Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
GeeJoon
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a strange issue with my trunk lid. When I close it, there does not seem to be anything slowing it down so it would slam shut. No issue when opening the trunk and it stays open without any problem. Has anyone else had this issue? I'm getting tired of telling people to be careful when closing my trunk and to let it down slowly to prevent it from slamming.

Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I am not sure about your model but mine is a 13 and the trunk has rubber round barrel shaped thingies on the trunk itself that can be adjusted up or down by twisting them. they adjust how hard it is to close the trunk and cushion it from shutting too hard.

·
GeeJoon
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am not sure about your model but mine is a 13 and the trunk has rubber round barrel shaped thingies on the trunk itself that can be adjusted up or down by twisting them. they adjust how hard it is to close the trunk and cushion it from shutting too hard.
Would you be able to post a photo showing this? I would like to see if mine has it as well. Much appreciated!

·
GeeJoon
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Shocks wearing out?

Possible that the center of gravity is enough that it stays open but can't support the weight when closing.
Should it be wearing out this early? I know the car is almost 5 years old but the trunk doesn't get much use at all. Never had this issue with older cars that I used to have.

Mine is like that.. thought that's just how it was haha, stays up fine but drops like bag of bricks when closing
Glad I'm not the only one! Hopefully we can find a solution to this.

·
Banned
2,200 Posts
Should it be wearing out this early? I know the car is almost 5 years old but the trunk doesn't get much use at all. Never had this issue with older cars that I used to have.

Glad I'm not the only one! Hopefully we can find a solution to this.
I would think you'd be right, but that was just a guess from me.

Mine is "hard" to close.

·
Genesis 2.0t R-Spec
132 Posts
Slams like a bag of bricks agree totaly.. earlier every time. So bad the brake light finally had its last slam and I lost it after already having to glue it once... Be careful with that. Anyone know where I can locate the brake light strip for the spoiler?

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
sorry, I kept forgetting to take this pic

The rubber spacers are circled- just twist them to adjust their length and that adjusts how hard the trunk slams shut. I have removed the sound deadening material from my trunk, so yours may look different- feel for the material, it's a spongey rubber.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Mine with the track spoiler won't pop up at all when trying to open. It unlatches but no upward movement.
I also have Track Spoiler. Trunk pops up about 1/8th of an inch When unlocking. Good enough for me. It gets the job done.:smile:

·
Registered
555 Posts
I have a strange issue with my trunk lid. When I close it, there does not seem to be anything slowing it down so it would slam shut. No issue when opening the trunk and it stays open without any problem. Has anyone else had this issue? I'm getting tired of telling people to be careful when closing my trunk and to let it down slowly to prevent it from slamming.

Any help is appreciated!
I lower mine about half way, then let go of it. Closes very nicely.

Have Track Spoiler on trunk.

·
GeeJoon
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
sorry, I kept forgetting to take this pic

The rubber spacers are circled- just twist them to adjust their length and that adjusts how hard the trunk slams shut. I have removed the sound deadening material from my trunk, so yours may look different- feel for the material, it's a spongey rubber.
Thanks for the photo. I'll have to try that out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have this issue as well but after reading this thread i realized that just letting go of my trunk half way down lets it close with enough force to close it without it slamming. this forum is amazing :)

·
Registered
312 Posts
I don't have a spoiler. When opening, it unlatches with a small move. I lift under the lip and let go about a quarter way, as it glides open. When closing, I grab the inside handle and give a light flick about halfway. It closes solid without slamming.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I don't have a spoiler. When opening, it unlatches with a small move. I lift under the lip and let go about a quarter way, as it glides open. When closing, I grab the inside handle and give a light flick about halfway. It closes solid without slamming.
That sounds about right, considering you don't have the added weight of the spoiler like I do.:smile:

Not sure what the original poster's problem is since it sounds quite normal.

Maybe he never had to open his trunk until just before his first post.:wink:

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have a 2010 with a track spoler on it and I cringe every time i close my trunk. Lately i hold the spoiler from the top and close it so i dont have to hear the vibrations of it when it hits the bottom. I even trained my GF to close it properly or else she gets the spray bottle. BAD KITTY!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts