Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Automotive Photographer
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having some issue after letting the Gen sit over winter. She will not start. Video will give greater detail to the symptoms she's having. Completely baffled at this point. http://youtu.be/twQIi3_Rmfw

If anyone has any insight, please chime in with anything other than "take it to the dealer". Looking for some real tech help, such as which pins to test on the starter button for continuity, etc. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
549 Posts
Tried to view the video but it came up "private"
Not sure how much I'll be able to help, lol, I can get access to a shop manual at work tomorrow if needed

·
Automotive Photographer
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, just updated video permissions. Try it now.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Try checking for any blown fuses if you havent already, specifically the memory/transport fuse under the dash - if your car doesnt have an on/off switch there should be a clip holding 2 fuses. If the clip isn't fully pressed in or a fuse is blown, you'd get the problem you're having. I had something similar to this happen on a push-start vehicle last year and corrosion on a ground wire shorted out the fuse, the symptoms are identical to what I saw from your video. I wouldn't suspect a starter issue at this point, I hope that maybe narrows it down for you as to what to look into next.

·
Automotive Photographer
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That was one of the first things I did in searching for potential causes, replaced the fuse just in case, still no positive effect.

Just took apart the starter button, cleaned up the internal contacts. All solder joints on the chip look fine. It lights up blue as it did in the video. No change. Do you remember what ground wire was giving issue?

·
Registered
549 Posts
That was one of the first things I did in searching for potential causes, replaced the fuse just in case, still no positive effect.

Just took apart the starter button, cleaned up the internal contacts. All solder joints on the chip look fine. It lights up blue as it did in the video. No change. Do you remember what ground wire was giving issue?
The car I worked on was an Optima and there were wires running under the plastic foot plate (not sure of the exact technical term for it) that runs along the side of the vehicle. Moisture got underneath the plastic piece and eventually shorted out the wires. I'd start with checking the engine grounds under the hood before tearing apart interior pieces, especially if your car was stored outside. I'm also wondering if the key might need reprogramming, because to me your car just isn't recognizing it. Almost like it needs to be paired to the vehicle again. Good luck!

·
Automotive Photographer
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I also thought this, but according to my former boss, Tech and Hyundai Service manager the fobs don't lose their programming. Mine will still beep when the unlock button is hit. Nothing else works though.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I also thought this, but according to my former boss, Tech and Hyundai Service manager the fobs don't lose their programming. Mine will still beep when the unlock button is hit. Nothing else works though.
Shoot, I wish I could be of more help! I might run this by the head tech tomorrow and see what he thinks. Do you have anyone around who could try to listen for the starter relay clicking when you try to start it?

·
Super Moderator
40,498 Posts
When you step on the brake pedal, do your brake lights illuminate?

·
Automotive Photographer
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep. Again, brake switch isn't an issue. Thanks though. Can anyone tell me where the transmission park sensor is located? That's my next possible lead. Wish I had a FSM!

·
Automotive Photographer
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Shoot, I wish I could be of more help! I might run this by the head tech tomorrow and see what he thinks. Do you have anyone around who could try to listen for the starter relay clicking when you try to start it?
It's not even getting to start point. There is no accessory power.

·
I'd rather do it myself
18,466 Posts
Yep. Again, brake switch isn't an issue. Thanks though. Can anyone tell me where the transmission park sensor is located? That's my next possible lead. Wish I had a FSM!
More than likely on top of the trans. Look for a multi wire connector.

·
Automotive Photographer
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fixed. Turned out to be the Antenna Module, or some corrosion in the connector harness causing a short. Cleaned up corrosion, replaced Antenna module. Thanks everyone for their suggestions!

·
Registered
549 Posts
Glad to hear she's fixed!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can you please explain this a little more I am having the exact same problem right now and I’ve taken all the steps you have. I just googled the antenna module and I can’t seem to find anything except the antenna assembly. What exactly did you fix? Thanks!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts