Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Bought this genesis coupe (used) drove maybe an hour and a half back home and engine blows white smoke and “sparks” on highway, I pull over check under the car and oil is leaking slightly above the oil pan then tow it home. Next day I take check oil which is black but no metal shavings and will not crank over. I’m making this thread just asking for some guidance or help on what’s the best way to get this car running again at an affordable cost because engines are upwards to $5k rn and the gencoupe store has rebuild kits for $800-$1600. I’m pretty new to Hyundai but I am willing to learn anything mechanical. Please help.

Edit. Oil light turned on, boost gauge started reading weird, steering wheel locked up, and power to pedal was cut when this happened.

·
Registered
2014 Hoondai 🏎️💨 GC 2.0T FBO+SFR
168 Posts
Sorry to hear about this unfortunate event.
Seems like the pistons rings wanted some fresh air and made an emergency exit through the exhaust.
Needs an engine.
Probably cats too.
Was the oil low?
How hard were you driving it?

FYI I had two engines blow up after driving on highway for more that 1:30hr.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry to hear about this unfortunate event.
Seems like the pistons rings wanted some fresh air and made an emergency exit through the exhaust.
Needs an engine.
Probably cats too.
Was the oil low?
How hard were you driving it?

FYI I had two engines blow up after driving on highway for more that 1:30hr.
I wasn’t driving it to hard, pretty casual highway driving and the oil levels were fine before I left surprise, Az. I plan on taking they engine out today and diagnose it, if you have snap I could show you. No chance in rebuilding by the sounds of my scenario?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Yeah you can rebuild and it will be even more reliable than swap but the issue with the rebuild is that you have to send it to someone to do it or at least to check after it's done. They have great rebuilt kits only. Hope when you open it up it's not too bad. My snap is chene777killer

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wasn’t driving it to hard, pretty casual highway driving and the oil levels were fine before I left surprise, Az. I plan on taking they engine out today and diagnose it, if you have snap I could show you. No chance in rebuilding by the sounds of my scenario?
Yeah you can rebuild and it will be even more reliable than swap but the issue with the rebuild is that you have to send it to someone to do it or at least to check after it's done. They have great rebuilt kits only. Hope when you open it up it's not too bad. My snap is chene777killer
just added you I’ll ask some more questions there

·
Registered
126 Posts
Curious about the comment of having to "send" the engine somewhere to be checked/built/tested?

Does that mean a local engine shop would be unable to machine the block (bore/sleeve/head/valve repairs?)

·
Registered
168 Posts
Curious about the comment of having to "send" the engine somewhere to be checked/built/tested?

Does that mean a local engine shop would be unable to machine the block (bore/sleeve/head/valve repairs?)
Yeah any machine shop can check it out that's what I mean. Not necessarily a specific one. Just find a good one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts