Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has about 85k miles on it. Original owner. No mods except interior LED lights. Sorry, I know I suck.

The issue.
The car sounds like a ding dang vacuum cleaner!
From searching the forums, it is either the fuel pump, vacuum hose from turbo, or the stereo.
The stereo whining I already know about. Whenever I use an AUX cable it makes that sound. So, strike that.

Any ideas on how to determine which one it is?

The car does not perform any better or worse, no loss of power (that I can tell), just a super loud squeal.
It is embarrassing and all my friends make fun of me (ok, not really.).

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
16,010 Posts
maybe the accessory belt?
This usually whines when it gets old.

If the whine happens when idling then it's easy to tell.
take a photo of how the belt is snaked around the pulleys.
take the belt off.
run the engine for like 15 seconds.

If no sound, then it's either the belt or one of the pulleys.
belt should replaced anyways because of the miles on it.
With new belt, if the whine is still there, then it's one of the pulleys

·
Advenio Pariter
3,953 Posts
I had two idler pulleys go. I am at over 133k miles now. When the bearings go they sound like a vacuum cleaner and whirs with RPM changes.

Remove your serpentine belt.
Manually spin the pulleys.
If you feel any roughness that bearing is shot. I will bet money this is the problem.
They do not cost much and are easy to change. With your mileage I would also put on a new belt too..

Good luck

·
Advenio Pariter
3,953 Posts
It could be a bad bearing on your alternator. If so, you likely have to replace the entire unit. Rock Auto is your friend. HOWEVER, please remove the belt and manually rotate the pulleys on the serpentine circuit. Any roughness is a bad bearing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks! And wow! Rock Auto is amazing. Would you recommend an OEM or would one of the cheaper ones be an acceptable replacement? Is this something I could do myself? I could definitely remove the serpentine belt and whatnot. Looks like there are only a couple of bolts. Are there any good step-by-step guides for replace the alternator on a 2.0T?

·
I'd rather do it myself
19,297 Posts
I would take the belt off and start the car. Listen to see if the whine has disappeared. If it has then spin the idler and tensioner bearings. There should be a slight drag to them when you spin them by hand and no noise. Same with the alt. You will feel the bad bearing by spinning by hand.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great info. I'll give this a try and decide the best course of action based on the results. Wish me luck! I assume the idler pully and tensioner are cheaper and easier to replace than the alternator?

·
I'd rather do it myself
19,297 Posts
Yes the bearings are very easy to replace. 15mm for the bearings and a 17 mm for the tensioner. Just did this myself yesterday for a belt inspection. And the belt won't need replaced just because it has cracks on the drive side. But when the cracks start to chunk out is when it should be replaced or if it's slipping.

Take a picture of the belt routing first.

·
Advenio Pariter
3,953 Posts
To remove the belt you just rotate the tensioner with a wrench and the belt slips. Like Red says take a picture or draw a picture by hand to get the routing correct. I replace my belts at 60k miles, though I believe they are supposed to last to 100k miles. To me this a cheap preventive maintenance. If you are driving and you shred one you lose: water pump, alternator, power steering pump and of course the A/C. The latter will be the least of your worries. Without a water pump and alternator you will be pulling over immediately. Just rotate the pulleys. If one feels like it has grit in it that is the culprit.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Like others have suggested, it sounds like your idler pulleys. Mine sounded exactly the same when they went. I bought two for 15.99 each at Autozone and got them replaced in 10 mins. Here's a diagram of the belt I found from another thread thanks to @Red Raspberry

1 - 13 of 13 Posts