Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 167 Posts

·
Parts Pro & Lic Mechanic
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

I just picked up my 2013 Rspec on Thursday and finally got around to replacing the brake pads with EBC red-stuff pads. While I had the wheels off I tried a set of 17" rims I had from an old project mustang which never got off the ground.

These are OEM from a 2001 mustang GT, they are 17x8 rims with a 25mm offset, these are the rims are plenty avaliable because they are normally sold off cheap because they are not desirable by the mustang guys.

They fit like a glove with approx 3/16 - 1/4 inch of clearance from the caliper, 1/2 from the spokes, and almost an inch from the strut.

Now a hub centric ring will be required as the ford hub is slightly larger than our hyundais but those are cheap aswell

Let me figure out how to post the pics....got it

Duro

·
GCMafia
3,442 Posts

·
U wot M8
1,908 Posts
wow i have been looking for a thread like this forever! Thank you for posting this test fit!!! more than you know!

·
Parts Pro & Lic Mechanic
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The only thing required for these rims to be perfect is a hub centric ring to go from our hub spec to the factory mustang hub spec. The rim was torqued on the hub in those pictures to ensure proper fitment. Now obviously hammer on outside wheel weights are a must.

As the rim was turned the clearance never changed and remained constant. Being an OEM rim it will not deflect under NORMAL driving conditions and be able to handle the torque, as they were designed to handle V8 torque and therefor will have no problem with caliper clearance.

Now if you hit a curb......yes it will hit your caliper. Besides I have seem factory steel wheels come closer to the caliper, and have never had a problem.

I choose these rims mainly because I already had a set, but more importantly they are easy to get a hold of and are normal sold off "cheap" by the mustang crowd because they were not the best looking rim available. I plan on using mine for winter rims allowing me to decrease my rim size as much as possible, and increasing my sidewall, and also increase my total track width by 20mm for additional stability in the winter.

They would make excellent drag radials, or even track rims because the offset is 25mm, which will push the tires out slightly for stability.

These are the rims your looking for......

Just my 2 cents
Duro

·
ABC with a GC
868 Posts
Now if you hit a curb......yes it will hit your caliper. Besides I have seem factory steel wheels come closer to the caliper, and have never had a problem.
Let us know how that works out for you lol. a bit scary since where i live pot holes are plentiful.

·
Parts Pro & Lic Mechanic
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Let us know how that works out for you lol. a bit scary since where i live pot holes are plentiful.
We have lots of potholes here, and being they are OEM rims you have to hit a pretty severe pothole at a substantial speed to bend the rims enough to hit the caliper. I have seen bmw's with closer rims.......

I plan on using them as winter rims for the vehicle, there won't be any problems.

Duro

·
Parts Pro & Lic Mechanic
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What about tire size and setting off the TPMS? Also will they confuse the traction control?
No TPMS in Canada.....

225/50R17 - Front
225/55R17 - Rear

This maintains stock height, and staggered size just like OEM......Just thinner tire for the winter, and allowing to drop down to 17" rims to increase sidewall, and winter grip.....AND price. 17" winters are much cheaper than 18" winters.

Duro

·
Registered
129 Posts
You're the man!

Just what I was waiting for. Brembos are going on soon, ill have the summer to get a set of these cheap. They will work great with the ipikes I already have on steelies.

Thanks for the research. Saved me a huge headache. Def not getting 18" snows.

And for anyone swapping Brembos, a local salvage yard should have the oem 18 spare for about 150.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Parts Pro & Lic Mechanic
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh yeah, can you give me a part number on those pads? I'm having a bitch of a time finding them!
EBC Redstuff pads...
Front - DP31210c
Rear - DP31140c

I had to grind the rear pads little on the sides of the backing plate, maybe a 1/16th off each side no big deal then they fit like a glove, they were just a little long for the calipers.

Just be warned they will squeal for 1500km, I am at 1300km and I still have a very slight squeal but it's getting better.

Duro

·
Parts Pro & Lic Mechanic
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I only put 150km on the OEM pads, however just based on that the EBC redstuff pads are night and day difference.

I actually have Brembo brakes now......

The OEM pads are shaved a minimum of 40% to reduce noise and vibration, but you also loose the feeling, stopping distance, and they fade quickly. The EBC or any other aftermarket pad are a full size pad and able to handle more.

Duro

·
Parts Pro & Lic Mechanic
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Break Necks - Kill Egos
673 Posts
I ran that same size tire for a Calgary winter and had no issues. I don't have the BBK though.

1 - 20 of 167 Posts