Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 239 Posts

·
This guy
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's my first car, and as a High School student, I drive mainly from my home to school and ocassionally out and about with friends. I have already 1.2k miles on the car, and I've had it since Christmas. It's a 2011 Auto 2.0T (my baby). However, I am getting roughly 15.4MPG--and that's with MY calculations. The trip computer states I get 15.2MPG. I don't understand why the mileage is so bad. I don't (usually) have a lead foot, and I even use cruise control when possible. Any tips? I've done some searching on the forums, and couldn't find anything directly related. Thanks guys, appreciate any help. :D

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Not really anything you can do. Sort of hilarious that the 2011s still get **** mileage though. I was wondering if them putting the 3.9 back end on them would make any difference and it doesn't look like it does.

You can try putting an intake on but it won't really do much other than add an extra mpg or two. You'll hardly notice. I find my mileage maximizes if I keep the auto running under 3,000 RPM but that's pretty hard to do and not fun at all. Other than that, your best bet is to bitch to your dealership/Hyundai, try to sue Hyundai, or deal with it. Sorry dude.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Just FYI, I average about 20 MPG in the winter with most of my commute to work being highway. In the summer that edges up to 22-23 MPG. On long range trips I'll hit anywhere from 26-28 MPG, but I've never been able to hit 30 mpg (the sticker quote) no matter what length of trip. The auto loses MPG pretty quick past about 65 mph cruising...

Your 15.x mpg is pretty low, IMO. I think it's kind of abnormal. Just my opinion.

·
3.5L TT but wrong body
12,003 Posts
Youre not alone. Seems just about everyes 20t 5at gets piss poor mpg. 15ish seems lower than most though. My wife averages right around 19 with a decent bit of highway thrown in.

·
Round 3
929 Posts
Youre not alone. Seems just about everyes 20t 5at gets piss poor mpg. 15ish seems lower than most though. My wife averages right around 19 with a decent bit of highway thrown in.
Yea I get 18.7 combined, oh well, it is a sports car.

Just tell mommy and daddy to get you a gas card. :D

·
Registered
544 Posts
There are a few threads just for the 2.0 A/T fuel mileage discussions.

Check out this Engine/2.0T section or do a search. Not everyone seems to have the problem as bad. From what I had read there must be some issues that haven't been tracked down yet to cause such a discrepancy. And I do mean with just the A/T.

·
Premium Member
3,196 Posts
I get between 18 - 22 mpg. Your car is still new...wait till you rack up some more miles and you should be seeing it get better a bit.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I got 22.8mpg with my first tank of gas (assuming it was full) after picking the car up a little over a week ago.

i've got the '11 premium and drive and equal amount in town and on the highway. I've really hauled ass a few times as well so i don't see how everyone elses mileage can be so bad.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
I got 22.8mpg with my first tank of gas (assuming it was full) after picking the car up a little over a week ago.

i've got the '11 premium and drive and equal amount in town and on the highway. I've really hauled ass a few times as well so i don't see how everyone elses mileage can be so bad.
You've had your car a little over a week ago, of course you don't. I've had my car for a year and a half and I know LJ has had his for a pretty long while as well. I think we probably have a lot more experience and data.

:D

·
The one the only
2,325 Posts
It's my first car, and as a High School student, I drive mainly from my home to school and ocassionally out and about with friends. I have already 1.2k miles on the car, and I've had it since Christmas. It's a 2011 Auto 2.0T (my baby). However, I am getting roughly 15.4MPG--and that's with MY calculations. The trip computer states I get 15.2MPG. I don't understand why the mileage is so bad. I don't (usually) have a lead foot, and I even use cruise control when possible. Any tips? I've done some searching on the forums, and couldn't find anything directly related. Thanks guys, appreciate any help. :D
I don't (usually) have a lead foot come on dude. I have a lead foot about 50% of the time i drive and i get 20mpg adv. Its a turbo charged sports car so be happy you get that. If you are not happy with the mpg then maybe you should get a Elantra, they get 40mpg hwy.:D

·
Premium Member
3,196 Posts
You've had your car a little over a week ago, of course you don't. I've had my car for a year and a half and I know LJ has had his for a pretty long while as well. I think we probably have a lot more experience and data.

This. I've had my car since December 2009 and have about 53,000 km in it already...from all city to long distance. I drive pretty hard on some days but the average I get is always, never more or less between 18 - 22 mpg.

I hypermiled the GC one time (just out of curiousity :p) and got around 600km or so in a single tank. That was my first time but for those who are experienced will obviously get more ;)

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I had mine exactly 1 year on Feb.5th, my overall average using what the screen in the dash tells me is about 12L/100km or 19.6 mpg. That's with some heavy throttle takeoffs with 60/40 town/highway driving. The absolute lowest reading I've ever seen in the dash was during an hour of highway driving with the cruise control on at about 100 km/h or 62 mph was 9.7L/100km or 24.25 mpg.

The weird thing I'm finding, is that there really isn't a huge differnence in mileage between when I drive the car hard or when I actually spend a week driving it like a grandma to see how much farther I can go on a tank of gas. :confused:

·
Registered
188 Posts

are you saying the mileage gets worse the longer you own it?:p

i've driven it fairly hard about half the time and easy half the time due to snow. but i've also got 30 or so very hard accelerations (0 to 80ish) with that tank just playing around with it and still managed over 20mpg.

what are you guys doing with your cars to get less than 15mpg? keeping it redlined your entire drive and flooring it at every red light?

·
This guy
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't (usually) have a lead foot come on dude. I have a lead foot about 50% of the time i drive and i get 20mpg adv. Its a turbo charged sports car so be happy you get that. If you are not happy with the mpg then maybe you should get a Elantra, they get 40mpg hwy.:D
The Elantra also gets 20MPG in the city--same as the Coupe.

I'm not complaining, trust me. I love this car, truly a gem. I'm just kinda confused seeing as how the sticker was 20MPG (even 18MPG if you look at the fine print). I pay for my own gas, so it's kinda important. :p

·
This guy
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the help guys.

LJ_Gencoupe--I do agree that I probably need to just put some more miles on the car. I'll actually to wait and see if that theory is correct. :D

Maybe the reason everyone else has better mileage is due to the fact you guys drive on the highways? I have only been on the highway ONCE. That was for 3-8miles though. I am always doing city driving.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
are you saying the mileage gets worse the longer you own it?:p
No, I'm just saying that your experience with the car is a lot more limited - making conclusions based on one tank isn't terribly useful.

what are you guys doing with your cars to get less than 15mpg? keeping it redlined your entire drive and flooring it at every red light?
15 is pretty crazy low. Even flooring the car around town I think I get like 17...

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
The weird thing I'm finding, is that there really isn't a huge differnence in mileage between when I drive the car hard or when I actually spend a week driving it like a grandma to see how much farther I can go on a tank of gas. :confused:
I would agree with this. If I really ***** foot around and don't invoke the turbo gods I can get 24-25 mpg on a tank combined. In the summer, that's only getting me an extra 1-2 mpg over what I get anyways. Hardly worth the effort.

I think the car pretty much dumps fuel while it's warming up.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Thanks for all the help guys.

LJ_Gencoupe--I do agree that I probably need to just put some more miles on the car. I'll actually to wait and see if that theory is correct. :D

Maybe the reason everyone else has better mileage is due to the fact you guys drive on the highways? I have only been on the highway ONCE. That was for 3-8miles though. I am always doing city driving.
Yeah if all you're doing is city driving then it's gonna be pretty low, especialy if you're getting on the throttle from a dead stop. I've also found that while driving on town using the manual mode can help your mileage some. This stupid car shifts into 5th at like 50 km/h or 30 mph. I find driving around in 3rd or 4th at those speeds uses less fuel, it seems like the car uses more fuel in 5th at the slower speeds, like it too sluggish to be efficient.

1 - 20 of 239 Posts