Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, I've had my car at the local dealership about a half dozen times since last July to get the rev hang issue fixed. With my 2013 3.8 Track Auto, when using manual mode, the rpm will hang at 3,500-4,000 with my foot off the gas pedal, on level ground for 15 or more seconds. It would have continued even longer but I needed to hit the brakes to stop. It does this consistently after it's warmed up. There is absolutely no engine braking when I down shift, and I have to fight the engine with the brakes in order to stop the car. The techs at the local dealership experienced the problem, and one of them was so alarmed that he wrote it up as "unintended acceleration" in order to get Hyundai to take notice. I just spoke with the service manager this morning, and he said he was told by Hyundai that this is normal for this car - they all do it. Well, if they all do it, obviously, they all need to be fixed! Does anyone on this forum have a 2013 3.8 auto that cruises on a level road at 3,500,4,000 rpm for more than 15 seconds with their foot off the gas pedal? Is there a TSB or a class action law suit? If Hyundai won't fix this, I'm going to look into a lemon law buy back, because this rev hang is so severe and absolutely ridiculous. It takes all the fun out of using manual mode, and it's a waste of gas and brakes.

·
'13 3.8 Track
858 Posts
I have a '13 Track with automatic, but I haven't noticed this. The *closest* thing I've experienced is that on a level road when I let off the gas it sometimes coasts really well...meaning, there doesn't seem to be engine breaking happening. The RPM's are definitely lower than what you describe, and I chalk mine up to the efficiency of the high gears in the transmission.

Maybe if you describe what you do to make it happen, I can try and duplicate it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a '13 Track with automatic, but I haven't noticed this. The *closest* thing I've experienced is that on a level road when I let off the gas it sometimes coasts really well...meaning, there doesn't seem to be engine breaking happening. The RPM's are definitely lower than what you describe, and I chalk mine up to the efficiency of the high gears in the transmission.

Maybe if you describe what you do to make it happen, I can try and duplicate it.

Thanks for the feedback. If I'm at a stop and put the console shifter in sport mode, then, either by using the column shifter or the console shifter, I put the transmission into first gear and accelerate up to 4,000 rpm and release the throttle, the rpm will drop to about 3,500, then stay there. If there's even a very slight down hill, the rpm will go up even higher. It's as though I set the cruise control, but cruise is off. If I shift into second gear, accelerate up to 4,000 rpm and release the throttle, the same thing happens. The only time I don't have this crazy rev hang is when the engine is cold. It is the worst in traffic or after the car has been parked for a little while after a thorough warm up. This doesn't happen in drive or sport mode, though. Only in manual mode.

·
'13 3.8 Track
858 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. If I'm at a stop and put the console shifter in sport mode, then, either by using the column shifter or the console shifter, I put the transmission into first gear and accelerate up to 4,000 rpm and release the throttle, the rpm will drop to about 3,500, then stay there. If there's even a very slight down hill, the rpm will go up even higher. It's as though I set the cruise control, but cruise is off. If I shift into second gear, accelerate up to 4,000 rpm and release the throttle, the same thing happens. The only time I don't have this crazy rev hang is when the engine is cold. It is the worst in traffic or after the car has been parked for a little while after a thorough warm up. This doesn't happen in drive or sport mode, though. Only in manual mode.
Just to be clear, you're putting it in Sport mode, but then selecting "1" using the stick or the paddles? Once you shift with the paddles or stick while in Sport mode, it will not automatically shift until you hit red-line anymore. There's another thread on here about that.

So, the sequence is, warm it up, drive for a bit then come to a stop. Put it in Sport mode, but then use paddles (or shifter) to put it in 1st. Then accelerate to 4,000 RPM then let off the gas. See if hangs. Try shifting to 2nd and go to 4,000 RPM and see if it hangs, too. That's it?

·
'13 3.8 Track
858 Posts
OK, just went out and tried this about 6 times. Followed the sequence outlined above. Mine did not hang at any RPM, but I did notice that engine braking does not feel like it would in a car with a direct link to the throttle. Stated another way, it appears the ECU is adding a bit of throttle while slowing down which essentially reduces the engine-braking effect.

Not sure why they would program it this way, but I can tell you that it wouldn't bother me under normal driving conditions. However, I am going to autocross my car this year and the rev hang that you speak of would be a problem there. From what I can tell, though, I'm not experiencing your problem.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just to be clear, you're putting it in Sport mode, but then selecting "1" using the stick or the paddles? Once you shift with the paddles or stick while in Sport mode, it will not automatically shift until you hit red-line anymore. There's another thread on here about that.

So, the sequence is, warm it up, drive for a bit then come to a stop. Put it in Sport mode, but then use paddles (or shifter) to put it in 1st. Then accelerate to 4,000 RPM then let off the gas. See if hangs. Try shifting to 2nd and go to 4,000 RPM and see if it hangs, too. That's it?
Yup, that's it. And as I mentioned, it will also do the same thing after manually shifting up to 2nd gear. 3rd gear, too, although it's most noticeable and annoying in 1st and 2nd when engine braking should have more effect.
Apparently, Hyundai is incorrect when they say they all the 2013 3.8 track autos it, which I suspected. This is so bad on my car that no one would tolerate it without making a huge fuss.

·
'13 3.8 Track
858 Posts
Any rev hang is bad, but I'm not sure why you ever drive that way unless you were on a tight autocross course where you were not upshifting. I can definitely see it being a problem there, so if it happens when I race, I'll let you know.

Good luck with getting them to sort it out. Makes me think an ECU swap is in order. Speaking of which, you're running the stock ECU, right? Not tuned?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Any rev hang is bad, but I'm not sure why you ever drive that way unless you were on a tight autocross course where you were not upshifting. I can definitely see it being a problem there, so if it happens when I race, I'll let you know.

Good luck with getting them to sort it out. Makes me think an ECU swap is in order. Speaking of which, you're running the stock ECU, right? Not tuned?
I like to use the paddle shifters simply for driving enjoyment and control the gears and engine rpm as though it was a true manual. When I release the throttle, I expect the rpms to drop and the car to slow down - like every other car I've ever driven. I considered buying a manual because that's what all my previous performance cars have had, but with 8 gears and paddle shifters, I thought I could have some fun with the automatic. Plus the manual didn't get very good reviews. I hope some other 2013 3.8 auto owners will post here and let me know if their cars stay at 3,500-4,000 rpm at closed throttle on level ground in 1st or 2nd gear. As I mentioned, Hyundai is now saying they all do it, and that's their excuse for not fixing the problem.
Yes, it's 100% stock, and I wish they would swap out the ECU.
Thanks for your feedback!

·
Registered
394 Posts
I like to use the paddle shifters simply for driving enjoyment and control the gears and engine rpm as though it was a true manual. When I release the throttle, I expect the rpms to drop and the car to slow down - like every other car I've ever driven. I considered buying a manual because that's what all my previous performance cars have had, but with 8 gears and paddle shifters, I thought I could have some fun with the automatic. Plus the manual didn't get very good reviews. I hope some other 2013 3.8 auto owners will post here and let me know if their cars stay at 3,500-4,000 rpm at closed throttle on level ground in 1st or 2nd gear. As I mentioned, Hyundai is now saying they all do it, and that's their excuse for not fixing the problem.

Yes, it's 100% stock, and I wish they would swap out the ECU.

Thanks for your feedback!

You'll find that Hyundai will try to jip you out of warranty as much as possible. No, your rev hang is not normal unless you're doing something wrong and I assume you're not that stupid lol. Get it fixed, call corporate if you have to.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
192 Posts
Just thinking out loud here... maybe Hyundai is correct. It's possible that when the car is in "sport mode" it's programmed to keep the revs up unless another gear is selected by the driver. When the car drops down to 3500 rpm it gives it a little bit of gas to keep the revs from dropping to a level too low for "sports" driving.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just thinking out loud here... maybe Hyundai is correct. It's possible that when the car is in "sport mode" it's programmed to keep the revs up unless another gear is selected by the driver. When the car drops down to 3500 rpm it gives it a little bit of gas to keep the revs from dropping to a level too low for "sports" driving.
I don't want any car I own to cruise down the street indefinitely at more than halfway to redline after I've released the throttle. I need the engine to respond to my inputs. If I don't want to slow down, I'll hold it at part throttle or set the cruise control. Also, this car did not do this when I test drove it. If it had, I definitely wouldn't have bought it.
I hope there's more than one person reading who owns a 2013 3.8 auto and can confirm that these cars aren't supposed to do what mine does.

·
Registered
18 Posts
hey. I have similar issue with a 2013 3.8 MT! When i press the clutch to change a gear the revs will rise to 3500rpm. To "fix" it i have to go into neutral and release the clutch. Anybody know what's wrong?

·
2013 3.8 R-Spec
360 Posts
^^ I have a 13 3.8 R mine runs normal. You and the OP need to keep going to corporate until they resolve the issue, it doesn't sound normal to me.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
2012 Gen. 3.8 Track w/ZF
811 Posts
So, I've had my car at the local dealership about a half dozen times since last July to get the rev hang issue fixed. With my 2013 3.8 Track Auto, when using manual mode, the rpm will hang at 3,500-4,000 with my foot off the gas pedal, on level ground for 15 or more seconds. It would have continued even longer but I needed to hit the brakes to stop. It does this consistently after it's warmed up. There is absolutely no engine braking when I down shift, and I have to fight the engine with the brakes in order to stop the car. The techs at the local dealership experienced the problem, and one of them was so alarmed that he wrote it up as "unintended acceleration" in order to get Hyundai to take notice. I just spoke with the service manager this morning, and he said he was told by Hyundai that this is normal for this car - they all do it. Well, if they all do it, obviously, they all need to be fixed! Does anyone on this forum have a 2013 3.8 auto that cruises on a level road at 3,500,4,000 rpm for more than 15 seconds with their foot off the gas pedal? Is there a TSB or a class action law suit? If Hyundai won't fix this, I'm going to look into a lemon law buy back, because this rev hang is so severe and absolutely ridiculous. It takes all the fun out of using manual mode, and it's a waste of gas and brakes.
I have a '12 Track auto and mine has never done this, and I'm approaching 48,000 miles.

·
2012 Gen. 3.8 Track w/ZF
811 Posts
My bad! I thought it was a 12. I didn't read it right because I first looked at it without my readers on! Oops!

I'd wager though that if the 13s have the rev match feature, there may be a problem because of that.

·
Registered
186 Posts
OK, just went out and tried this about 6 times. Followed the sequence outlined above. Mine did not hang at any RPM, but I did notice that engine braking does not feel like it would in a car with a direct link to the throttle. Stated another way, it appears the ECU is adding a bit of throttle while slowing down which essentially reduces the engine-braking effect.
Yeah, this is essentially what mine does. When I let off the revs drop back to about 3000 RPM and sorta hovers there for a few seconds. The car really doesn't have enough engine breaking to slow down at any appreciable rate. I agree with your assessment of how it feels like the ECU is artificially holding the throttle up a bit but it's not as scary sounding as the OP's situation.

·
Registered
588 Posts
That is such as half-assed reply from Hyundai saying that "they all do it" and that it's normal..wtf? No it's not normal that is bullshit
I'd file a vehicle safety complaint with the NHTSA. if you really do have a write up from the dealership indicating "unintended acceleration" and that Hyundai still won't resolve it, they'll take notice - especially after the Toyota fiasco.

Everyone in the same boat should do the same:
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/index.xhtml

1 - 20 of 28 Posts