Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Bought my Genesis 2.0t back in April of this year with 105k on it. Also bought a warranty covering powertrain etc. Put 4000 miles on the car and the turbo spun out killing the turbo and motor. Took the dealership 10 weeks to complete this warranty work so as you can imagine I'm less than thrilled. Got the car back a little over a month ago with the check engine light still on. I work for a dealership and have had the code scanned a half dozen times and no codes are coming up. Now I know something is still wrong with the vehicle as I'm AVERAGING 15mpg in both city and highway driving. I filed a claim with Hyundai corporate and they're trying to tell me my car doesn't qualify for a buyback because its 7 years old.

First question: Has anyone had a check engine light consistently like this with no codes and if so, what was the issue? ECU?
Second question: Does anyone know what the requirements or stipulations are regarding vehicle buyback? I've already filed a complaint with the Attorney Generals office, (I live in Mass) and I've started my lemon law paperwork but I'd like to know if anyone has dealt with this so I have some more ammo when they call me back. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I think you are overkilling it man. So, you got a new motor/turbo but still have a CEL? Maybe they forgot to plug some pigtail back or something? Just throwing 2 cents out there. Just to clarify - the light on the dash is on but when you scan it you get no codes? WTF? This is first time I hear something like that. Have you tried unplugging the battery to reset the ECU? Are fuses OK?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fuses are all okay, also tried disconnecting the battery as well. From what I've read in other threads, the ecu either needs to be reflashed or needs to be replaced. I'm having a hard time wanting to bring the car back to the dealership all warranty work was done at just because of how long it took them to do the full swap and because of their dishonesty. I also work at a dealership and have had my service manager check it out for me on my behalf and he is just as baffled as I am. I'm almost thinking that I may just need to replace the ecu.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
When you disconnect the battery how long does it take for the light to come back? If it's on immediately after starting the car even after battery disconnect I would also suspect the ecu. Is there someone you can swap ecu's with? You can also take it to another dealer for diagnostics though. You might have to pay up to 100 bucks but they will tell you if it's the ecu or not.

I have not heard anything like this before

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Didn't take much longer than a few minutes, no longer than 10. Unfortunately no one in my remote area has an ecu available to swap with me but I've seen quite a few for sale. I think I may just have to pick one up and hope for the best!

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Before you buy another one make sure all connectors are snug. Pop the hood and literally go through every connector.

Remember if you buy another ecu, you will have a code for vin mismatch.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts