Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

21 - 40 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
warranty only gets voided if they can prove the what you put in the car is what caused the damage so if they cant you still are under warranty i learned that with my 350z that was lightly modded
I know what you are saying, I've gone through the loops as well with Modification friendly dealerships.
Headers, intake and exhaust don't cause engine or driveline failure?
Unless you are best buddies or something with someone at the dealer anything with more power through it is void. So you can have warranty on the suspension, interior and electronics.

I went through the entire thing with my STi, but I knew what I was getting into.

It won't even be close, 3.8 easy. First off, the 3.8 has 100+ hp over the 2.0t stock.
Next, for $2000 your biggest bang for the buck would be a turbo swap and ecu tune for the 2.0t, then you MAY have some extra cash to fix some bottlenecks in the breathing of the engine. You may be pushing close to 250-300 hp wheels then. The 3.8, best deal would be exhaust, intake, and a tune. Dyno charts have already shown that this puts out 360+ whp. Done.
I have a hard time believing that 360+whp with minor bolt-ons. Please post some proof of your claims.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Just a side note the RMR Drift car is 550hp 2.0L Turbo not the 3.8L.
No it isn't.

ENGINE AND TURBO KIT

The Hyundai Lambda 3.8-liter V6 engine, which comes standard on the Genesis Coupe 3.8, will be stroked to 4.1-liters and further enhanced by a Turbonetics turbocharger. An AEM engine management system will also be used. The engine will be mated to a HKS sequential transmission. The end result is a Genesis Coupe that will produce 550 horsepower and 520 lb.-ft. of torque.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Can you please provide me with flow numbers for this turbo. exhaust housing sizes, and turbine specifications. Until i get ACTUAL flow numbers, its speculation. I actually have a few friends with WRX's making over 300whp on bolt ons.
I'd love to meet your "friends" with TD04's over 300whp
I come from a Subaru background and no 2.0L or 2.5L WRX is going to get 300whp out of a TD04. 300wtq you can, but not whp.

·
MagnumPSI
348 Posts
I'd love to meet your "friends" with TD04's over 300whp
I come from a Subaru background and no 2.0L or 2.5L WRX is going to get 300whp out of a TD04. 300wtq you can, but not whp.
Have you ever heard of Slowboy Racing? As a former employee there, I am very very close friends with their main tuner. I have seen about 200 wrx's and probably 300 evo's in the past 3 years on the dyno..

I can give you phone numbers, or anything you need. ITS ALL ABOUT THE TUNE.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Have you ever heard of Slowboy Racing? As a former employee there, I am very very close friends with their main tuner. I have seen about 200 wrx's and probably 300 evo's in the past 3 years on the dyno..

I can give you phone numbers, or anything you need. ITS ALL ABOUT THE TUNE.
Slowboy Racing I know of, still your claims are far fetched no matter who you know.(especially on stock turbo WRX's)

Genesis Coupe Turbo - TD04L-04H

Since Hyundai made some changes to the turbo, you can guesstimate flow numbers but not exact. It's still a very small turbo.

·
MagnumPSI
348 Posts
Slowboy Racing I know of, still your claims are far fetched no matter who you know.(especially on stock turbo WRX's)

Genesis Coupe Turbo - TD04L-04H

Since Hyundai made some changes to the turbo, you can guesstimate flow numbers but not exact. It's still a very small turbo.
All i want is a simple stat. LB/Minute

I am going to sit back for now on and just wait to see. no more responses to anything from me till the car is released.

·
Registered
7,475 Posts
I think that the same $$ spent on either engine is looking to gain about the same WHP from what we have seen (with the exception being a turbo upgrade on the 2.0 w/ higher boost is going to definitely make more power) so I see them as a pretty dead heat here for gains.

2.0t w/ I/H/E & gt30r @??psi = ~360 wheels.. this is obviously outside of the 2-3k range I am betting if you want to do it right. I/H/E and a tune to up the boost on the stock snail should fall easily within 2-3 grand and be making around 250-300 whp

3.8 w/ I/H/E = 300 wheels. this should be easily attainable w/ 2-3 grand including. Toss in a good tune, and I am betting that we see numbers possibly approaching 330 - 340 (speculation)

If you raise the $$ up a bit to 5-6 grand though, I see the 3.8 pulling ahead as this would bring the 3.8 into boost territory and we already know the 3.8 takes pretty well to boost.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I think that the same $$ spent on either engine is looking to gain about the same WHP from what we have seen (with the exception being a turbo upgrade on the 2.0 w/ higher boost is going to definitely make more power) so I see them as a pretty dead heat here for gains.

2.0t w/ I/H/E & gt30r @??psi = ~360 wheels.. this is obviously outside of the 2-3k range I am betting if you want to do it right. I/H/E and a tune to up the boost on the stock snail should fall easily within 2-3 grand and be making around 250-300 whp

3.8 w/ I/H/E = 300 wheels. this should be easily attainable w/ 2-3 grand including. Toss in a good tune, and I am betting that we see numbers possibly approaching 330 - 340 (speculation)

If you raise the $$ up a bit to 5-6 grand though, I see the 3.8 pulling ahead as this would bring the 3.8 into boost territory and we already know the 3.8 takes pretty well to boost.
Thats what I've been thinking.

The 3.8 seems to like a good stroking too. :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
In the end, you are still limited by the fuel you use.

92 octane can only support ~400whp on a 2.0L motor, you can push this a bit more with alcohol or water injection. It doesn't matter what size turbo, or how much boost, you are still knock limited at a certain point.

