken apart

All looming and tape removed. I will depin and remove all engine related wires with the exception of coolant temp and crank position sensor.

Lesson learned from previous swap...easier to depin leaving the body harness in place and reloom when done.

Enjuku swap kit showed up, headers and all

Pistons and rods also showed up....forgot to take pictures of the rods but I went with 6.125" Callies H-Beams

Another pile of parts......I need them gone lol...I have stuff all over the place.

got the block back from machine shop...skipped a few steps but reassembly is not that interesting anyway. Bored 0.030 over, decked, line honed, opened oil passages up for additional oil flow etc etc. Compression should be right around 9.8:1 using LS9 gasket 0.051 thickness.

Block cleaned up real nice

As of today I'm waiting the heads and cam to show up and then on to actually start wiring some stuff and getting the transmission and engine into place.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Can't wait to see that beast and especially those headers in that gaping hole:grin:

Reactions: mille_3

·
I'm really Asian
723 Posts
nice. how are you getting all the factory stuff to still work? I'm no wiring genius at all, so how hard is it to convert the harness?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nice. how are you getting all the factory stuff to still work? I'm no wiring genius at all, so how hard is it to convert the harness?
Wiring looks overwhelming, but it's pretty simple if you can read an electrical diagram. I eliminate all the engine related wires and keep the rest.

The tach is run off a trigger wheel mounted to the balancer.....although this time around I might try to fit one in a similar location to the genesis in the transmission housing. The temp gauge is mounted in the opposite head. This will require running both the genesis ECU and the GM ECU.

·
shorttrack
1,660 Posts
FN OUTSTANDING job sir ,outstanding !!!!! .That's what I'm talking about , out of the box thinking and the execution of whatever it takes to get sh!t done . Shorttrack USMC . I like it !!.

Reactions: mille_3

·
Registered
184 Posts
Awesome build and great thread. How do you plan to tune it?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Haven't gotten a whole lot done with the holidays and an unexpected surgery that I'm recovering from, but engine mounts are installed and heads are back from cnc porting with new stainless intake and exhaust valves along with dual springs good for .660" lift

Hoping to have the engine put back together in the next couple of weeks and start routing the wiring.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm also pulling up a chair to see this girl come to life. Thanks for sharing a quality build with tons of information now and to come. Good luck with everything and God speed with your recovery.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks I appreciate the kind words. I'll update my first post once she's running with a parts list and wiring diagrams and such to help others achieve the same thing, should they choose to.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Subbed. I honestly had no idea that Chevy vans used LS engines lol.

Reactions: Jttwin1

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
progressing slowly. Still trying to source a blower for a decent price, so doing what I can in the meantime.

Cam showed up

So the newer iron blocks don't have a provision for the chain tensioner, but trickflow has a neat solution

ARP hardware

Block assembled

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks. Getting closer and once I have the blower I can start wiring. I have the genesis harness ready to go, just need a few more pieces on the GM side to finish routing wires. It's all downhill from there though.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Looks very interesting..... Subbd

TJ

·
2013 Gen Coupe Track 6sp
436 Posts
Man I have always wanted to do this since I bought the gencoupe. Couple questions. First where did you post your engine for sale, Craigslist? Second are you going to have hood clearance for a blower? And third did you ever think about an Ecoboost 3.5l engine (There are alot out there)?

·
Registered
23 Posts
AHHH!! This is just what I needed. That wiring does look like hell. Not sure how I feel about taking that on. Subbed! Looking to start my own LS project within the year. Probably next winter. I did just find a van with an old LS in it for $350.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts