Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Love me some me!!!
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anyone get a CEL after installing their headers? I put them on Wednesday and have put about 300 miles on the car since and i just got a CEL this morning. Ideas?

·
The OG
7,957 Posts
You need antifoulers. PM McFly or CP-E.

·
Slurpee
1,740 Posts
I'm running no cats on my V6 with no CEL on. But I had a shop do my install so I dunno if they did anything specific or not. :dunno:

Edit: Got to love the smell of 0 cats. :D

·
Hyundai Parts Employee
1,542 Posts
They probably ran antifoulers of some sort.

Are you guys using the drilled out spark plug nonfoulers?

I had one of those on my old protege5 that I had a header on. Worked like a charm

·
The OG
7,957 Posts
Are you guys using the drilled out spark plug nonfoulers?
I am yes, the ones McFly made. CP-E's LTHs come with something similar.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
or just go the the autoparts store and buy them....
i'll look for the post i made about it when i first had this problem... or you can search for it yourself.

·
Love me some me!!!
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all, I found the defouler post and i will just give that a shot. Appreciate all the assistance!!!

·
Sr. Lifetime Prem. Member
428 Posts
My cel adventure

First off, I have a 3.8, not a turbo (gonna leave that in there, I kept seeing all the CEL posts were in the 2.0 section, lol). I purchased, back in September of 2010, ARK downpipes, a GRIP V1 catback exhaust and an Injen CAI. I was told by ARK that I may or may not begin to get check engine lights or cels, which would be caused by the downpipes.

The downpipes, just like the stock pipes, have a short, round metal "tube" protruding from them that holds the O2 sensors in them. I was told that since the ARK downpipes are larger than the stock pipes, the amount of air and the O2 mixture would be different and that is what would cause the Cel's; but to "fix" it, they had some things called "CEL FIXERS" you could order online. They had initially said they would get them for me if I had the problem, which I did, intermittently, but I got tired of waiting for them to keep their promise and ordered them myself.

I received further verification when I would take my car to the dealer with the check engine light on. They would look into it and tell me that was what the problem was, the O2 sensors, and they too said it was probably because of the downpipes.

I just recently got the CEL fixers installed (after having them for about a year sitting in my glove box, lol) and they have substantially reduced the number of times the light comes on, and when it does, it doesn't stay on for as long as it used to, so I'm hoping they will eventually eliminate the problem altogether. I could be wrong, but this has been what I've been told and what I've experienced.

·
Wants to go back to Cali
1,365 Posts
How much bigger can the ark down pipes be vs the stock ones. As far as I know it should be 2.5" it doesn't make sense. We don't have the 3" like the 2.0 guys do. It seems like crappy craftsmanship was involved instead.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
dbigboi703
286 Posts
Yea you need o2 extenders i had the same problem. i do get a cel (running rich) if i beat the sh!t out of the car but it turns off within a day or two.

·
Wants to go back to Cali
1,365 Posts
You guys gotta lengthen your second o2 sensor up where the second cats are. It'll remove your cel for good and it'll mimic your primary cat that used to be there.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 14 of 14 Posts