Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!

Help would be greatly appreciated. My daughter was driving her Genesis and the coolant hose at the bottom of the radiator came off. Car overheated and shut off after about a quarter mile. Now when you try to start it the starter seems to only turn half speed and it won't crank.

I've taken the plug wires out, there's spark. I've looked at the cylinders moving while trying to start it and they move normally. Just slow. But stroke all the way and no knocking. If the motor was damaged I should hear it since it's an interference motor. They also move in sequence correctly so the timing belt didn't jump.

I've replaced the starter since I've seen that get killed if she tried starting it while hot or while still running, also the battery since it's four years old. Still the same behavior. I'm trying to eliminate everything I can for the block and cylinders and can't come up with anything else.

Any thoughts? Is there a temp cutoff that has to be reset? No codes on the computer, so that's also good. Is there a fuse due to the engine overheating or other? I can't imagine a thermostat causing this, though if someone knows of that causing a problem like this shout out.

Thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm assuming the timing chain didn't jump, if anyone knows better or something I should check let me know. I haven't taken the valve cover off, just looked in while I had the plugs out and verified they were moving together correctly

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a charger and start assister, kept the battery on the charger for a couple days

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I checked compression, on the first cylinder (closest to the headlights) I only get 80, the other three are at 0. It's obviously a compression problem, not sure now if that's going to be timing or valve cover

·
I'd rather do it myself
19,184 Posts
Sounds like blown head gasket maybe. Cylinders are full of coolant hence the slow crank.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's what I'm wondering too, now. Debating between replacing the head gasket or just rebuilding (and re-boring) the entire engine

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One last observation, the engine oil looks fine. Not muddy like I'd expect if a bunch of water and coolant got into it

1 - 10 of 10 Posts