Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, new here and im not too sure where to post so Im hoping this post gets to the right place.

I have a 2010 Genesis Coupe 3.8 with 130xxx kms. I have been trying to figure out the engine light thats been on for a while. Its coming across as "Cam shaft position over-retarded Permanent" and its on the exhaust side. Im in the process of testing out the cam sensors with a multi-meter to figure out if one is faulty. While examining the car, I noticed the Oil Control Valve (OCV) or the Variable Valve Timing (VVT) solenoid....however you want to call it.....on the exhaust side of the engine was covered in gunk on the outside (pictures below).

Now, having said that, I actually replaced that exact part and the old part was having the same issue when it was replaced....covered in black gunk. The other OCV on the car is completely clean so Im sure thats not right. Further, I noticed when I unplug the OCV from the wiring harness I noticed there was oil inside the connection....obviously not good.

So im wondering what the proper fix might be? The current OCV thats in the car is brand new yet oil and gunk is somehow seeping through and oil is getting into the electrical connection. And also wondering if that could be throwing the code?

I can get the exact codes shortly.

Anything helps, thanks.

Auto part Engine Automotive engine part Vehicle
Tire Auto part

·
Premium Member
16,201 Posts
I don't have a 3.8 so my guess is there is a seal or gasket that needs to be replaced.

I would also check valve timing to see if the timing chain needs to be replaced, since as you started, it has 130,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thanks for the reply. I ended up booking my car in and got some brutal feedback....
Text Font

The car is actually at 130xxx KMs not miles so this is disappointing to say the least...

My cousin is a mechanic and said it’s possible not all of those things need replacement and the tech could be trying for more money due to the slow down with everything going on but I’m not quite sure what’s required and what may be recommended to be replaced. I’ll be going in tomorrow to speak with the tech in person.

·
Premium Member
16,201 Posts
cam phaser, I'm assuming means the oil/cam solenoid for the CVVT.
AFAIK you can change it yourself without getting into the engine.

head gasket would only need to be replaced if the head was removed.
They didn't mention head bolts, which make me suspicious. head bolts are not to be reused.
Water pump gasket - if the timing chain needs to be chained, I can see that, but you would typically replace just the gasket if it was removed, with less than 50k miles.
Otherwise the pump would be replaced (includes gasket normally)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi.
How did you fix it?
Goes well now?

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk Pro
Typically you would want to start with taking your valve covers off and replacing both from ocv and maybe the rear jusr to be safe ( these sensors are inside the valve cover case). Change those out first to see if that fixes the problem since that’s way easier than changing out the chain. If not. Then replace timing chain and everything in the kit, get all the water pump gaskets, get some grey rtv for the timing cover, and lastly you will need new coolant and oil. :) it’s most certainly a great weekend crisis to do.

·
Registered
Genesis coupe 3.8
31 Posts
Typically you would want to start with taking your valve covers off and replacing both from ocv and maybe the rear jusr to be safe ( these sensors are inside the valve cover case). Change those out first to see if that fixes the problem since that’s way easier than changing out the chain. If not. Then replace timing chain and everything in the kit, get all the water pump gaskets, get some grey rtv for the timing cover, and lastly you will need new coolant and oil. :) it’s most certainly a great weekend crisis to do.
Thanks!!!

Well...
Mechanics opened engine and they saw there was two teeth moved on the chain.
They have check chain, tensioners and all....
They say all is ok.!
Now the car goes ok. 2000kms without problems..

Maybe last owner changed chains and leave them out of timing..

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thanks!!!

Well...
Mechanics opened engine and they saw there was two teeth moved on the chain.
They have check chain, tensioners and all....
They say all is ok.!
Now the car goes ok. 2000kms without problems..

Maybe last owner changed chains and leave them out of timing..

That’s good to hear. Let’s hope he did time they right. As always watch out for those codes and I think you should be fine .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't have a 3.8 so my guess is there is a seal or gasket that needs to be replaced.

I would also check valve timing to see if the timing chain needs to be replaced, since as you started, it has 130,000 miles on it.
By any chance do you know or anybody know the part number for the seals?

·
Registered
5 Posts
No. I'm not sure that AKGC is correct, being that he knows the 2.0 much better. But I'll look into it. My exhaust ocv has the same oil and gunk covering it and I have the P0024/25 code. Just took it to the dealership. Said need timing chains/positioners, exhaust ocv, new cam phasers and all 4 camshafts replaced....all for the low low price of $4800. Needless to say I chuckled and walked out. At the most, I'll do the chain kit, ocv, and cam phaser.

·
Premium Member
16,201 Posts
No. I'm not sure that AKGC is correct, being that he knows the 2.0 much better. But I'll look into it. My exhaust ocv has the same oil and gunk covering it and I have the P0024/25 code. Just took it to the dealership. Said need timing chains/positioners, exhaust ocv, new cam phasers and all 4 camshafts replaced....all for the low low price of $4800. Needless to say I chuckled and walked out. At the most, I'll do the chain kit, ocv, and cam phaser.
What I meant by "seals" are the silicone seals for the connectors in the original post.
engine oil has conductive trace elements. Meaning it can throw sensor readings off a little if oil gets into the connector.
What I said isn't "engine" specific.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah sorry man you're right. I've been looking at so many posts lately, and I read one of yours from 4 years ago that said the OCV was a metal screen (referring to the 2.0). Guess I mixed the two up.

·
Premium Member
16,201 Posts
Yeah sorry man you're right. I've been looking at so many posts lately, and I read one of yours from 4 years ago that said the OCV was a metal screen (referring to the 2.0). Guess I mixed the two up.
That's an OCV filter.

OCV stands for oil control valve.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts