Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2010 3.8L at home rebuild

Ok guys i'm at it again. I originally purchased a 2012 2.0L wrecked Genny coupe back in November Fixed her all up and now shes my daily. I decided to take a shot at doing it again with a wrecked 3.8L and see how that feels. The idea was to fix it up and test out the new one and if I like it better than keep the new sell the old. However, upon closer inspection,(yes I purchased from looking at pictures instead of going in person to the auction) the radiator and fan have been pushed back right up to the engine. More importantly, the front subframe was pushed back into the oil pan and cracked it. My question is has anyone ever dealt with this issue before? The pan has been cracked will need to be replaced which isn't an issue, however the front subframe being bent in the middle scares the hoots out of me. On my daily right now I had both front and rear damage however it was only unibody damage in the rear. Used MACCO to fix and for about $500 it was perfect. Do you guys think the subframe has to be replaced or could it just be pulled? Wouldn't that require dropping the engine and tranny? If so I may just part out of run away from her.

Current outstanding issues:
Steering Wheel airbag deployment
Radiator broke
Radiator fan broke
Radiator Support Broke
FRONT SUBFRAME BENT
No key
No bumper cover
Serpentine Belt Torn

Its a 2010 3.8L with 50k Miles on it. Also, would you all like a documentation of the rebuild process if I go that route?

EDITED: Changed title to reflect the direction the thread ha ultimately taken.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Welp boys, i bit the bullet on this one. Torn the front out and took a look at the damage, she was a goner. The Engine was cracked as well. Looks like shes going to be a part out.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well guys I have made the impulse decision to buy another junker that has rear engine damage only and swap the front out. Or possibly take the red Jenny as use her as a parts car. Either way I plan on getting a running 3.8L somehow. I'll be posting pics as I journey through this.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j101/dragon3650/Photo Jun 09 12 04 53 PM.jpg

Just wanted to updated, with a pic of my project in the corner and a pic of my daily driver.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j101/dragon3650/Photo Jun 09 12 05 16 PM.jpg

This just happened today, my passenger window is making the most horrifying scratching noise when i let it down. For now i am letting it stay in place, (Slightly down position) until I can remove it and fix. I will possibly be doing a full fix party over the fourth of July Week. More pics to come when i get the new donor car!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update: I bidded on a nice Genesis this morning bid i was outbidded its all well though, more fish are in the sea. This weekend i plan on pulling the engine and verifying if the front cover and oil pan can be replaced vice swapping a new engine in. My only concern is should i remove the transmission together with the engine or unbolt them from one another. If i break them apart i feel like im going to be replacing more seals than i would have if I simply removed the whole thing. Only possible seal i'd need to replace is the one in the propeller shaft correct? Either route i go pictures will be posted and the Journey will be documented.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Good news! The Engine looks to be salvageable. Once I removed all the pulleys and the oil pan I had to remove the valve covers then finally the timing chain cover. I didn't get any pictures of the replacement but shes back in the car sitting on the motor mounts. New "used" valve cover new oil pan and gaskets installed. I wont know if shes oil tight till he July 4th week. When I plan to tacklet the last big task which is replacing front cross member assembly (Front sub frame?) Also, I removed the window regulator because my passenger side went out on my daily driver and I hate not having a working window.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Update: As of 7/4/2017 Happy independence DAY!!!

So things took an unexpected turn. I set out to purchase a parts car to fix this one and i ended up getting a car that i may just fix instead. I took a flight back from Mobile Alabama friday night, went to Buschgardens saturday (Im local to hampton virginia) went to Water country USA sunday and that night started the drive up to New York to pick up my donor car. I'll never drive to long island for a car again between the tolls and the Hassle with traffic it was only a few hundred bucks more to get it delivered to me. Once i got her home , she started right up with a jump. The plan for now is to see how much MACCO will charge to straighten the back end and to install the bumper from my red guy and paint it all. If its not tooo terrible of a price, i will remove the old bumper and exhaust from big red and put it on Midnight. At this point big red will be a parts car unless i get ANOTHER donor car for super super cheap. But shes push to start so im holding out hope, theres another car within driving distance that would be another good candidate.

More details about the journey , had to stop 8-12 times to fix a lighting issue on my dads truck. Ended up having to manually re wire everything at 2am to temporaraily fix the issue. I plan on re wiring his trailer as thanks for the trip. On the way back we had the trailer blow a tire, luckily we just purchased one for the journey. But nothing is more terrifying than changing a tire on the Jersey turnpike in 90 degree heat and 2pm.

Still worth it though. See pics below.

Tomorrow i'll also be pulling the old engine again to screw the oil pump bolt back into place.....HORRAY. =/

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update: 7/8/2017

So things have took a turn for the better. I've managed to get the red one started! I only ran it for approximately 3 seconds about 3 times each. She spewed oil out the side but that was because the transmission oil lines are trash. I'm really starting to think that bolt wasnt screwed in from the factory i guess in the end only time will tell. Now i wait for another candidate vehicle to take the front of for cheap.

As far as the black one is concerned i got an estimate on cost to pull the back out i was estatic about so the price so black one will be getting repaired!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
7/9/2017

After some deep thought and mediation the work to repair the red car and restore to running condition along with the potential cost of parts has lead to the realization that i should probably part this car out. That along with the fact that VA DMV only lets me rebuild 2 cars a year without a license would mean id have to jump through legal hoops to get her back on the road once the black one gets out the shop and on the road. With that said i'll keep the post going to complete the black 3.8L rebuild with pictures. If i make it to 50 posts i'll eventually post this car in the part out section.

More pics coming of the back end damage of the black 3.8L.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
8/27/217

After Months of waiting shes finally done! Got it back from the frame shop and the pulling is complete!

Picture doesn't show that i swapped exhausts with my old red one after these shots so now the tips line up with the bumper.

Few more DMV items then she'll be up for sale!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts