Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking but can't find a post that describes the year to year differences if anyone can point me to a thread or list them !

I'm looking at 10-12 as they are half the price of the 13 but buddy of mine stated a lot of upgrades were done to the 13 and up !

Plan was to do pistons and rods a stock frame bigger turbo and intake dp and exhaust as a daily driver car

·
Advenio Pariter
3,964 Posts
I love my 2011, but go with a 2013 and up. The 2.0 has better internals and the interior on all the models is better. They tweaked the suspension too. Yes, the 2013+ is a better vehicle. But...the V6 is DI which I am not fond of, but that is a personal opinion.

·
Registered
325 Posts
If you are looking to buy a 2.0 turbo Genesis Coupe, then without question you should be looking at 2013+ "BK2" cars. The four cylinder turbo engine was dramatically improved in the BK2 cars. You will get a lot more out of a BK2 turbo car with simple "bolt-on" modifications than you will from a BK1 turbo car. As a value proposition, the BK2 is the clear winner despite the higher prices.

With V6 Genesis Coupes I will argue it gets more hazy. The BK2 V6 engines are not radically different from the BK1 V6es, with the only real change being direct injection. I think the 2010-2012 Genesis Coupe V6 M/T is a great used sports car option, especially since so many people think those cars have "transmission problems" that are really just bad drivetrain mounts.

Since you're talking 4-cylinder turbo cars though, it's a no-brainer. Go BK2 all the way.

·
Registered
782 Posts
If your plans are big turbo and engine build, you can start with the 10-12 then. BK2 2.0t has updates that help it gain power over the BK1, and especially in terms of boltons, but the BK2 benefits and price you pay for these changes will be negated once you do big stuff. Plus I think tuning options for BK1 are alot better.

The nice part of the BK2 is they did do changes to the interior fit and finish and that does help not feel so cheap inside.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Yea, thomas makes a good point here. If you are going balls-out with all new engine internals, big turbo, etc then you might as well go BK1. That is especially true when it comes to big-power tuning solutions. You can get a Haltec ECU right off the shelf that is plug-and-play with the BK1 turbo cars. That would open you up to dozens of great tuners all across the USA instead of being stuck with the very limited number of tuners (three?) who are able to work with the OEM ECU.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
I love my 2011, but go with a 2013 and up. The 2.0 has better internals and the interior on all the models is better. They tweaked the suspension too. Yes, the 2013+ is a better vehicle. But...the V6 is DI which I am not fond of, but that is a personal opinion.
We bought our Coupe last month and just took it to Valvoline Instant Lube for an intake cleaning. Cuts the crap off the intakes and blows it out the tail pipe.
Yes, I know that Seafoam cures everything including cancer, but I've learned to trust the guys at Ashland Oil. They've been at it for 150 years.:grin:

·
Registered
8 Posts
To sum it up, if you’re looking for a optimum choice for going boost. Then you want the BK2, not only is it better, the engine was literally re worked for boosting. If you want a V6 that kills gas like a V8 depending on how heavy your foot is then the BK1 is an ideal choice if price is a issue. Don’t get me wrong the GDI in the BK2 is a little higher in the HP and TRQ range but I prefer the BK1 Front end over the BK2 but I really love the interior and tail lights from the BK2 more.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts