Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
13 2.0T
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I noticed that my car goes into a limp mode sometimes and I don't get any boost when I floor it. It happens when I hold the throttle for a little bit before pushing down on the pedal fully. Does anyone have any idea what causes this? Is the wastegate staying open early or something? I only have the problem when I am giving the car gas 'like normal' before boosting it. I can't build up speed like that then smash the throttle, I have to let off of it before hitting it if I actually want to get any boost...

I know the car limits boost when low on gas, but my car will still boost like crazy even when on 2 gal left~ it just won't work when I try to build speed at normal RPMs then boost. Haven't tested the theory on a full tank yet so that could be it.

·
Registered
673 Posts
My car has a similar problem, which I think is due to the tune itself but not 100% sure yet.

Sometimes, randomly, it gets put into a sort of limp mode. One thing I notice by looking at my OBDLink app is that Timing seems to hit a wall at 18* and won't go any higher, making the car feel like it's in limp mode, even though boost still shows a peak of like 20psi.

Good luck!

·
Registered
239 Posts
My 2013 2.0T RSpec on doesn't boost when the range gets low enough to quit counting down and when the engine is cold. It's like driving an Elantra, when no boost....LOL Otherwise I have not experienced limp mode or no boost (knock on wood).

ominousone

·
Registered
673 Posts
Limp mode limits the throttle opening and rpm to 1500.
That's what I figured a true limp mode would do, kind of like my old 1.8T VWs.

Any ideas as to why timing on my car would randomly hit 18* during WOT and not go any higher? When it's running good, WOT will see timing at like mid-high 20's.

·
I'd rather do it myself
19,453 Posts
Do you have the torque app? It has a knock detector plug in. Could be a bad knock sensor or loose? It's under the intake in the middle. Kind of hard to get to.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I do, and last time I used it, it didn't detect any knock. It's been quite a while though as I've been using the OBDLink app. I'll try it again after work to see if it detects any knock.

·
159 Posts
Check your vacuum lines.
When I installed my BOV, one of the wee hoses was loose, the result was a car that felt like it hated life at low RPM and then it would finally come to some kind of life at higher RPM.

The vacuum gauge didn't really change much at idle (not enough to stand out anyway). Long story short, I was wiggling the vacuum line and it slid off, at which point it was very obvious that it was leaking.
Put it back on with a beefy zip tie, and the problem went away.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts