Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!

I'm Tommy. I'm in LA and I'm currently driving a stock 2012 2T Auto with 82,000 miles. I want to take my car to drift night events to get into the sport. I'm trying to educate myself but I'm finding a lack of resources that pertain to my ride.

I've have been using the search function of the site with some trouble. I see almost decade old articles where the advice amounts to 'Scandanavian Flick' and 'youll burn the tranny'. I'm seeking the most current info for proper set up - should I be pulling ABS fuses? etc. as well as proper technique. I've also read over the modding guide in the new members forum and didnt see much on the topic.

Would anybody be able to point to some resources or able to drop some advice to get my on the right path?

Thanks yall!

·
Premium Member
15,695 Posts
Hey everyone!

I'm Tommy. I'm in LA and I'm currently driving a stock 2012 2T Auto with 82,000 miles. I want to take my car to drift night events to get into the sport. I'm trying to educate myself but I'm finding a lack of resources that pertain to my ride.

I've have been using the search function of the site with some trouble. I see almost decade old articles where the advice amounts to 'Scandanavian Flick' and 'youll burn the tranny'. I'm seeking the most current info for proper set up - should I be pulling ABS fuses? etc. as well as proper technique. I've also read over the modding guide in the new members forum and didnt see much on the topic.

Would anybody be able to point to some resources or able to drop some advice to get my on the right path?

Thanks yall!
Have you drifter before?
Since it's an auto, you won't be able to clutch kick it.
"burning up the tranny" is referring to using the hand brake to initiate the drift. So don't do it.
I suggest looking up youtube tutorials . The general principles of how to drift are pretty much the same on most FR platforms.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for reaching out AKGC!
I have tried drifting with this car but it was unsuccessful. I ebraked into the corners to initiate the slide and never really broke traction and wasnt sliding much. I ended up having to replace my master cyclinder and want to avoid that mess again. My tires are relatively new. Should I consider a pair of slicks for the back? This car is my DD and all I have to work with/on at the moment. I'm trying to ensure I don't blow anything on it.

I have seen YT vids of automatic drifting where they speak of taking out the ABS fuses on an auto Mustang and wondered if anybody had anymore insight into any advice on that. Basically, a guide to getting this car into the best shape possible to explore some drifting? Is it doable?

·
Advenio Pariter
3,909 Posts
I believe most drift cars have both a manual transmission and a limited slip differential. I would think an auto and an open diff would be difficult, but I am NOT an expert in any way regarding that. In the snow I have no problems drifting, but that is not the same. The 5AT is a pretty good transmission, but you might think about a drain and fill on it. Not difficult. I have a write-up or two for that on this forum. I have done three drain and fills plus added an external filter and at 132k miles my transmission still feels and shifts like new. Something to think about.

·
Premium Member
15,695 Posts
Thanks for reaching out AKGC!
I have tried drifting with this car but it was unsuccessful. I ebraked into the corners to initiate the slide and never really broke traction and wasnt sliding much. I ended up having to replace my master cyclinder and want to avoid that mess again. My tires are relatively new. Should I consider a pair of slicks for the back? This car is my DD and all I have to work with/on at the moment. I'm trying to ensure I don't blow anything on it.

I have seen YT vids of automatic drifting where they speak of taking out the ABS fuses on an auto Mustang and wondered if anybody had anymore insight into any advice on that. Basically, a guide to getting this car into the best shape possible to explore some drifting? Is it doable?
If you still have the old tires, I would put the old tires on the rear wheels. This will make it easier to slide the rear.
I have to ask, for obvious reasons... do you turn off traction control, before you practice sliding?
Also 82,000 miles? When was the last time the engine timing was checked? because I would suggest replacing the timing chain, before doing anything that involves having the engine stay at redline. It might seem like a lot of work, but it's a hell of a lot less than having to replace the whole engine.

To be general, there are 2 main parts in a drift:
Initiating the drift
and maintaining the drift

There are more than 1 ways to do either.

Initiating a drift
Since you have and open diff automatic, this narrows the different ways to start a slide. Like, what I said in the earlier post, you don't have a clutch, so you can't clutch kick.
- main point to initiating a slide, is to disrupt/break traction to the rear wheels while starting a turn.

