Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all I have a question regarding rear stock shocks. I have been noticing the last couple times going out on the road that I hear possibly a clunky sound followed by the slight feel of that clunk coming from the rear. Today I got underneath the car and gave everything a look over.
Everything seemed to be in order but I did notice the passenger side rear damper had what look to be oil on it.
The driver side damper was clean.
I pushed down on the right rear of the car and it seemed to rebound properly.
What are the indications of blowing out a shock?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
237 Posts
Indicators of a blown shock would be the car pulling to that side, and pretty much the car will ride like sh*t lol. That oily residue looks like leftover mess from the last person who worked on the car seeming as i can see finger prints in it, i don't think thats from a leak.

Make sure the two bolts on the top of your rear shocks are torqued properly and id also check all of your swaybar and swaybar end link bolts. Those are usually the culprits when clunking is heard from the rear on stock suspension.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Indicators of a blown shock would be the car pulling to that side, and pretty much the car will ride like sh*t lol. That oily residue looks like leftover mess from the last person who worked on the car seeming as i can see finger prints in it, i don't think thats from a leak.

Make sure the two bolts on the top of your rear shocks are torqued properly and id also check all of your swaybar and swaybar end link bolts. Those are usually the culprits when clunking is heard from the rear on stock suspension.
It was definitely a leak. I swapped both rear shocks yesterday. The one in the picture leaked fluid all over the driveway when I jacked the car up on the driver's side. When I got the passenger shock removed it was easier to compress than the Driver side that wasn't leaking.

·
shorttrack
1,605 Posts

Wrong,blown shock or strut will not cause pulling and by his pic it is exactly what a blown shock looks like .

·
shorttrack
1,605 Posts
It was definitely a leak. I swapped both rear shocks yesterday. The one in the picture leaked fluid all over the driveway when I jacked the car up on the driver's side. When I got the passenger shock removed it was easier to compress than the Driver side that wasn't leaking.

My OEM rear shocks blew shortly after I lowered my 14' R-spec .I replaced them with Bilstein B8 rear shocks from Rock Auto.com .From Rock Auto the B8 series are for lowered cars, cost $125.00 a piece .B6 series Bistein shocks are for non lowered cars and cost the same . NOTE: these shocks absorbers cost $250.00 a piece all over the net ,Rock Auto has a good deal on them for sure .

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I replaced them with bilstien b6. I got them for 120 a piece from import Image racing. The car was lowered on eibach Sportline springs with the factory shocks when I first purchased the vehicle but I bought factory springs and replaced the Sportlines. That was over a year ago but it still could have damaged the shock.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts