Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, obviously, as you can tell by the title I am interested in the Hyundai Genesis Coupe. I am currently 18 years old and driving an 09 Toyota Corolla S which is reaching 220,000 miles. The car I have right now is doing its job getting me from here to there without any issues. I have recently got more into cars within the last year and a half as my friends around me have started to get more incredible upgrades/cars. In this time I have begun to go to car meets with them and long rides around the state. Right now in my little friend group we have: Honda Civic Type R, 370z, Veloster N, fully modded Camaro SS, Genesis Coupe 2.0T, Mustang, and a couple more I could care less to include.

Anyways, I am getting into the car scene and this car has always been one that stands out to me and I enjoy seeing on the road. I commute to college driving around 110 miles 5/7 days a week(30,000 miles a year). I plan on driving the car easy through the week but letting it have some fun on a weekend every now and then. So, some things I would like to have answered and can only be answered by the best...

1. Is the car reliable? I would change the oil every 5,000 miles as I do now. I need this car to last me roughly 3-5 years(probably around 180,000 miles in total)
2. What are the reliability differences between the 2.0T and the 3.8L v6? Which one would you recommend over the other one?
3. Are there any specific years I should stay away from? What is the most I should be paying for a completely stock Genesis will less than 60,000 miles?

The main other car I am interested in is a Ford Focus ST. Two very different cars and I love them both. So why should I choose the Genesis Coupe?

I live in Ohio and although it is an RWD car, I do understand winter tires on these cars do a world of differences so the weather isn't a big issue for me. I will also still be able to drive the corolla if conditions are that bad.

·
Registered
988 Posts
IMHO, the short answer is the coupe is as good/reliable or better than anything else out there, provided you buy a good example, take care of it, and dont overly modify or beat on it. Like any other used car get the newest, best kept, lowest mileage example you can find. I like the Focus St as well, its really up to you which one you prefer or what your needs are, obviously

·
Registered
988 Posts
the Focus is a bit more practical, but for a 2 door coupe the Genessis is very well thought out and one of the more practical sports cars avalible. Check the insurance rates for your age group and location, of my 5 cars my coupe is the most expensive to insure even for a old man with a perfect driving record.

·
Premium Member
14,904 Posts
lol, my insurance classified mine as a sport compact (probably because they didn't know what it was. Bought it new in 09)
The car is bigger than a subaru svx or a 300zx 2+2
My rates have always been cheaper than when I had my 92 jeep. Never had an accident in either.... knock on wood.

As for reliability, as with most cars, if it hasn't been fiddled with too much, then they are pretty reliable.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts