Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven’t been able to find any topics on this or it’s hard to locate. So I joined to try and get some help if any possible or another link to a different post. Recently I have been having problems with my manual transmission. I don’t know if anyone has experience or knowledge about this problem. As I am clueless after days and weeks of research. I will list my problem down below. I am probably gonna be taking it to a shop here in a few days. Any advice or ideas are welcomed. Will give updates about taking it to a shop as I go.

Problem:
Car is turned off and I can shift through all my gears without using my clutch pedal.

When the car is turned on I attempt to use the clutch but when I shift gears it won’t engage and there is resistance, I release the clutch pedal and it’s the same feeling not going into gear and resistance.

·
Registered
2013 genesis coupe 2.0t R spec
8 Posts
sounds like it could be a hydraulic problem or a worn-out clutch. in a safe, open place try to start the car with the car in gear. does it bog/ move?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
So I went to go and try and start it in first gear. It started up no problem and when I would release the clutch and give it small gas to get it going it would creep forward and want to drive. I then accidentally stalled it in the process trying to be extremely careful for space. Now I can shift my gears with the clutch while the car is on and when going through the gears they will grind slightly. I can still shift the gears without using the clutch pedal while the car is off. Each time I shift into any gear there is a loud thudding sound in the transmission. I had this problem and assumed it was the clutch slave cylinder inside the transmission so I had that replaced along side with a new clutch with no problems during that process. But after replacing the clutch and clutch slave cylinder and bleeding the clutch line I have the same problem after.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did you prefill the slave, before putting it in?
I had this issue before putting in the new slave. After putting in the new slave it works fine no issues with it. This issue was before any work was done on the transmission. New slave new clutch, Same problem as old slave and old clutch.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Valeo clutch. Just replace the clutch and clutch slave cylinder. The flywheel and clutch were still in good condition when inspected but we still put in a new clutch and clutch slave cylinder. Didn’t pre-bleed slave, but followed detailed instructions from a long and detailed post of “snoopy” I think his username is along the lines on this forum page. Bleeding was done correctly and thoroughly.

·
Premium Member
16,120 Posts
You're suppose to fill the slave (fill a little, compress the slave by hand, fill more, etc. then plug the tube, install, then unplug when ready to connect the lines)

You "could" have gotten away with not doing all of that... but obviously it didn't work for you.

You can:
Opening the slave bleeder
then try to stick a long thin screw driver into the hole that the tube for the slave comes out of, and try to compress the slave a few times. don't tear the slave boot.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You're suppose to fill the slave (fill a little, compress the slave by hand, fill more, etc. then plug the tube, install, then unplug when ready to connect the lines)

You "could" have gotten away with not doing all of that... but obviously it didn't work for you.
I had these issues before changing those. I thought it was the clutch slave or clutch. But it’s clearly not the issue. After changing those parts it does the same thing as if nothing was repaired when changing those parts. I can USE my clutch pedal and shift into gear so the clutch slave isn’t the problem. It is working just fine and doing it’s job. I am thinking it is more of something wrong with the transmission and internal.

·
Premium Member
16,120 Posts
I had these issues before changing those. I thought it was the clutch slave or clutch. But it’s clearly not the issue. After changing those parts it does the same thing as if nothing was repaired when changing those parts. I can USE my clutch pedal and shift into gear so the clutch slave isn’t the problem. It is working just fine and doing it’s job. I am thinking it is more of something wrong with the transmission and internal.
do you even know how the clutch system works?
If the engine is not running (nothing spinning) and you are able to change gears, then it's not the transmission.

if you aren't able to change gears while the engine is running (things spinning) it means the pressure plate isn't releasing enough pressure off the clutch disc... Meaning the TOB/slave isn't pressing enough against the pressure plate.

If air is in the hydraulics, the air compresses, not allowing enough force to be applied to the slave.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
do you even know how the clutch system works?
If the engine is not running (nothing spinning) and you are able to change gears, then it's not the transmission.

if you aren't able to change gears while the engine is running (things spinning) it means the pressure plate isn't releasing enough pressure off the clutch disc... Meaning the TOB/slave isn't pressing enough against the pressure plate.

If air is in the hydraulics, the air compresses, not allowing enough force to be applied to the slave.
Yes I understand the fundamentals of a clutch system. Car is off I can shift gears WITHOUT CLUTCH PEDAL USAGE, so car is not running foot is not on any pedal I can shift through all gears. Car is on I can shift WITH CLUTCH PEDAL USAGE but if I have the back tires jacked up in the air I can shift without the clutch and the tires rotate. I start the car in first gear WITH FOOT ON CLUTCH PEDAL it starts and doesn’t move. As I slowly release clutch pedal is creeps forward. Gonna be taking it to a shop to diagnose it. Will give update after all is figured out. Thanks for the help and advice.

·
Premium Member
16,120 Posts
Yes I understand the fundamentals of a clutch system. Car is off I can shift gears WITHOUT CLUTCH PEDAL USAGE, so car is not running foot is not on any pedal I can shift through all gears. Car is on I can shift WITH CLUTCH PEDAL USAGE but if I have the back tires jacked up in the air I can shift without the clutch and the tires rotate. I start the car in first gear WITH FOOT ON CLUTCH PEDAL it starts and doesn’t move. As I slowly release clutch pedal is creeps forward. Gonna be taking it to a shop to diagnose it. Will give update after all is figured out. Thanks for the help and advice.
when you have it on jack stands and go through your whole process, there is NO LOAD on the drivetrain.
The transmission has helical cut gears, so they will slot together when there is no load.

The whole proper install of the slave is one of the main reasons why I've been saying for years that it's stupid.
Should have been a fork and slave setup from the factory. Replacing a slave shouldn't (opinion) involve dropping the transmission.

Search around the forums, others have had the same issue where it would go into certain gears normally, but not in others. replacing the slave, and/or a proper bleed resolved their issues.

If you want to waste time/money taking to a shop, before doing what I suggested first, then it's on you.

EDIT: FYI "new parts" can fail just as often as old parts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
How much play do you have in your clutch pedal? The clutch rod in our cars are known to wear down overtime. I suggest you to check your rod if it had a nice dent in within the circle of the rod then replace it with an adjustable clutch rod. They are a lot more durable than the oem clutch rod.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts