Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
78,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Filed under: Coupe, Budget, Hybrid, Sedan, Honda

2012 Honda Civic Si - Click above for high-res image gallery

That's right, this is the 2012 Honda Civic in all its glory. Though it might be difficult to tell with just a casual glance, this Civic is brand-new, sharing practically nothing but its moniker with the previous generation. As much as we may have liked some additional visual flair, it seems Honda is being conservative and aiming right for the heart of the market with five separate and distinct flavors of its compact offering.

We'll start with the all-new HF model, which, as you may have guessed, is the most fuel efficient of the non-hybridized Civics that will be available in the United States. Honda expects the HF, with its 1.8-liter i-VTEC engine, to earn EPA-estimated fuel economy of 41 miles per gallon on the highway. The HF will share its aerodynamics package with the returing Civic Hybrid, which manages a combined rating of 45 mpg (a four-mpg improvement over the outgoing Civic Hybrid) thanks to its lithium-ion battery - a Honda-first - and 1.5-liter i-VTEC engine and CVT transmission. There's also a natural gas-powered Civic GX.

While those two models aim for the ultimate in fuel efficiency, we imagine that the standard Sedan and Coupe models will make up the bulk of sales. Buyers will find a 1.8-liter i-VTEC 4-cylinder engine underhood with 140 horsepower that scores an EPA-estimated 39 mpg on the highway (a three-mpg improvement over the last Civic). The Civic soldiers on with a five-speed automatic at a time when most of its competitors are packing six ratios.

And then, of course, there's the sporty Si model. As the Civic that's meant to steal the hearts of performance lovers, it's nice to see a new 2.4-liter powerplant with 200 horsepower mated to a six-speed manual gearbox. Perhaps more importantly, the larger mill pumps out 170 pound-feet of torque, a 22-percent increase over the outgoing twist-starved Si. All that and an additional two mpg on the highway (31 mpg estimated) ought to make for a reasonably fun everyday commuter.

And now to the styling. We'll start off on a positive note: the 2012 Honda Civic is not ugly. Problem is, it's also not hugely attractive. In fact, *yawn* it's not really anything. Both inside and out, this latest Civic is barely distinguishable from the previous generation, and as competitors continue pushing their design envelope forward, well... we really expect more these days. Let's hope the driving dynamics live up to our lofty expectations, and let's also hope that Honda accidentally left the shipping blocks in the cars it used for photography - particularly the Si models - or the new model looks a bit high-riding.

In any case, you don't have to take our word for it. See the 2012 Civic for yourself in our high-res image gallery below and feel free to peruse the full press release after the break.

Gallery: 2012 Honda Civic

[Source: Honda]Continue reading 2012 Honda Civic launches in five flavors

2012 Honda Civic launches in five flavors originally appeared on Autoblog on Thu, 17 Feb 2011 15:40:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...

·
Banned
1,705 Posts
eww .. 2.4 engine .. i'll pass on this one .. the fun part of the civic was the engine and they throw it away for the 2.4L ..
car wouldn't look bad when lowered though ..

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
eww .. 2.4 engine .. i'll pass on this one .. the fun part of the civic was the engine and they throw it away for the 2.4L ..
car wouldn't look bad when lowered though ..
So 139lb-ft-tq @ 6100 rpms is fun eh? I have the base K series engine that makes 140 tq @ 4000 rpms and it feels weak regardless. This new engine seems better in every way except a higher redline. You get the same horsepower with 31 more torques at 2000 rpms lower than the 2.0 liter. This engine will make the Si a better daily driver as most people don't rev there cars past 6000 rpms 90% of the times.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
So 139lb-ft-tq @ 6100 rpms is fun eh? I have the base K series engine that makes 140 tq @ 4000 rpms and it feels weak regardless. This new engine seems better in every way except a higher redline. You get the same horsepower with 31 more torques at 2000 rpms lower than the 2.0 liter. This engine will make the Si a better daily driver as most people don't rev there cars past 6000 rpms 90% of the times.
Well said.

One reason I hated driving my brothers si was that I had to rev the engine so high to get any type of decent power.

·
Banned
1,705 Posts
the 06-11 si was fun to drive .. yes not really powerful down low but people who buy these cars already know about that .. it's honda's way of doing things and now they try to make it like a stupid corolla

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Meh compared to the 06-11. Exterior is nothing special or groundbreaking, interior looks worse, extra torque will be a nice addition though. Generic designs and re-using current motors... WTF Honda?

I don't really get why anyone would choose one over a new Focus or Elantra, both of which are far nicer cars inside and out and brand new from the ground-up designs with advanced features and new motors. Look at the navi unit? It looks like the same 5 year old unit in the current Civic. Does Honda even have anything comparable to Fords Sync? I'll keep my '11 Elantra thanks.

And this is coming from someone who had an 07 Si and was a former Honda fanboy.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Meh compared to the 06-11. Exterior is nothing special or groundbreaking, interior looks worse, extra torque will be a nice addition though. Generic designs and re-using current motors... WTF Honda?

I don't really get why anyone would choose one over a new Focus or Elantra, both of which are far nicer cars inside and out and brand new from the ground-up designs with advanced features and new motors. Look at the navi unit? It looks like the same 5 year old unit in the current Civic. Does Honda even have anything comparable to Fords Sync? I'll keep my '11 Elantra thanks.

And this is coming from someone who had an 07 Si and was a former Honda fanboy.
This

I was going to wait for this to come out and so glad i didnt. Bet they do a refresh within the next year or two lol. And im almost positive the 7th gen civics will get more love than this, and thats saying alot because 7th gens get NO love at all lol.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Yeah not my cup of tea. Make an Si-RW for a rear wheel version and Ill buy one.

I now they were trying to improve MPG by making it more dynamic, but it really does look bad. Its official Hyundai > Honda. The red one does look like an Altima Coupe.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts