Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a blast at my first track event at MSR here in Texas.

First off, my wheel setup is 245/275 both in 35s.

I was having issues on a couple turns with TC on, one being a hairpin turn going uphill and another long winding turn where you feel some g's as you need to step on the throttle on exit.

Both of these turns, even after shifting down to 2nd gear and mashing the pedal, my car would go through this slight hesitation for about 2-3 seconds where the instructor thought I had put it in the wrong gear (I was not). The lag wasn't nearly as much as the whiplash effect when the TC catches on the OEM wheel setup.

After turning off the TC, it got ALOT better and smoother on acceleration. It REALLY opened up the car on those turns so............

What gives? Is it the TC? Anyone else experience this?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Had a blast at my first track event at MSR here in Texas.

First off, my wheel setup is 245/275 both in 35s.

I was having issues on a couple turns with TC on, one being a hairpin turn going uphill and another long winding turn where you feel some g's as you need to step on the throttle on exit.

Both of these turns, even after shifting down to 2nd gear and mashing the pedal, my car would go through this slight hesitation for about 2-3 seconds where the instructor thought I had put it in the wrong gear (I was not). The lag wasn't nearly as much as the whiplash effect when the TC catches on the OEM wheel setup.

After turning off the TC, it got ALOT better and smoother on acceleration. It REALLY opened up the car on those turns so............

What gives? Is it the TC? Anyone else experience this?
Whoa.

I had my first track day a couple weeks ago and had the exact same problem. Throttle on exit, minimal boost, not a lot of power at all, and then 2-3 seconds later I would get a surge of boost and the power I was looking for. We couldn't figure it out, and I brought the car in to Hyundai to check for any turbo issues/leaks and they found nothing. It's good to know I wasn't the only one with this behavior. My instructor wanted me to keep the SC/TC on because it was my first time on that track, but reading up on it it sounds like it was the culprit.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep same exact issue. I'm on a 3.8 BTW. No engine mods or bolts ons.

One question, what wheel setup do you have? Considering my overall wheel diameter is different now (don't remember the exact dimensions), I believe the TC system will act a little different now. As long as the front and the back wheels aren't too far apart, you shouldn't have any issue such as, getting whiplash lets saying driving through a school zone...

But, I'm not fully convinced. On the OEM setup, it is such a harsh cut off. My new setup, it's more of a lag. I would suppose it should give me the same harshness?

I have heard that the air intake could have something to do with it. My two buddies with 3.8s and the R2C intake did not have this issue.

But it being my final session of the day, I was allowed to turn TC off and it was a night and day difference...........

<confused>

·
Korean Asswhoopin
1,228 Posts
So if it's on exit of a corner the acceleration sensors/ESC are probably limiting the throttle opening. You're on the track, turn TC off lol

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So if it's on exit of a corner the acceleration sensors/ESC are probably limiting the throttle opening. You're on the track, turn TC off lol
For sure. I was hoping to find a more technical explanation, not just 'it's the TC'.

Being my 2nd go around in intermediate next time, I will for sure have that **** off :smile:

·
Registered
52 Posts
GEN$REALZ, I track my car about 6 times a year. Same tire setup 245-F and 275-R both 35 series. I have a 15 RSpec, and the R2C intake. My advice is it's definitely the TC/SC kicking in. It may sound to easy, and I am not a scientist to give you an over the top explanation. If your car is in perfect mechanical shape this should resolve your issue, turn that Sh#@ off and have a great time. Also, a little background. I am over 40 and have been racing for a long time. With my TC/SC off, this car moves on the track. It also, has a tune from BTR(full bolt ons) and put down 315 to the wheels. on BTR's dyno.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts