Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Banned
78,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Filed under: Chicago Auto Show, Sedan, Hyundai

2012 Hyundai Genesis Sedan - Click above for high-res image gallery

It seems like only yesterday when Hyundai shocked the auto industry with the Genesis Sedan. The hard truth, though, is that the Korean automaker's first foray into the luxury market arrived in 2008 as a 2009 model. Hyundai doesn't intend to rest on its laurels, and new updates for the 2012 model year are being debuted during the Chicago Auto Show this week.

No self-respecting mid-cycle refresh is complete without an all-new powertrain, and the Genesis is blessed with with a doozy. An all-new R-Spec trim level will sport an all-new direct-injected 5.0-liter V8 - a mill that's also destined for the larger Equus. The new powerplant is Hyundai's most powerful engine ever, producing 429 horsepower at 6,400 rpm and 376 pound-feet of torque at 5,000 rpm. That's 85.6 very impressive horsepower per liter out of a naturally aspirated engine, or more grunt per unit than the competition from Lexus and Mercedes-Benz.

Impressive stuff, and Hyundai follows through with a new eight-speed automatic transmission that was developed in-house. The new tranny will help the R-Spec model achieve estimated fuel economy of 25 miles per gallon on the highway and 16 mpg around town. The R-Spec model will also feature unique 19-inch wheels, along with more aggressive suspension and steering tuning.

The Genesis Sedan will continue to offer the 4.6-liter Tau V8 and 3.8-liter V6, but changes were made to boost both power and efficiency. The 4.6-liter V8 will now reward the driver with 385 ponies thanks to tweaked induction and timing. Wha't smore, the updated eight-cylinder mill will now hit 26 mpg on the highway, up from 25 mpg. The 3.8-liter engine has added direct injection for 2012, pumping horsepower up by a substantial 15 percent - 333 horsepower and 291 lb-ft for you number crunchers out there, up 43 ponies and 27 lb-ft from the old engine.

Hyundai rounded out changes for the 2012 model year with a few design tweaks to keep aesthetics fresh. Updates include a reworked grille and front fascia, incorporating new headlights with LED accents and dark chrome headlamp inserts. Out back, Hyundai added new taillamps, a revised fascia and integrated dual exhaust tips. Other changes include a host of interior updates and the new Genesis 3.8 Premium and Technology Packages. Hit the jump to read over Hyundai's extensive press release, and click on the photo above or the gallery below for high-res pics.

Gallery: 2012 Hyundai Genesis Sedan

[Source: Hyundai]Continue reading 2012 Hyundai Genesis sedan gets new 5.0L V8, upgraded V6

2012 Hyundai Genesis sedan gets new 5.0L V8, upgraded V6 originally appeared on Autoblog on Wed, 09 Feb 2011 10:46:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
That V6 engine sounds great!!! But remember Hyundai rates the sedan lower than the coupe so I would say expect 340-345 hp from the coupe. I remember when a certain member on this site said Hyundai won't add any more power to the coupe. Glad to know you're wrong buddy.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Hyundai rates the sedan lower than the coupe?!

·
Registered
213 Posts
I read in Motor Trend that there may be an R-Spec Genesis with a 5.0 at 429 horsepower with a new 8 speed auto. It's in the WOT section. And no not a coupe, the Sedan. Yum

·
Cynicism Embodied
206 Posts
I read in Motor Trend that there may be an R-Spec Genesis with a 5.0 at 429 horsepower with a new 8 speed auto. It's in the WOT section. And no not a coupe, the Sedan. Yum

Uh yeah, that was already confirmed by Hyundai in the link I posted above...

·
Registered
108 Posts
Is the engine rated lower or is it that the engines are manufactured differently (intake, exhaust, etc.)? Anyway they should probably come away with 340+ in the coupe as a few have said.

·
Registered
842 Posts
hmm 15% hp boost with Direct injection on the 3.8 sedan? Bank on this is as your power boost for the BK refresh.

The refreshed sedan styling is SO nice I'm loving it at every angle now.

·
Genesis Coupe FTW
1,740 Posts
that an awesome facelift !

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
Is the engine rated lower or is it that the engines are manufactured differently (intake, exhaust, etc.)? Anyway they should probably come away with 340+ in the coupe as a few have said.
I believe you're right about the intake/exhaust part.

·
***** Know It All
415 Posts
So the sedan was just announced today with the 3.8DI at 333HP, so its looking like 340ish for the coupe and the 274 Turbo for the 2.0s

·
Premium Member
16,013 Posts
The sedan gets a lower hp rating because the intake manifold is different and a tweeked ecu.

·
Registered
521 Posts
One of these reporters need to ask Hyundai if that engine is coming for the coupe refresh. It is a natural question and I will be surprised if it does not get asked.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
So the sedan was just announced today with the 3.8DI at 333HP, so its looking like 340ish for the coupe and the 274 Turbo for the 2.0s
Sounds a lot more realistic than the v8 nonsense.
340 on the v6 is not enough for me to run to my dealer and talk trade but it would be enough for me to wait if i was thinking about buying one. Even more so for 2.0 owners.

·
BK: Have it your way.
380 Posts
NICE. I will take that exact model, please.

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
Sounds a lot more realistic than the v8 nonsense.
340 on the v6 is not enough for me to run to my dealer and talk trade but it would be enough for me to wait if i was thinking about buying one. Even more so for 2.0 owners.
Exactly. This news is really irrelavent to me and quiet a few of us that have the 3.8 already. How many of us are heading straight to the dealer and swapping cars??

Personally I don't see what all the excitement is about Hyundai upping the HP on a car I already own. But, like I sated before, R-Spec Sedan, 429 HP, thats another story.

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
I think I am more impressed by the torque than the horsepower. I was already cool with 306hp when I test drove it but the torque felt kind of soft in the mid-range.

·
FUNCTION OVER FORM
5,383 Posts
That V6 engine sounds great!!! But remember Hyundai rates the sedan lower than the coupe so I would say expect 340-345 hp from the coupe. I remember when a certain member on this site said Hyundai won't add any more power to the coupe. Glad to know you're wrong buddy.
2010 Genesis sedan V6 is 290hp/262tq
2010 Genesis coupe V6 is 306hp/266tq
I believe you're right about the intake/exhaust part.
The sedan gets a lower hp rating because the intake manifold is different and a tweeked ecu.
+1.......:point:

so if the new sedan is at 333Hp, I would suspect 350Hp coming to the coupe V/6.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts