Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Man I have always wanted to do this since I bought the gencoupe. Couple questions. First where did you post your engine for sale, Craigslist? Second are you going to have hood clearance for a blower? And third did you ever think about an Ecoboost 3.5l engine (There are alot out there)?
I sold the engine on one of the Facebook groups. Still have the 6spd transmission I'm trying to sell.

An ecoboost has never crossed my mind for the simple reason that an LS is easy to build lots of power for little money plus there is a tremendous aftermarket support available for the platform.

Hood clearance will be an issue for the stock hood, but I've got a solution for that too :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
AHHH!! This is just what I needed. That wiring does look like hell. Not sure how I feel about taking that on. Subbed! Looking to start my own LS project within the year. Probably next winter. I did just find a van with an old LS in it for $350.
Wiring is really easy if you just slow down and worry about one wire at a time. I do agree that it does look like a mess while in progress. First time out you'll end up spending time just trying to figure out how to take the connectors apart.

LS swaps are fun and power is easy to make. My biggest concern is going to be the rear end. This combo should be somewhere in the 600-650 rwhp range....best part is that it will be reliable power.

·
Registered
444 Posts
this looks fantastic
keep the details coming

I'm most interested in how you'll do the wiring for the oem gauges and making the hvac work

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I am not part of the FB group. Didn't know one exisited, but then again I guess I didn't really look that hard. What's the name of the group?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
this looks fantastic
keep the details coming

I'm most interested in how you'll do the wiring for the oem gauges and making the hvac work
The gauges will run off the Theta ECU using the CPS (Crank Position Sensor) and Temp sensor from the genesis, the HVAC stays the same nothing much to change there outside of sending an "on" signal to the GM compressor.

·
Registered
98 Posts
The gauges will run off the Theta ECU using the CPS (Crank Position Sensor) and Temp sensor from the genesis, the HVAC stays the same nothing much to change there outside of sending an "on" signal to the GM compressor.
Hey bro, how is the build coming along?

·
n00b
283 Posts
This is great! Subbed for future updates.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Hey bro, how is the build coming along?
Been slow going waiting to get my hands on a supercharger....but finally found one.

along with a monster clutch and a magnum T56. Got a great deal on the combo with only 1k miles on it.

Pretty nice shifter plate that comes with the swap kit.....

....a bit of trouble though. The shifter plate was made to fit an F-Body T56 and not the magnum. No big deal but another thing to slow me down while I make a new plate.

more to come.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
baby steps...life gets in the way so I get to work on the car when I have a few extra hours.

adapter plates for the supercharger showed up

replacing the coupler and figured I'd snap a picture of how to remove the snout. I see a lot of people asking how to get it off, so here's where I pry

Just like everyone else, this coupler is trash and has left it's mark.

New coupler in place

While waiting for the machine shop to fab up a new shifter plate, I took the opportunity to upgrade the trunions

Read all over the place how you had to have a press and a bunch of fancy tools. A good ol' c clamp did the trick to press in the new bearings

Flywheel on

monster clutch

all mounted up

transmission mated to the block. I didn't have any dowel pins, so had to make some out of some 5/8 bolts I had laying around. Transmission was bitch to mate up but got it done

.....And it's finally HOME!

test fitting the headers. There is soooo much room it's crazy compared to how tight everything was with the old 2.0T.

Will have to relocate these 2 grounds. A little too close

not everything went smooth though. Machine shop shorted me 1.4" on the shifter plate. Instructions to place the shifter at 36.4" from the bellhousing somehow turned into 35". I'm not taking the engine back out, it was a complete nightmare to get in there to begin with so I'll cut a relief instead. It actually positions the shifter perfectly once the boot is on, so maybe a silver lining after all

Will have to cut up the hood to clear this bad boy.

Next up is wiring things up. I should be able to house everything in the Genesis fusebox to keep things clean and in the same place. Still have to find a good spot to mount the ECU out of sight.

·
I'm broke lol
86 Posts
:gc-drool1::gc-drool1:

·
3point8 Performance
2,628 Posts
Sub. Very nice build. I do miss the ease of the chevy motors. Even the odd-ball chevy motors had great aftermarket support.

Reactions: mille_3
21 - 40 of 71 Posts