There is hand braking while you are starting to turn (don't do this since you have an automatic). What this does, is LOCK UP the rear wheels to break traction.
This works because... think of when someone does a burnout, the drive wheels continue to spin and causes a lot of smoke. This is because the rubber is literally vaporizing (turning into literal smoke)
Same thing happens when you lock up the wheels to a small degree, the tire is sliding on vaporized rubber. Basically the same thing happens when clutch kicking.

There's the "Scandanavian flick" -
This is where... says you have a left corner. You steer right for a split second, then turn left to start the slide.
What this does, is it weight transfers to the front right wheel, this wheel have the most traction, while the rear left wheel will have the least.
To practice this, find an OPEN space that they will allow you to use. Try to "spin out" (reason why I said OPEN space) to get a feel for it.
Whatever you use to try to spin out, the beginning part is basically how to start a drift.

Maintaining a drift
Once you are use to starting a slide, you'll want to maintain it.
Let split this up with what happens with your hands and feet, separately.
Feet -
Since you have an automatic, the only real way I can suggest is throttle steering. It's as it sounds, steering using your foot.
Once you are comfortable with spinning out, add throttle maybe 1/4 to 1/2 throttle as the car starts to spin out.
if you maintain throttle, the car will start to do donuts... This is where "hands" comes in.

Hand -
During the start of the slide, you'll want to counter steer. Because everybody is different, I suggest you practice doing donuts.
Say you are doing donuts turning left (counter clockwise), turn the steering wheel slightly to the right as you are doing a donut.
The diameter of the "donut" you are doing will begin to get bigger. You can feather the throttle and steering angles to get a "feel" of how to maintain a drift.

·
Premium Member
15,695 Posts
In short,

practice spinning out, to learn how to initiate a slide.

practice doing donuts...
countersteer and throttle steer to make wider donuts.

then put it together.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In short,

practice spinning out, to learn how to initiate a slide.

practice doing donuts...
countersteer and throttle steer to make wider donuts.

then put it together.
I appreciate the thorough tutorial. Thank you so much for that. Is there any alternatives or maybe better techniques to using the handbrake to break traction? If I didnt put slicks in the back, it feels like I could never slide well with the current set up.

·
Premium Member
15,695 Posts
I appreciate the thorough tutorial. Thank you so much for that. Is there any alternatives or maybe better techniques to using the handbrake to break traction? If I didnt put slicks in the back, it feels like I could never slide well with the current set up.
slicks in the rear would make sliding harder.

If you have the base model, you can get a replace the rear sway bar with an oem 2010-2012 track/r-spec rear sway bar.
It will make it easier to slide out the rear... Some have said that it makes it too easy, to the point of making it uncontrollable to maintain a drift...
My car is all stock, suspension-wise, except having an OEM rear Track sway bar. I haven't had an issue with spinning out. I've had my car for 11 years and daily it in Alaska.

Also, I would highly suggest check the engine timing and/or replacing the timing chain.
Timing chains wear out. If you're lucky and something breaks, it would just be and engine/head rebuild, and you would still need to change the timing chain anyways.
If not lucky, your engine will blow up, meaning big hole in the side of the engine. It's already hard enough to find a replacement 2.0 engine, since the genesis coupe 2.0 has been out of production for like 5 or 6 years now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
slicks in the rear would make sliding harder.

If you have the base model, you can get a replace the rear sway bar with an oem 2010-2012 track/r-spec rear sway bar.
It will make it easier to slide out the rear... Some have said that it makes it too easy, to the point of making it uncontrollable to maintain a drift...
My car is all stock, suspension-wise, except having an OEM rear Track sway bar. I haven't had an issue with spinning out. I've had my car for 11 years and daily it in Alaska.

Also, I would highly suggest check the engine timing and/or replacing the timing chain.
Timing chains wear out. If you're lucky and something breaks, it would just be and engine/head rebuild, and you would still need to change the timing chain anyways.
If not lucky, your engine will blow up, meaning big hole in the side of the engine. It's already hard enough to find a replacement 2.0 engine, since the genesis coupe 2.0 has been out of production for like 5 or 6 years now.
I dig it. Ive never spun out, I just cant seem to break traction. Traction control is always off when attempting to slide so yea. How do I break traction if I cant use the hand brake? Is the 2t not powerful enough?

·
Advenio Pariter
3,909 Posts
I dig it. Ive never spun out, I just cant seem to break traction. Traction control is always off when attempting to slide so yea. How do I break traction if I cant use the hand brake? Is the 2t not powerful enough?
Hit the gas. My 2.0 can break traction when I want it to. Find a big empty parking lot, like at a school, and practice a bit. That is how I taught my daughter winter driving after a good snow before she had her license.

·
Premium Member
15,695 Posts
If you can't intentionally spin out (in a safe open area), then I can't help you

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you can't intentionally spin out (in a safe open area), then I can't help you
On a drift course, I have never spun out into the walls/dirt/grass or went a full 180. If I go nuts with the throttle around corners, I skid, but its not a maintainable/controllable slide. That's why I mentioned I was pulling the Ebrake to try and corner/angle better and it didn't work out well and had to replace my master cylinder.

When doing donuts, I absolutely spin out. I DO have trouble maintaining the donuts-so yes, im here to learn if anyone has advice or could point to their fave vid tutorial.

Controlling the slide seems to be equal part technique and part set up.

The question ultimately becomes: is there anything I can do to optimize the set up, in this car, to begin working on the technigue? I have yet to test this but - would keeping it in manual shift mode help? (I know it still auto shifts down when coming to a stop) Are there an sensors pulls etc. that would help in stretching out the slide?

·
Premium Member
15,695 Posts
On a drift course, I have never spun out into the walls/dirt/grass or went a full 180. If I go nuts with the throttle around corners, I skid, but its not a maintainable/controllable slide. That's why I mentioned I was pulling the Ebrake to try and corner/angle better and it didn't work out well and had to replace my master cylinder.

When doing donuts, I absolutely spin out. I DO have trouble maintaining the donuts-so yes, im here to learn if anyone has advice or could point to their fave vid tutorial.

Controlling the slide seems to be equal part technique and part set up.

The question ultimately becomes: is there anything I can do to optimize the set up, in this car, to begin working on the technigue? I have yet to test this but - would keeping it in manual shift mode help? (I know it still auto shifts down when coming to a stop) Are there an sensors pulls etc. that would help in stretching out the slide?
The Master cylinder has nothing to do with the Hand brake. For the most part, it's totally separate from the rest of the braking system.
The hand brake pulls a cable that engages the shoes for the drum brakes in the hat of the rear brake rotors. The hand brake is not part of the hydraulic braking system.
So I have no idea why you think the hand brake is the reason why the master cylinder failed. If anything, using the hand brake while there is power going to the drive wheels, is going to wear out the transmission.

And I find it kind of troubling that with as many miles there are on your engine, and that you want to go drifting (high load on engine), that there is no response as to my suggestion to replace the timing chain. The timing chain wears out, and on the BK1 2.0 it's been know to wear out faster than expected. It basically tells the engine how to breath.
If/when the timing is off because of excessive wear or timing decides to skip teeth, worst case scenario: you're going have to find a new engine; best case: you're going to have to rebuild the whole engine, including the whole valvetrain. And if you think you don't have the money to change it... think of how much more money, you're going to need to find a new engine or rebuild the it, to have the car useable again.
Plus think of it this way, some of the lost HP may be regained by doing this.

You can read and watch all you want, but you can't feel how to drift, through a wall a text.
My best advices in this case, is to ride along at a drift event with someone, and/or practice, practice, practice.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
After that drift night, the brake issue began. When I went in for service the brake pedal was to the floor and not engaging, the mechanic cameback with telling me the issue was the master cyclinder. Could have been suckered maybe, idk. Dig it on the timing chain necessity. Thank you for taking the time to inform, I truly appreciate it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Idk man. Even with my stock 2011 2.0 AT with new tires I can get it to slide fairly easily when turning on brand new asphalt. Even easier on worn out road or concrete. It's not powerful but if you stick it in 2nd or 3rd and use weight transfer it will break traction. I find my biggest issue in maintaining a slide is the open diff - if you have an open diff that might be your issue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Idk man. Even with my stock 2011 2.0 AT with new tires I can get it to slide fairly easily when turning on brand new asphalt. Even easier on worn out road or concrete. It's not powerful but if you stick it in 2nd or 3rd and use weight transfer it will break traction. I find my biggest issue in maintaining a slide is the open diff - if you have an open diff that might be your issue.
Absolutely, I agree with the diff being the issue. Do you know anyone with an auto that has welded their diff?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts