Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 3.8L with the ZF auto and she is just about to roll over 80K. Car has been great and I love it but recently took it on a little road trip and on the way back the tranny was acting a little weird. What was happening was if I was going downhill off the accelerator at around 55-60MPH it felt as if the torque converter was locking and unlocking quickly. RPM's would jump from 1800 to about 2000 and back again.

It has never done this before and it only did it for a short time. I have 2 theory's......first, this was right after I was doing some spirited driving on the PA turnpike. It is possible the tranny fluid was just a little hot and this was causing the issue? My second though was a little more involved as after doing some research on the 6HP19 I found that there are some troublesome seals above the valve body that are known to start leaking around the 70-80K range and alot of people recommend changing them as it is vitality important to have proper presures in the valve body (Metatronic).

I figured that if I change the seals it will also give me a chance to change the fluid and filter that is part of the pan.

What does everyone think? Anyone run into this before?

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Hot bastard

The 8AT in this 3.8 is an awesome trans. The problem is its a hot bastard. It was immediately apparent that the oem provisions for "trans cool" are lackluster. My Hyundai tech informed me that the trans portion in the stock cooler brings the coolant up to temp moreso than it cools the ATF. I found this out the first time I actually got on mine.
If one just monitors Torque app for a short period it should make you run to get a legitimate cooler,
If you have 80 K or so, I'd say you just asnwered your own question. Youre seals have been baked by your fluid over its life. Components are starting to act up.

I would recommend you switching to CERMA trans fluid. It rejuvenates seal materials. Try this before you do a full rebuild or trans replacement.

Here is the link. Its the first thing I did after purchasing my 3.8

https://www.cermastore.com/transmission-fluid-automatic.html

·
Premium Member
40,514 Posts
No, no, and no. The ZF Tranny is very particular about fluid. Putting something else in is a sure way to kill it. The ZF tranny is infamous for overheating. Add a transmission cooler and all your problems will most likely go away.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Well, mine has 2K on it now with the CERMA ATF, it loves it. My fluid (ATF) temp stays at 98.6 F,...will go to 122 F in WOTs then return.
I'll tell you how she reacts with 200 more horsepower here in the next month r so.LOL.

View this, this guy is the inventor. US company. The guy is a triple engineer. Mech/Electrical/Chemical.
He is also the tech suppport fellow. Any questions ask him directly. Tell him Pete from Indy sent you. NO, I'm not a sales person. Just someone who belives in experential knowledge, and what goes around comes around.
https://youtu.be/IBL3TiogURQ

1 - 4 of 4 Posts