Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, I plan on doing a timing chain job on my 3.8, I have a picture of all the parts that I will be replacing. I have the manual so i can see that the timing job is not that bad but my only question refers to the CVVT and the intake cams. when i replace the intake cams and the CVVT gears, is it ok that the engine is at TDC? i heard i can bend the valves if i do that and that it’s best to have all the pistons in the middle.

So if i follow the manual i would have the old chain off and all the old tensioners and guides off with the engine at TDC. The next thing to replace would be the 4 CVVT gears and the 2 intake cams.

·
I'd rather do it myself
19,184 Posts
Being at TDC, when you install the cam in the correct orientation you are pushing down the valves at the right time so there should be no piston/valve handshakes.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Maybe a dumb question to ask but I will ask anyways. I know the timing chain kit is Necessary to change at high mileage, while I also am replacing the water pump in the process. Do I have to replace the cvvt like you do? Is there known wear for those parts to go out prematurely?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe a dumb question to ask but I will ask anyways. I know the timing chain kit is Necessary to change at high mileage, while I also am replacing the water pump in the process. Do I have to replace the cvvt like you do? Is there known wear for those parts to go out prematurely?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You do not necessarily need to do it, but it is good preventative maintenance. Usually if you hear a rattle for a few seconds on cold starts, it is the CVVT that is making the noise. The inside mechanism of the actuator wears down and the pin does not stay locked in so that is the noise you hear until oil pressure builds up and snaps it in place. So to answer your question, no you don't need to do it, but it is good measure to do it while you have the engine open.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I need to do this too. I wonder if you’ll still hear the rattle after completing the job. Do you hear a start up rattle after your car sits?

·
I'd rather do it myself
19,184 Posts
What I would worry about with a worn chain is the cam sprockets being worn too. At 100k mine were not. A worn chain sprocket will have sharp teeth.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts