Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience rebuilding the 2.0 Theta II engine on a manual 2012 Genesis Coupe. Wondering how difficult this would be to achieve and what the cost would be. Basically, I'm going to look at a Genesis tomorrow, and the seller was forthright and admitted that he blown the engine doing donuts. I imagine (I'm very new to this) that the seller blown a cylinder or a head gasket. He stated that the car runs right now but barely. I want to take this project on and I'm wondering what sort of issues I can expect. I haven't got the OBD codes yet, but there's 81,000 miles on the chassis and it's a clean Florida title so I wont be dealing with any rust.

Any suggestions on what I should offer for this car would also be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
177 Posts
most of these 2.0's spin a rod bearing, so u can expect the crank to require work or need replacement, and at minimum bearings, and probably a rod.
seems most of these genesis owners dont know much about cars so they usually really tear stuff up by trying to limp it around or keep trying to start it. so its likely going to require more than the minimum

·
Premium Member
16,498 Posts
Hey guys,

I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience rebuilding the 2.0 Theta II engine on a manual 2012 Genesis Coupe. Wondering how difficult this would be to achieve and what the cost would be. Basically, I'm going to look at a Genesis tomorrow, and the seller was forthright and admitted that he blown the engine doing donuts. I imagine (I'm very new to this) that the seller blown a cylinder or a head gasket. He stated that the car runs right now but barely. I want to take this project on and I'm wondering what sort of issues I can expect. I haven't got the OBD codes yet, but there's 81,000 miles on the chassis and it's a clean Florida title so I wont be dealing with any rust.

Any suggestions on what I should offer for this car would also be appreciated.

Thanks!
If it's just a head gasket, it's fairly easy.

As a rudimentary test, unplug the fuel injectors and then crank the engine for a few seconds.
It shouldn't sound strange, just an engine cranking over.

Also look for any excess oil outside of the engine.
drain some of the oil and look for any sparklely stuff in the oil... if you see it, walk away.

On the BK1, they have weak connecting rods, so if a rod did snap... then walk away.

"IF" it's just a head gasket, then it might be a good deal. If there is anything else wrong with the engine, walk away.
Finding a decent replacement block for these cars is going to be mighty difficult, since the RWD 2.0T engines were only made for 4~5 years.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I built a spare block that had a trashed crank and had to buy a new one. I started sourcing parts just before covid hit. I did a full forged build with a built head as well. Had the block reinforcement done by Cylinder support system first then I had the machine shop balance the rotating assy with k1 rods and 86.5mm manley pistons with king race bearings. They assembled the bottom end I did full final assy and install my self and it ran me roughly $5,500. if you didn't build the head and didnt do the css I think you could rebuild it for around $3500-$4000. If you were doing an oem plus build possibly cheaper with oem rods and pistons but id just upgrade to at least BK2 rods.

My build consisted of K1 rods, Manley pistons, new timing set, new oil pump, new water pump, Super tech valves, bc springs and retainers complete gasket set and new valve buckets. GSP bronze valve guides, Brand new oem Hyundai crank. Block reinforced by Cylinder support system.

·
Premium Member
16,498 Posts
I built a spare block that had a trashed crank and had to buy a new one. I started sourcing parts just before covid hit. I did a full forged build with a built head as well. Had the block reinforcement done by Cylinder support system first then I had the machine shop balance the rotating assy with k1 rods and 86.5mm manley pistons with king race bearings. They assembled the bottom end I did full final assy and install my self and it ran me roughly $5,500. if you didn't build the head and didnt do the css I think you could rebuild it for around $3500-$4000. If you were doing an oem plus build possibly cheaper with oem rods and pistons but id just upgrade to at least BK2 rods.

My build consisted of K1 rods, Manley pistons, new timing set, new oil pump, new water pump, Super tech valves, bc springs and retainers complete gasket set and new valve buckets. GSP bronze valve guides, Brand new oem Hyundai crank. Block reinforced by Cylinder support system.
IMO block reinforcement is a bit overkill... because of the derp derp way they designed the intake manifold. If i had to guess, its about 80% the reason why #3 #4 cylinders window on there engines... rear cylinders alway run lean.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts