Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 rspec with 7k miles. Normal driving trans shifts perfect maybe a little notchy when cold but other than that shifts great. 1st to 2nd revving to 5-6k quick shift always gives me a grind. 2-6 shifting fast as hell at like 5-6k no problems which tells me it's not my shifting... Any ideas?? Only way 2nd does not grind at high rpm is if I shift slower. Any one else have this issue with the 2013 6MT? I searched and saw similar problems but wanted to get some feedback

Thanks

·
xFa
446 Posts
my uncle has an 2013 rspec, his problems are only in the first two gears i believe. ive read so many of these transmission problem threads, im sure that there are others that are only in 2nd aswell.

·
FS section ravager
2,183 Posts
I haven't heard of a 1-2 grind on a 13 yet.

Take it to the dealer, synchros is dead.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The dealer is gonna tell me the trans if fine because it shifts perfect when driving normal only grinds when shifting fast close to 5-6k rpm... Maybe my shifting is quicker than my foot lol. But I get 2-6 perfect all the time. I don't really drive it hard only once in a while so I don't get it...

·
Registered
293 Posts
I haven't heard of a 1-2 grind on a 13 yet.

Take it to the dealer, synchros is dead.
Synchro is fine, the grinding some get on a new model, manual trans is a known issue some get it 1-2 gear some get it going to 6th etc and was posted as far back as June of 2012. If you did a search this is posted. After putting a 2k miles on it it has gone away, again just like many others have posted. Some have even gone and changed fluids for tranny and it went away.

A synchro going out is a totally different feeling than what i experienced.

Cheers!

·
1stgengen
4,544 Posts
Quick shifting 1-2 has always an issue for me. Doesn't matter what fluid. It even locks me out on occasion. So I get all pissed off and smash it into gear all hulk rage like which doesn't help anything.

Tips. Avoid trying to shift into second when your wheels are spinning. Keep calm on the throttle and shift early then pour on the juice in second. Also, invest in a tranny mount.

Just remember, don't hurry the shift, let everything catch up, then shift. Make sure your clutch foot is right to the floor. We can get onto the habit of not fully depressing the clutch pedal, which isn't a bad thing per say, it's just that in this case we need to give it all the help it can get.

·
1stgengen
4,544 Posts
You know, transmission mount. Megan Racing makes one that has been getting great reviews. Good luck finding one though lol.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So would changing tranny fluid help?? What fluid is the best? Now that you mention it byby cavalier I always shift fast as **** while first is spinning and that's when it grinds a little. If I slow down a bit and press clutch then shift it's good..

·
Timbit Biter
1,775 Posts
I would have the dealer look at it before changing fluids. Once fluids are changed, your dealer may say that the fluid change caused the problem.

·
FS section ravager
2,183 Posts
Synchro is fine, the grinding some get on a new model, manual trans is a known issue some get it 1-2 gear some get it going to 6th etc and was posted as far back as June of 2012. If you did a search this is posted. After putting a 2k miles on it it has gone away, again just like many others have posted. Some have even gone and changed fluids for tranny and it went away.

A synchro going out is a totally different feeling than what i experienced.

Cheers!
I had my trans replaced from a 6th gear grind, hyundai agreed.

If it grinds, your synchros are trashed at that point.

The dealer is gonna tell me the trans if fine because it shifts perfect when driving normal only grinds when shifting fast close to 5-6k rpm... Maybe my shifting is quicker than my foot lol. But I get 2-6 perfect all the time. I don't really drive it hard only once in a while so I don't get it...
No they won't, the trans is designed to be able to shift anywhere in its rev range. If the dealer tells you that its normal, then find a new dealer.

Try this;
Put the car in N
hold the clutch
Rev to 5-6K
move shifter to 2
If grind happens, bad synchros, get new trans
else no grind, slow foot/hand.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I had my trans replaced from a 6th gear grind, hyundai agreed.

If it grinds, your synchros are trashed at that point.
Great glad they fixed your issue and decided it was the issue in your case.

What i experienced was not a synchro issue at all. The issue many of the cars are having is linkage and clutch related not synchros, again read the actual posts don't interpret your issue onto others.

Manual transmission shifting problems can be caused by the following problems:
1. Clutch needs adjusting. Usual problems are Grinding gears, unable to put into 1st gear, troubles getting out of gear, or clutch slipping.

2. Broken motor mounts. Engine/transmission moves, which messes up the shift linkage.

3. Shift linkage has worn out bushings.

4. Shifter pivot bushings broken. Test by grabbing the shift knob and try to pull up. If it moves up, then it is probably broken.

In my case and slight adjustment and some time driving the car has resolved the issue, no more grind, So no it isn't a synchro issue.

So your dealer pulled the transmission and verified it was the dog teeth causing the issue? That the cone was not engaging???

If the teeth, make contact with the gear, but the two parts are spinning at different speeds, the teeth will fail to engage and a loud grinding sound will be heard as they clatter together. For this reason, a modern dog clutch in an automobile has a synchronizer mechanism or synchromesh, which consists of a cone clutch and blocking ring. Before the teeth can engage, the cone clutch engages first, which brings the selector and gear to the same speed using friction. Moreover, until synchronization occurs, the teeth are prevented from making contact, because further motion of the selector is prevented by a blocker ring. When synchronization occurs, friction on the blocker ring is relieved and it twists slightly, bringing into alignment certain grooves and notches that allow further passage of the selector which brings the teeth together.
The synchronizer has to overcome the momentum of the entire input shaft and clutch disk when it is changing shaft rpm to match the new gear ratio. It can be abused by exposure to the momentum and power of the engine itself, which is what happens when attempts are made to select a gear without fully disengaging the clutch. This causes extra wear on the rings and sleeves, reducing their service life. This is also why we see new cars getting trashed synchros so early as they didn't allow proper break in or adjustments to be made. Hyundai's MT is a work in progress, it isn't smooth or refined like other manufacturer's.

cheers!

·
1stgengen
4,544 Posts
muffler bearings?

nah for reals, if it was the mount, the transmission would literally jump and knock.
I'm not saying the mount is broken, I'm saying the OEM one is a soft POS, just like the engine mounts. People who have installed one have reported better shift engagement, that's all I'm saying.

·
Hammer lane Hero
5,712 Posts
I'm not saying the mount is broken, I'm saying the OEM one is a soft POS, just like the engine mounts. People who have installed one have reported better shift engagement, that's all I'm saying.
Bingo. Install a transmission mount and some new shifter bushings and it'll change your world. It's next on my list of mods.

sent from my not-so-smartphone

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Bingo. Install a transmission mount and some new shifter bushings and it'll change your world. It's next on my list of mods.

I can't imagine that helps any with the vibrating messes these cars become once the flywheel is replaced.

·
Hammer lane Hero
5,712 Posts
I can't imagine that helps any with the vibrating messes these cars become once the flywheel is replaced.
Gotta choose your battles son. Changing the idle values helps.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I get this all the time. The synchros cant catch if you shift way to fast(this is what the dealer told me) complete BS.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts