Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working with a dealer to in an attempt to buy the only 2010 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Grand Touring around. The 2010 is extremely appealing to me because it has a manual and a sunroof.

However, lately, I've been reading about the problems with the manual on the 2010 models, and it's starting to scare me off. It's going to be my daily driver so reliability is incredibly important.

Unfortunately, manual is not an option with the 2011 Grand Touring model. So, I'm starting to consider the unthinkable, going with a 2011 automatic Grand Touring model.

Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
539 Posts
I have a 2011 Grand Touring because I needed something that other people in the house could drive in case it was the only car left at home -____- but I'm kind of glad I didn't get the manual after hearing about all the problems, if the problems are fixed for the 2012 refresh I may just trade in for a 2012 track depending on how much it'll cost because I realized that no one in my house wants to drive my Genesis Coupe.
At this point, if I was you I'd wait for the 2012 refresh, but plenty of people on here have the manual and aren't complaining that much about it, I guess you get used to it.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I've driven manuals since the 1960's

and really did not like the feel of the GC's stick. The question of reliability is on top of that. I went with the automatic on my 3.8 and am pleased with it. Test drive a BMW 128i stick to see what a good state of the art manual feels like.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input. I decided to tell the dealer to pass on it. I'm sure the vast majority of people with manuals are doing just fine, but the 5th gear grind does seem to a prevalent problem, unfortunately, there's no hard statistic to show how prevalent. Since I usually have pretty bad luck, I have a feeling that I'll be one of those people cursed with the 5th gear grind and it'll pop up during my 500 mile drive home.

I guess I'll go with plan b and lease an auto Grand Touring model to see how i like the transmission on it. Test drive isn't enough, I really need to live with it for a few months to see if I'm going to like it or not.

·
GenSport Carolinas
3,001 Posts
Get the Track edition. On the GT, Other than the backup notification, your paying for items that don't do much for the value/performance for your car. The Brembos and limited slip diff is worth the extra money you'll pay for the Track package.

I love my manual. I get more control over the car without the computer telling me when to shift (which happens in the auto even with the paddles). I guess it depends on how you'll be driving your car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought about getting a 3.8 Track since I can just stick on a set of aftermarket parking sensors. I do want the limited slip, but at the same time, I don't really want the track suspension. There are some local streets that are pretty tore up and the ride was pretty rough when I used to drive a Civic Si. I also take a lot of long trips, and I think that the sports suspension is better for long drives that track suspension in general. I remember that my friend who was on a long trip with the Civic Si complained that his back was stiff because the suspension gave a bumpy ride. Also, I'm not going to track the car for sure, strictly going to be a daily driver on the street. In the end, I know that I'll have to test drive to find out for myself. What I definitely will do is see what changes are made for 2012 and then decide what to do from there. I just may end up getting CPO 2010 Grand Touring Genesis Coupe or a different car altogether since I don't know what I want. Every day, I lust after a different car...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts