Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, i am just in the middle of changing my timing chains,I ordered all new parts, but I see i don,t have all the new seals needed , can you reuse the two "O" rings on the oil filter housing ?, also the big "O" ring that seals between the motor block and the timing cover water pump inlet?? also my 3.8L motor does not have these two top timing chain guides, part # 24420A in this picture, I order two new ones, but they are not there ?, should i leave out or install them ?? https://scontent.fyyc4-1.fna.fbcdn.net/.../87553183... https://scontent.fyyc4-1.fna.fbcdn.net/.../87493513...

·
Sleeper!
825 Posts
If your going to be in there doing it all, doesn't make sense to reuse the old o rings. Definitely replace them while in it so you don't have to go back in. That part number is specific for the bk2 3.8s but can be added into the bk1.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks GenCoupe13, so you saying these guides ( part# 24420A) were only installed on the BK2 motor ?, funny they wold have the treaded mounting bolt holes and all on the BK1 motor , but never installed the part, but since i have them , I will install them.

·
Sleeper!
825 Posts
Your welcome. Yeah they were only installed and used on the bk2 but had the provision for them on the bk1 trust me I know since I build so many of these engines haha.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As for the "O" rings, looks like i will have to re-use the old ones, as our local dealer is closed due to the Covid-19, I will use a little of this Right Stuff Instant Black rtv and hope for the best .

·
Sleeper!
825 Posts
I keep them in stock personally but with you being in Canada it wouldn't be worth it to you with shipping/duties. Definitely look them over and see if you can get away with reusing.

·
Sleeper!
825 Posts
Small O rings inside the timing cover = 213563c510
RH gasket inside the timing cover = 213543c550
LH gasket inside the timing cover = 213543c540
Front main seal = 213523c600
O ring between timing cover and coolant pipe = 213533c500

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Small O rings inside the timing cover = 213563c510
RH gasket inside the timing cover = 213543c550
LH gasket inside the timing cover = 213543c540
Front main seal = 213523c600
O ring between timing cover and coolant pipe = 213533c500
Thank you very much, is there a web site that a person can look these parts and part # up?

Still looking for the 2 "O" rings for the oil filter housing /

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
OK , fill up with fluids and, started right up , it made alittle rattling noise when first started and went away right away, The only concern is that the oil light comes on at Idle, goes out when its above 2000 rpm,s, I did use lighter oil this time 5-20w as recommended, could this be the problem ?, any help would be great. last oil change i used 5w30 or 5w40

·
In Charge of Snacks
2,093 Posts
Assuming you did it right, I can't imagine where the failure could be. Obviously you're on the lookout for leaks. Unfortunately on these engines there's only a "green zone" for oil pressure, no actual readout in PSI. I would hope the codes at least tell you if you're high or low. Provided you're low, a higher viscosity could make the light go away, but physics might punish you with higher oil temps, power loss/reduced mileage, increased stress on your oil seals, and increased degradation of oil quality. It's worth a try, but don't go above 5w30 without research. I have run motul 5w30 for a couple years as an experiment. Haven't seen any considerable issues other than a tiny drop in mileage.

·
2011 3.8 R-Spec
27 Posts
The dealer I worked at, one of the techs was building 3.8 motor for the coupe, put it all back together, and the oil pressure light came on. He had to tear all back down, come to find out he had put one of the tensioners on at a slight angle, just enough that oil pressure was bleeding off from the little gap in the coverage area. You might wanna take off the timing cover and recheck the positioning of all your tensioners, and make sure they are perfectly over their areas. Also, any of the O-rings that you installed could be pinched, leading to a bleed off of oil pressure from there as well. The issue is finding which o-ring that it is the culprit. The tensioner placement might or might not be the issue, so I'm not saying that is the culprit with any certainty, just an idea of something I've seen before, working at a Hyundai dealer :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank You Very much, interesting to know that that little bit of movement on the alignment could cause that, I did not look for that , just put it on the one stud and then moved it alittle to get the bottom bolt in and then tighten it down, I know the there would be a little wiggle room up & down and or side ways, never would of thought it could move enough to expose the oil passage in the block.
Thanks for the heads up, I will look very, very closely at this now, I i was planning on taking the front chain case cover of today and double checking everything, and with out you saying this , i may of not looked for this before removing the tensioners.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good day Yellow Tycho, I took my car back apart, I do all my own mechanic work, we have 6 snowmobiles, 4 dirt bike 4 commute cars , 65 ford Fairlane ( 347 stoker motor ) 73 dodge charger and a 73 road runner 440, so i stay very busy sometimes, Well I am really embarrassed to found this , but it was the drivers side chain tensioner, the spacer plate was only on the top stud, the bottom bolt did not go throw the spacer, the bottom of the spacer was angle off to the drivers side, and this allowed about 1/4 of the oil passage port in the block to be uncovered.I don,t know how i did not see this, but after being told to check this it standed right out, so if the dealer tec missed it and i missed it, I could see this being a common mistake when guys are doing there own timing chains on these motors,.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Does anyone know why this bolt is here , its on the passengers side of the front chain case cover on my 2010 3.8 genesis motor, it does not tread into the block , its just a treaded hole in the cover with a short bolt ? why is it there, is it a inspection hole or something it kind of aligns up with the chain tensioner on that side. ?

Attachments

·
In Charge of Snacks
2,093 Posts
WOW, I didn't expect that misalignment issue.I'm glad you caught it instead of putting up with the side effects of excessive oil viscosity. As for the hole, IDK. Could it be a factory pre-start-up lube port for the timing system? Seems a bit small for 2008 inspection technology.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts