Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Advenio Pariter
3,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed by winter tires today. Down here in the States the cold weather comes a bit later than up in the Great White North. I bought the Momo winter rims and Yokohama IG20's from DTD. It would seem that winter tire selection can take on almost religious fervor on this forum. The customer reviews were good so I am sure they will be just fine. This is a square setup and I went narrower for more bite in the snow. I am running 215/55 R17. The fit is good and they ride smooth and quiet. These should be fine this season. I have seen some complaints about the traction control in the winter. If it barks too much I will turn it off. I have driven safely for 36 years without it. Here is a pic with 17" Momo rims.

·
Premium Member
14,842 Posts
I have artic altimax on my 17" winter wheels.

only studded tires that I could find that would fit (no studs for 18s, unless you go truck tires)

they really do bite noticable more at 25*F and lower. I dare say... more than blizzaks.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Thanks for detailing, makes sense. Yep, MFRs spec more narrow width for snow, as shocking or counter-intuitive it may seem to some.

·
Advenio Pariter
3,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
P = F/A. F is the weight of the car. A is the contact patch. Higher P means more bite in snow / ice. These tires feel pretty good, but I was passing a "poke" on an on-ramp on the way home and my back end wiggled just slightly when Genny shifted prompting a little ESC action.

·
Registered
948 Posts
P = F/A. F is the weight of the car. A is the contact patch. Higher P means more bite in snow / ice. These tires feel pretty good, but I was passing a "poke" on an on-ramp on the way home and my back end wiggled just slightly when Genny shifted prompting a little ESC action.
Can't argue with math! As you point out, morre capes in the snow, but less in the dry as you just experienced.

·
Advenio Pariter
3,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cold last weekend but warm today. I guess it is all in the jet stream. I used to live up in Syracuse and we would have snow by mid November. Enjoy your good weather up there. The Farmer's Almanac has our area warmer and wetter this year. That can translate to bouts of wet snow followed by melting. I have like four concerts in January and February plus rehearsals, so I will be doing a lot of driving in addition to commuting to work...needed to support my music.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I have artic altimax on my 17" winter wheels.

only studded tires that I could find that would fit (no studs for 18s, unless you go truck tires)

they really do bite noticable more at 25*F and lower. I dare say... more than blizzaks.
"altimax artic alpin" those are made for or by continental tire, in germany, if I am not mistaken. I do know for sure they received good automotive press ratings up here and have a reputation for being great value as well, the parking lot where I work is filled with them. (mostly without studs)

I wanted Hakka 7's but I couldn't get the sizes I wanted with studs, so I went with studded hankook ws-409's instead Were they not available too? 225/55R17 in the back and 225/50R17 in the front, on "universal" steelies. The offset is AWFUL, the wheels are tucked inwards and the tires are somewhat squished on 6.5 width steelies... But it works and no TCS issues.

I picked up a set of used 17X7.5 with 35 offset which should have the front tires sitting exactly where the stock ones did, and the rears a few MM more inwards which should be easy to remedy with spacers. I am looking forward to installing those after the holidays.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts