Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm brand new to the gen coupes, so please be nice. I'm actually a 3000gt vr4 guy that works with a very very reputable turbo guy that rebuilds and upgrades mhi turbos. I was wondering if anyone has good numbers w/ a dyno or something on a 19t upgrade? (if anyone has run them) If not, is anyone down to try one out? I just found out that the gen coupe (which I hope to get very soon) has our td04 mhi turbo spooling on these fun cars. I've been doing 15g and 19t turbo upgrades for my fellow 3si members for a while now. I know someone w/ twin 19t vr4 pushing 625 awhp! Any additional input would be greatly appreciated!!

please shoot me a pm w/ any feedback as well.

-Tim

·
Registered
511 Posts
Hello, I'm brand new to the gen coupes, so please be nice. I'm actually a 3000gt vr4 guy that works with a very very reputable turbo guy that rebuilds and upgrades mhi turbos. I was wondering if anyone has good numbers w/ a dyno or something on a 19t upgrade? (if anyone has run them) If not, is anyone down to try one out? I just found out that the gen coupe (which I hope to get very soon) has our td04 mhi turbo spooling on these fun cars. I've been doing 15g and 19t turbo upgrades for my fellow 3si members for a while now. I know someone w/ twin 19t vr4 pushing 625 awhp! Any additional input would be greatly appreciated!!

please shoot me a pm w/ any feedback as well.

-Tim
Yes I believe there is already some GC's running around with a td04-19t. It requires tuning and bigger injectors. I believe Beyond Redline is running a bit bigger than a 19t (normal 19t is 56mm, BR is using a Billet 65mm HTA wheel) they have managed to get about 300whp safely, so a 19t should be around 260-280 mark safely.

References:
http://www.gencoupe.com/beyond-redline-performance/43206-project-phoenix-chronicles-definitive-guide-modifying-your-2-0t-gencoupe.html
http://www.gencoupe.com/2-0t/30043-beyond-redline-presents-project-phoenix-build-up.html

God I hate searching sometimes... I've read most of it, but finding the right words / source of the thread that originally created it is sometimes annoying when you need to track down info

·
Premium Member
15,369 Posts
I've done a 19T mod.

involves having the core machined, and having a matching compressor housing.

BR's upgrade uses a custom wheel. I think they also use a different turbine wheel, but not too sure on that one.

Stock you hit 0 manifold pressure at 2k RPM, I was hitting +4 psi at 2k. Gives you an idea of spool.

Had a guy in a 3.8 try to pull on me, on a 40 mph roll. 3 car lengths. No dyno sheets, because someone blew up the dyno at the shop. Then my engine blew (combo of things). bought a new one and still breaking it in >.<

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
What br does

what is included in this turbo remanufacturing?

Beyond Redline has teamed up with legendary turbocharging expert Robert Young at Forced Performance to bring you the best bolt on turbo upgrade for your Genesis Coupe 2.0T. We didn't even think of messing around with the archaically old 19t wheel that has been used since dinosaurs roamed the earth. No sir, we went with the newest, latest, and greatest turbo technology available today. When you send in your re-usable turbo core you will be getting back a completely remanufactred turbocharger with all new bearings, seals, etc. The tiny factory compressor wheel is replaced with a revolutionary Billet 65mm HTA wheel (A Forced Performance exclusive) capable of flowing over 300 whp of air and providing stock like spool characteristics and recovery between shifts. The end result is a turbo that makes smooth power throughout the entire RPM range and hold boost to a 7200rpm redline.

·
3.5L TT but wrong body
12,003 Posts
Yes I believe there is already some GC's running around with a td04-19t. It requires tuning and bigger injectors. I believe Beyond Redline is running a bit bigger than a 19t (normal 19t is 56mm, BR is using a Billet 65mm HTA wheel) they have managed to get about 300whp safely, so a 19t should be around 260-280 mark safely.

References:
http://www.gencoupe.com/beyond-redline-performance/43206-project-phoenix-chronicles-definitive-guide-modifying-your-2-0t-gencoupe.html
http://www.gencoupe.com/2-0t/30043-beyond-redline-presents-project-phoenix-build-up.html

God I hate searching sometimes... I've read most of it, but finding the right words / source of the thread that originally created it is sometimes annoying when you need to track down info
This

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the quick response~!!

Yea, i've been a member on 3si forums for a while now, and the 15g wheels are pretty old (but proven technology) as well as the superback 19ts. Our flow charts saw 405 cfm for the 15gs per turbo and I think about 460+ cfm? on our 19t wheels. I don't know...I'd be really interested get one done on a genesis to find out for myself! The turbine diameter seems comparable to our tiny 9b td04 turbos... I also noticed great priced bolt ons everywhere ranging around 1200-1700...but that's for a single turbo! hehe, i've been getting twin 19t upgrades done for $850 w/ good cores and our track record is amazing! I'm not sure if I want to delve into a new project, but I wouldn't imagine it to be too different...It's all basically the same thing..basic tune includes, larger turbos, injectors, fuel pump, and afc.

Honestly, I'd be very happy w/ a 2.0t pushing 300 whp!! I think this will be my goal for now. plus, I can get 19t upgrades for 425 bucks by turbo bob at "turbo-performance" who lives 15 minutes from me (only because I do business with him.) = ) thanks for the references. I will gladly start doing a lil bit more research on these cars! (I love how they are priced)

I'm all about cost effective, affordable, but most definitely reliable ways to upgrade!

-Tim

·
3.5L TT but wrong body
12,003 Posts
...Honestly, I'd be very happy w/ a 2.0t pushing 300 whp!! I think this will be my goal for now. .-Tim
300whp 2.0T is a blast for sure. No problem handling 350Z/370Z/G37's/3.8s, unless they're boosted or on laughing gas :) Especially with the awesome low end torque the smaller turbos provide, as long as you get some stickier tires and a new clutch to go with it.

·
Registered
711 Posts
found this on ebay..

Hyundai Genesis coupe Upgrade Turbo Cartridge CHRA TD04HL-19T

·
Premium Member
15,369 Posts
I'm pretty sure that it won't fit onto the stock genesis turbine housing.

The TD04HL turbine wheel reaches further because of the core than the TD04L core.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea, I've seen those before... I wonder if they are reliable. It will involve machining the turbo exhaust housing and the compressor housing, so it won't fit... it's just cheaper to do the rebuild/upgrade through Bob w/ all his MHI parts. It's legit. I can get them done for 400 bucks for anyone else who is interested actually... just shoot me a pm if so. His 15gs usually last minimum 50,000 miles which is great for a rebuilt 3000gt turbo, which has seen a lot of miles... Bob might even hook the first upgrade up w/ an unbelievable price to put down his reputation here..but we'll see... Also, the GC's turbos should have a lot less miles, so they should last longer!

But, seriously..thanks for all the quick responses! I'm glad I joined this forum, everyone is so helpful and very friendly! haha, we have some grouchy ass (veteran) members on the 3s forums. lol.

-Tim

·
^not very creative.
2,383 Posts
3000gt vr4's are my favorite cars. I used to have a 95 sl but always wanted a vr4. Still hoping to get one later...

anyways, can't wait to see how this goes. i'm still not sure if I want to get a whole new turbo or just stick with the stock and see how it can be re-manu'd.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Yea, I've seen those before... I wonder if they are reliable. It will involve machining the turbo exhaust housing and the compressor housing, so it won't fit... it's just cheaper to do the rebuild/upgrade through Bob w/ all his MHI parts. It's legit. I can get them done for 400 bucks for anyone else who is interested actually... just shoot me a pm if so. His 15gs usually last minimum 50,000 miles which is great for a rebuilt 3000gt turbo, which has seen a lot of miles... Bob might even hook the first upgrade up w/ an unbelievable price to put down his reputation here..but we'll see... Also, the GC's turbos should have a lot less miles, so they should last longer!

But, seriously..thanks for all the quick responses! I'm glad I joined this forum, everyone is so helpful and very friendly! haha, we have some grouchy ass (veteran) members on the 3s forums. lol.

-Tim
um... interested!!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
wow, good to see that people are interested in this! Yea, i've been building up a good rep w/ turbo bob's turbos. He's popular in the volvo and 3000gt forums. I have 3 3000gts...lol. I'm going to sell two of them a pick up a gen coupe. = ]
Didn't think there would be interest...just fyi, turbo bob has over 30 years experience, owned turbo performance for 28+ years and does all the upgrades himself! = ]

If this picks up after hooking a few of you guys up, maybe i'll be able to get involved in this forum more...

if you want to hit up 3si.org you can find me there w/ the same name (timp3kgt)

here are some pix of bob's 19t turbo upgrades for our vr4s. (same mhi tdo4 turbo)

who's down? i'm down to get the ball rolling! = ]
anyone have a stock core for cheap they want to sell me
or just want to upgrade for themself? lmk.

shoot me a pm and i'll give you my contact number, i'd like to
get more information on these cars, too! like..what the most popular
fuel controllers are, injectors, etc...

-Tim

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
how should I set this up? lol, last time I posted in the classified section the other paying vendors booted me because they thought i was a competitor w/ a business. I was honestly just trying to do favors and make a few bucks on the side.. (not very much, obviously). but If you want me to make a list of 3 people or something w/ a promo price, I could definitely try to set something up. How do you guys want me to do it?

·
Registered
776 Posts
well because of the forum rules we may have to keep the transaction off the forums since you are not a paying vendor.

But yeah I'm definitely intrested so if you can get a solid $$ number please let me know

·
Premium Member
1,901 Posts
I have a 2 spare cores, how much are we talking about for the first guy to do this with Bob?

·
Premium Member
76,154 Posts
We appreciate the interest and any new mods for this car is great! Due to forum rules please keep all pricing or links out of this thread. We would like it if you became a vendor but if that isnt an option please keep pricing via pms.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the heads up, I haven't priced these to anyone yet. Also, I'm not into commercial sales. However, I might consider doing a temporary website just to get a public list of those who sign up so I can be kept accountable or unless we can make a list of 3 people or something, keeping pricing and stuff strictly confidential... I want to make sure I do some things in the public eye, so I might build trust and a reputation. If there is considerable interest, I would love to consider asking what becoming a vendor requires. Thanks!!

-Tim

1 - 20 of 85 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.