Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

So this is a two part question, now that its colder out when i let the car warm up, it doesnt like going into gear. What fluid are you guys using in winter months to help with this? Ive searched and havent been able to find the answer.

I also have an abnormally low grab point in my clutch it grabs after i barely let the peddle off the ground. Clutch has been bled multiple times and there is no air in the line. It has been this was for roughly 50k miles. I have a ACT Streetlite flywheel, and a ACT HD Performance street clutch. I'm thinking about replacing the master cylinder and trying to track down an adjustable clutch rod so i can change where it grabs. There doesnt seem to be any leaks from the slave cylinder or from the master but the slave was replaced when the new clutch went in. Its been that way since. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Mike.

·
Registered
325 Posts
No idea on the bite point issue. We run your exact same setup on Project Hoondy (ACT streetlight flywheel and HD clutch) and have never experienced that problem, so it isn't specific to those ACT parts.

As for the fluid, we swear by AC Delco 10-4014. It's called "Friction Modified Synchromesh Manual Transmission Fluid" and was developed specifically for GM's problematic NV1500 and NV3550 transmissions. It is well-known for smoothing the shift-action in other, non-GM transmissions; especially in Hondas and Mazdas. AC Delco 10-4014 is quite thin, about the same viscosity as 5W-30 motor oil, which puts it right in the butter-zone for GenCoupe manual transmissions. This makes it well-suited to cold-weather use as well.

On Project Hoondy, we blend two quarts of AC Delco 10-4014 with four ounces of concentrated Calcium Petroleum Sulfonate which is available as a product called "Oil Extreme Concentrate." This gives the oil mix additional extreme-pressure tolerance which is handy when you enjoy cluck-kicks as much as we do.

Good luck, happy tuning!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome, ill have to get some of the syncromesh, where do you get that oil extreme concentrate? I do frequently enjoy some good clutch kicks. I just want my clutch to be easier to feather. Im getting into track events this year so i'm trying to set everything up accordingly. Do you know what slave cylinder you guys used?

Thanks for all your help!

·
Registered
325 Posts
The manufacturing process for Oil Extreme Concentrate is a super-proprietary, jealously guarded secret. Therefore it is sold through strictly limited channels as well. For the most part you can only get it straight from the manufacturer's own website:

shop.oilextreme.com

It's jolly expensive, but a little goes a long way. You use one ounce per quart in short-interval fluids like engine oil and up to two ounces per quart in long-interval fluid like trans or diff oil along with racing and other maximum load applications.

We used a completely bog-standard OEM slave cylinder. In fact, it was a leaking slave cylinder that caused us to do a clutch swap at all. I did a pretty comprehensive write-up about it at the time over on Opposite Lock:

Perils of the Cream Puff

I really don't know about getting the clutch to feather more easily. Maybe consider your brake fluid? As bizarre as it sounds, I've had a fluid swap improve the feel of a hydraulic clutch in the past. My only other theory is that semi-metallic ACT clutches are tough as nails. Ours felt very tight and grabby at first. Only after seriously beating the dog-piss out of it several times did it start to soften up into a nice, daily-drivable clutch pedal.

GLHT

·
I'd rather do it myself
19,583 Posts
Being able to slip the clutch depends on the clutch disc. I could not slip my CC Kevlar clutch I had. It was on or off. The OE BK2 clutch is a very nice improvement you can slip if you want.

I know of no way to change the engagement point without a clutch rod kit, unless the slave is bad. A braided clutch fluid line would help a bit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts