Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

2.0T Genesis Engine Noise

10K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Jzapa049 
#1 · (Edited)
Under some investigation it seems similar to other posts that it is due to a bad lifter. I would like to get some of your opinions because I have been told a couple of different things. One mechanic who didn't even drive it told me it could be the timing chain, but I am not experiencing any issues besides the noise when throttling at 2000-3000 rpms regardless if the car is in neutral or while driving.

#2 ·
Sound of Engine Noise Uploaded

I just changed the oil and filter. I also added some Lucas Oil Stabilizer and some SeaFoam and the car is still making the same noise. Other than the noise being annoying the car has no problems starting, idle seems to be fine and car is running great to the best of my knowledge. Your thoughts and or help as to what it might be would be much appreciated.
Here is a link to the sound I am hearing.

#11 ·
Sound of Engine Noise Uploaded

I just changed the oil and filter. I also added some Lucas Oil Stabilizer and some SeaFoam and the car is still making the same noise. Other than the noise being annoying the car has no problems starting, idle seems to be fine and car is running great to the best of my knowledge. Your thoughts and or help as to what it might be would be much appreciated.
Here is a link to the sound I am hearing.
Did you ever figure out what it was im experiencing the same problem ?

#4 ·
Noise

The noise doesn't necessarily get that much larger but the knocking noise seems to increase (gets faster).

When you said a "valve train knock will be at half the speed of a rod knock" Are you saying it's a valve train knock? If so, what exactly is that in compared to a rod knock?

#5 ·
A rod knock when driving with a warmed up motor will be there under acceleration or load, when lifting the throttle it will go away temporarily. Valve train knock will always be there.

I would guess on a Gen Coupe 2L that valve train knock is coming form one of the buckets used for adjustment. So you would need to take the valve cover off and see what the clearances are on the cam to buckets. You may be able to see a mark on the bucket too.

#10 ·
I had the same problem with my 2010 coupe 2.0t. I drove it for almost a year without issue other then what you described. Until my timing chain slipped a tooth. It did when I turned off the car so it would not start again but luckily did not damage my engine. I don’t know to this day why it happened but that the two might have been related in some way.

Just my two cents.

Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.