Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

61 - 80 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
7,475 Posts
It's just a product of the internet really... There is SOOOOO many people out there that wanna be Dom. They take observation and make up a reason why things happen, then, because they have the biggest HP everyone assumes that they are right...

It's couch potatoe science really... I can totally see where a LOT of it comes from (particularly the misconceptions in reading compressor maps and turbo selection)

·
FUNCTION OVER FORM
5,383 Posts
that is actually a great idea..you go do that and let us know:rofl:

yea i was going to avoid the thread but i am bored.:p
Be honest, this is one of your favorite discussions..;)

oh boy I knew i was starting something with this post lol.
Yeah, me too, but I have to admit that I almost always learn a thing or two on these 2.0t vs 3.8L N/A discussions..:rolleyes:

It's just a product of the internet really... There is SOOOOO many people out there that wanna be Dom. They take observation and make up a reason why things happen, then, because they have the biggest HP everyone assumes that they are right...

It's couch potatoe science really... I can totally see where a LOT of it comes from (particularly the misconceptions in reading compressor maps and turbo selection)
Um' Flesh, who's Dom?:dunno:

·
Satsoui No Hadou
45 Posts
I can post up dyno sheets of a 2.0L WRX TD04 and a 2.5L WRX TD04 with the same boost and the numbers are not the same. The 2.5L puts out more whp and wtq because of the displacement.

Your way of thinking has me puzzled..If I stick a TD04 on a 1.6L 4cyl or a 2.5L 4Cyl the power is the same? I have no idea how you are thinking. :dunno:

Displacement will always effect the amount of power that will be put down. If you are talking about efficiency range well yes that won't change. I was making a point that the SRT-4 numbers are on a engine with .4L extra displacement..so if you want to take that into account you probably won't see 300whp on a 2.0L Turbo Genesis since the stock turbo would max out before then.
Because the tdo4 on the 2.5 is bigger...
The 2.5 put out more because its turbo flows more air.

They will max out around the same hp
Infact the 2.5 might make less due to exhaust pumping air too fast (overspinning)

So you're telling me a 4.6mustang is gonna make more hp on a 35r than a 1.6 civic? Show me a v8 making 700hp off of a 35r.... Fact is turbos are limited by cfm not hp...

2.0 will do more with the available cfm than a 2.4.

And yes this a very good thread!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Because the tdo4 on the 2.5 is bigger...
The 2.5 put out more because its turbo flows more air.
It's the exact same turbo..it's not bigger.

They will max out around the same hp
Infact the 2.5 might make less due to exhaust pumping air too fast (overspinning)
Huh?

So you're telling me a 4.6mustang is gonna make more hp on a 35r than a 1.6 civic? Show me a v8 making 700hp off of a 35r.... Fact is turbos are limited by cfm not hp...
Yep that's correct, a 35R will make better use of the cfm output by the turbo compared to a dinky 1.6L.

Have you ever heard of the saying, there is no replacement for displacement?

Why do we have V8's and V6's!?! just slap turbo's on 1.5L's all day long and were golden. Why even have different displacement turbo engines.

2.0 will do more with the available cfm than a 2.4.
I guess not.

:squint:

·
Alberta Genesis Club
4,135 Posts
:confused: your thinking has me puzzled.
The displacement of the engine will effect the power band that's it...
The turbo will max out around the same HP on any displacement in similar set ups.
Wrong wheel drive drivetrain loss is 11%(industry norm) and right wheel drive loss is 15%(again industry norm) 15-11=4. 325*4%=312whp

No one is saying its a good turbo btw, they're saying don't count it out.
You = need to do some reading friend

www teamswift net / viewtopic.php?p=267055
There, it's even in .PDF.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I know the 3.8L has more "displacement potential", but i am a fan of factory boosted engines. If i were to pick one up, i would for sure opt for the 2.0L R-Spec.

·
Satsoui No Hadou
45 Posts
You = need to do some reading friend

www teamswift net / viewtopic.php?p=267055
There, it's even in .PDF.
Doesnt work :(

·
Alberta Genesis Club
4,135 Posts
www amazon com /Maximum-Boost-Turbocharger-Engineering-Performance/dp/0837601606

Amazon has it... it isn't a turbocharging bible but it's a great starting point.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
To clarify things up yes both GC and srt4 have world engines and use TDO4 mitsubishi turbochargers. That the only similarity at all.

GC has a 2.0L world engine with Hyundai's chosen internals and electronic VVT. The turbo is a TDO4L-04H which is a 13T turbo closely related to the TDO4L in the older WRX.

Srt4 has 2.5L world engine with dodge's choice of internals and VVT setup. The turbo is a TDO4 there similar but the srt turbo is bigger so stop comparing the two.

It's like comparing the ralliart and EvoX.

·
Registered
308 Posts
some people remind me of the muscle car douche bags that think there is no replacement for displacement. I guess even when they start to buy imports they keep the same mentality. If bigger is better then everything would have V12's and 600hp. Or if you guys want just buy the V6 Camaro and put a blower on it. No this was not aimed at anyone just a rant. Sry if I offended anyone. Pushing submit reply now so someone can come back and say something genious about this post as well....

·
Premium Member
11,247 Posts
more cylinders doesn't mean more displacement, it just means more pistons, rods, etc... :D

I like smaller displacement boosted engines, but high displacement power will always hold a portion of my heart.
I have a friend at work that has a V6 Mustang and I give him crap for it all the time, but he's modded it a little, it sounds good, and he's gonna put a blower on it and be happy. Good for him.

·
R-
172 Posts
Simple question;

Have you ever driven a Turbo'ed (FI) car before?

R-

Turbo cars are amazingly fun IMO; compared to a N/A.

Also don't choose "BC THIS ONE IS TEH FASTERRr1!!!!!"

Choose because you want that car -_-"... It's all based on your own preferences, don't be a follower, do your own shizzle.

·
His Majesty the King
1,761 Posts
:confused: your thinking has me puzzled.
The displacement of the engine will effect the power band that's it...
The turbo will max out around the same HP on any displacement in similar set ups.
Wrong wheel drive drivetrain loss is 11%(industry norm) and right wheel drive loss is 15%(again industry norm) 15-11=4. 325*4%=312whp

No one is saying its a good turbo btw, they're saying don't count it out.
what...

what?

wtf?!

none of that made sense. There isn't an industry norm for drive train loss. And 11% is extremely optimistic. Average for a 2wd is closer to 18% stock with a manual transmission, closer to 22% with an auto.

an no...displacement does matter....turbos don't flow hp they move air.

by your thinking a goped engine with a T04 on it would make the same power as a SRT but with a crappy power curve....wtf are you smoking?:rofl:

·
His Majesty the King
1,761 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm going for the 2.0 spec-r when it drops. Still has more comforts than I'm used to, plus it has all those nice performance goodies. Who can say no to Brembos and an LSD? :bowdown:

·
Registered
813 Posts
To clarify things up yes both GC and srt4 have world engines and use TDO4 mitsubishi turbochargers. That the only similarity at all.

GC has a 2.0L world engine with Hyundai's chosen internals and electronic VVT. The turbo is a TDO4L-04H which is a 13T turbo closely related to the TDO4L in the older WRX.

Srt4 has 2.5L world engine with dodge's choice of internals and VVT setup. The turbo is a TDO4 there similar but the srt turbo is bigger so stop comparing the two.

:squint: did i miss something here? or did dodge and the rest of the world forget to mention the extra .1L in that motor? The SRT-4 was a 2.4L motor, and i know i know people are gonna say what difference is .1L gonna make, but when it comes down to it every little change in any engine will make a difference

·
His Majesty the King
1,761 Posts
theironmonk said:

:squint: did i miss something here? or did dodge and the rest of the world forget to mention the extra .1L in that motor? The SRT-4 was a 2.4L motor, and i know i know people are gonna say what difference is .1L gonna make, but when it comes down to it every little change in any engine will make a difference
http://www.gencoupe.com/general-discussion/9543-world-engine-truths-myths.html

·
MODERAT0R lawlz
334 Posts
Personally, I think I'd be perfectly happy with 350ish hp. I know I could do this with either engine, but I'm thinking about the long term. Im worried about what kind/how many problems I would run into 3-5 years down the road boosted

61 - 80 of 123 Posts