A 3.8L motor can potentially support 800whp on 92 octane.

If you are going for big power, this may be the deal breaker. Unless you have E85 near you, or don't mind paying out the rectum for race gas.

·
Registered
50 Posts
It does take well to boost?
Only one I have seen boosted is fully built and stroked, then it should take well to boost. But what about the stock 3.8L engine, how well will it hold up?

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
FMICs, by themselves, add nearly 0 horsepower at stock boost, as the stock boost isn't going to raise temps dramatically. They basically allow you to keep your intake temps down, which allows for 1) Denser air flow into the chamber for better combustion, and 2) Lower temps for the engine, turbo, and everything else around them, which increases efficiency. Intercoolers are only necessary when you raise your boost levels considerably, and if you're trying to do that on a stock turbo high enough to gain 20+ whp ON TOP of your tune whp quote, you're asking for trouble real fast. Sure you'll get that whp for a little bit... but you'll spend so much money replacing your turbos (and whatever else it breaks when the turbine asplodes) that you're not talking a decent DD car. Ignore the manufacturer HP claims on FMICs, they're a crock of s unless you're putting them on an already extremely boosted car (that should have had a FMIC in the first place).

that said, FMICs are GREAT if you are planning on dropping in components that can actually take the boost, as they will let the rest of the components run at higher levels.
A bigger FMIC on a stock setup raises hp on the simple factor that it opens up restriction of air flow. How ever you are correct with an intercooler core.

If you know or can find a tuning shop 2k can get you very far. Used rebuilt evo turbo, custom manifold, and turbo back, with repipe could all be done with in 2k-2,500. 3k could get you the tune aswell. Could net you between 300-350whp. If you knwo someone this could all be done for less then 2k.

V6 2k will get i/h/e

·
Registered
7,475 Posts
It does take well to boost?
Only one I have seen boosted is fully built and stroked, then it should take well to boost. But what about the stock 3.8L engine, how well will it hold up?
yeah, less than a month after the car was released in Korea one of the tuner shops in Seoul (I believe) built a car for R*Stars with I/E and a Rotrex centrifugal supercharger pushing 6 lbs of boost and it was supposed to be making 400-425 at the wheels, though we have never seen a dyno from this :(

There is also supposedly a twin gt35r boosted 3.8 being built / was built that we have only seen a few pics of... I am drooling just thinking about that setup, lol.

·
Registered
308 Posts
good to know people are getting their hopes up because someone SAID it takes to boost well :) I mean.... maybe a dyno would be sufficient or other mods they did to the 3.8.... and as far as the 2k in mods.... for a V6 a good exhaust will be over half that.... Then another 2-300 for the Intake... Add Tax and thats all she wrote... im sure you could go get a ghetto muffler shop to make you an exhaust for a couple bills but thats the same with the piping for the 2.0T..... I think what most people arent understanding with the 2.0T is that you can add boost.... the 3.8 can just turn a knob and add whp..... so yea even with 2k in mods.... take 500 of that for a good tune... that leaves a very manageable 1500 for intercooler, injectors, and piping then you have a system where you can safely max out the turbo ....

I would estimate a good 19 to 20 psi would put in you the neighborhood of 320-350 whp while still being in the turbo's efficiency range..... then no matter how you slice it the 2.0 will be cheaper to mod piece for piece later.... 2.0T needs 2 cams....... The V6 you will need 4 and so on.... up to the point where you can have a race car with either of the 2 motors, but cheaper for the 2.0.... In the end I would be really suprised if many people even take these cars past 500whp.... and the people that do will be amazed at how the next guy with 350 whp walked all over him because he couldnt get any traction. There is a point where you can have the biggest balls in the world but have no use for them.....

·
Registered
7,475 Posts
... I would estimate a good 19 to 20 psi would put in you the neighborhood of 320-350 whp while still being in the turbo's efficiency range.....
you're joking right? Do you honestly believe that the stock turbo will boost to 20 psi?? oy vey...

At 20 psi the 2.0 is flowing almost 480 cfm.. that is undoubtedly outside the range of any efficiency island for this stock turbo at any pressure.

By the way, 400-425 HP is the mathematical average for 6lbs of boost on a 3.8 liter engine @ 6500 rpm.. you act like this is unusually high. We've been down this road before... Korea doesn't matter to you, they are obviously lying... yes yes...

It is far more likely that they got 425 HP from 6 lbs of boost on the 3.8 liter engine than it is that you have any idea what is possible with either of these engines. I tell you what, if we can't get 400 - 425 hp out of the same setup as the R*Stars car, I will sell my coupe and leave the forums :)

How much power would a 350 make on 6 lbs of boost might I ask?

·
Premium Member
11,247 Posts
You have to convert that 425 in Korean horsepower to US horsepower. See below for Korean horse, on left:

·
His Majesty the King
1,761 Posts
not even going to read it for now...use the little search button up there and you can read exactly what everyone has already said 4-5 times already. Have fun.

·
His Majesty the King
1,761 Posts
You have to convert that 425 in Korean horsepower to US horsepower. See below for Korean horse, on left:
bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahaha:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

·
Registered
533 Posts
I'm vying for the v6. I've never owned a 4-cyl and don't like the sound they make. I like performance, but not heavy into tuning. I would be very happy with a 400 hp GC. What's wrong with slapping a turbo on the v6? -- That was a serious question as I don't know anything about turbos, again, never owned one.

Plus since I haven't been into tuning, I don't know of any good tuning shops in my part of the country, but if I ever put a turbo on my 3.8 I'm gonna need one.

21 - 40 of 123 Posts